Smokers shafted again?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by qman, Sep 28, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am not a smoker (anymore) and was all in favour of the ban but FFS where is the love in this country? Smokers are now going to be in contravention of the new highway code and potentially the law. Poor feckers. Looks like smokers are the modern lepers. Perhaps they should start their own colony.
  2. Well, stop me from smoking at the wheel and, within 40 minutes, I'll be far more dangerous from that than from having a fag in my hand :evil:
  3. As far as I know they've always been able to do you you for smoking while driving, they just haven't bothered. If they can get you for eating an apple or a sandwich then why not for smoking?

The highway code may only be guidance but I think it is all enforceable in law somewhere down the line. I gave up smoking last Christmas so can only feel mildly smug about it all. Gone are the days when I would roll a fag and light it while driving and using a mobile phone. Looking back it might have been a bit irresponsible.
  4. 8O

Can someone please tell me when taking your hand off the wheel to scratch your head becomes a criminal offence? Can someone also tell me when blinking will be banned while driving! :roll:

5. If you actually read it, its not saying the police are going to pull you over if they spot you having a fag whilst driving (because they are too busy pulling over all those drivers who still use mobiles whilst driving?), what it says is that if you are involved in an accident and it is discovered that whilst driving you where...

1. Smoking
    2. Eating a Kebab
    3. Getting a blow job

Then these will be taken into consideration and YOU COULD be guilty of driving without due care and attention
  6. What it says is

Avoid distractions when driving or riding such as

loud music (this may mask other sounds)
    trying to read maps
    inserting a cassette or CD or tuning a radio
    arguing with your passengers or other road users
    eating and drinking

Not mandatory but if you get caught and Mr Plod wants to he may well give you a ticket.

As far as I am concerned if I can't do the other things tough tit on your smoking, stop and have a rest and a fag.
  7. old_fat_and_hairy

old_fat_and_hairy LE Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

About 12 weeks after the next election, if Broon and the rest of the gang get back in.
  8. Bloody apple-eating/sandwich chomping drivers! What they fail to realise are the dangers of passive apple/sandwich noshing for their passengers, inconsiderate sods. I took over from my co-driver once and found the gear lever smeared in margarine and a big chunk of apple inside the sun-visor...
  9. I just mean that steering with my knees at motorway speeds while staring myopically at a wrinkled fag paper and struggling with a pinch of powdered Golden Virginia while having a shouted conversation through the phone clamped to my shoulder might not have won any prizes with the Institute Of Advanced Motorists.
  10. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

So steering with my knee, eating a bacon sarnie and using my electric razor on the way to work is not on then? At least I'm using the hands free on my mobile :D
  11. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

Anyway aren't all the coppers away filling in forms or nicking people who write snotty letters to the mayor? So whose going to be around to catch you?
  12. but does it mean I can still overtake on bends whilst doing 80 in a 30 zone, as long as Im concentrating whilst doing it?
  13. :lol: Does it apply to hubble bubbles. :lol:
  14. I don 't smoke any more, but I do get in violent arguments with my sat nav
  15. nd crank it up to

Personally, I always find that a straight bit of motorway and crank it up to about 110 before rolling helps - the car seems more stable like that ;)