Smokers shafted again?

#1
I am not a smoker (anymore) and was all in favour of the ban but FFS where is the love in this country? Smokers are now going to be in contravention of the new highway code and potentially the law. Poor feckers. Looks like smokers are the modern lepers. Perhaps they should start their own colony.
 
#2
Well, stop me from smoking at the wheel and, within 40 minutes, I'll be far more dangerous from that than from having a fag in my hand :evil:
 
#3
As far as I know they've always been able to do you you for smoking while driving, they just haven't bothered. If they can get you for eating an apple or a sandwich then why not for smoking?

The highway code may only be guidance but I think it is all enforceable in law somewhere down the line. I gave up smoking last Christmas so can only feel mildly smug about it all. Gone are the days when I would roll a fag and light it while driving and using a mobile phone. Looking back it might have been a bit irresponsible.
 
#4
ericthellama said:
As far as I know they've always been able to do you you for smoking while driving, they just haven't bothered. If they can get you for eating an apple or a sandwich then why not for smoking?

The highway code may only be guidance but I think it is all enforceable in law somewhere down the line. I gave up smoking last Christmas so can only feel mildly smug about it all. Gone are the days when I would roll a fag and light it while driving and using a mobile phone. Looking back it might have been a bit irresponsible.
8O

Can someone please tell me when taking your hand off the wheel to scratch your head becomes a criminal offence? Can someone also tell me when blinking will be banned while driving! :roll:

Thanks
 
#5
If you actually read it, its not saying the police are going to pull you over if they spot you having a fag whilst driving (because they are too busy pulling over all those drivers who still use mobiles whilst driving?), what it says is that if you are involved in an accident and it is discovered that whilst driving you where...

1. Smoking
2. Eating a Kebab
3. Getting a blow job

Then these will be taken into consideration and YOU COULD be guilty of driving without due care and attention
 
#6
spunkymonkey said:
Well, stop me from smoking at the wheel and, within 40 minutes, I'll be far more dangerous from that than from having a fag in my hand :evil:
What it says is

Avoid distractions when driving or riding such as

loud music (this may mask other sounds)
trying to read maps
inserting a cassette or CD or tuning a radio
arguing with your passengers or other road users
eating and drinking
smoking


Not mandatory but if you get caught and Mr Plod wants to he may well give you a ticket.

As far as I am concerned if I can't do the other things tough tit on your smoking, stop and have a rest and a fag.
 

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
#7
Stephanie said:
ericthellama said:
As far as I know they've always been able to do you you for smoking while driving, they just haven't bothered. If they can get you for eating an apple or a sandwich then why not for smoking?

The highway code may only be guidance but I think it is all enforceable in law somewhere down the line. I gave up smoking last Christmas so can only feel mildly smug about it all. Gone are the days when I would roll a fag and light it while driving and using a mobile phone. Looking back it might have been a bit irresponsible.
8O

Can someone please tell me when taking your hand off the wheel to scratch your head becomes a criminal offence? Can someone also tell me when blinking will be banned while driving! :roll:

Thanks
About 12 weeks after the next election, if Broon and the rest of the gang get back in.
 
#8
Bloody apple-eating/sandwich chomping drivers! What they fail to realise are the dangers of passive apple/sandwich noshing for their passengers, inconsiderate sods. I took over from my co-driver once and found the gear lever smeared in margarine and a big chunk of apple inside the sun-visor...
 
#9
I just mean that steering with my knees at motorway speeds while staring myopically at a wrinkled fag paper and struggling with a pinch of powdered Golden Virginia while having a shouted conversation through the phone clamped to my shoulder might not have won any prizes with the Institute Of Advanced Motorists.
 
#10
So steering with my knee, eating a bacon sarnie and using my electric razor on the way to work is not on then? At least I'm using the hands free on my mobile :D
 
#11
Anyway aren't all the coppers away filling in forms or nicking people who write snotty letters to the mayor? So whose going to be around to catch you?
 
#15
ericthellama said:
I just mean that steering with my knees at motorway speeds while staring myopically at a wrinkled fag paper and struggling with a pinch of powdered Golden Virginia while having a shouted conversation through the phone clamped to my shoulder might not have won any prizes with the Institute Of Advanced Motorists.
nd crank it up to

Personally, I always find that a straight bit of motorway and crank it up to about 110 before rolling helps - the car seems more stable like that ;)
 
#16
drain_sniffer said:
If you actually read it, its not saying the police are going to pull you over if they spot you having a fag whilst driving (because they are too busy pulling over all those drivers who still use mobiles whilst driving?), what it says is that if you are involved in an accident and it is discovered that whilst driving you where...

1. Smoking
2. Eating a Kebab
3. Getting a blow job

Then these will be taken into consideration and YOU COULD be guilty of driving without due care and attention
Well everyone seems to have missed the fundemental...'Taking one hand of the steering wheel v.v. freqeuntly to change gear(paticlarly in heavy stop/go traffic)
 
#17
Up here in Scotland we have had more time to get used to the ban and I dont mind nipping outside for a smoke. But there seems to be a new wave of moaners on the rise. Couple of days ago the barmaid in my local said they had received a complaint from a woman who was seemingly sick of having to "walk past smokers puffing away outside the Pub", she was concerned about the effect of the smoke on her kids (in the fresh air ??).With people like this about I reckon its only a matter of time before us smokers are banned from smoking outside pubs.

The woman in question is no stranger to a fish supper and her three kids look like they put their belts on with a boomerang, the Landlord (also a smoker) suggested she may want to investigate her kids diet instead of worrying about cigarette smoke that is exhaled to the open air.
 

TheIronDuke

ADC
Book Reviewer
#18
maxi_77 said:
Avoid distractions when driving or riding such as

loud music (this may mask other sounds)
trying to read maps
inserting a cassette or CD or tuning a radio
arguing with your passengers or other road users
eating and drinking
smoking
So its still legal to get a blow job on long motorway journeys? Nice to see the voice of reason has prevailed.
 
#19
TheIronDuke said:
So its still legal to get a blow job on long motorway journeys? Nice to see the voice of reason has prevailed.
I hope so, I have had to avoid many a crash at the vital point. Once had to blame an icecream spillage for the white stain on the trousers on arrival at the inlaws once.
How dare she not do the decent thing and devour it lovingly. :D
 
#20
I don't think it'll be a drama to be honest. I cant remember the last time I actually saw a police car on the roads.


So long as they don't try and stop me smoking in my aircraft. :D
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
shagnasty The NAAFI Bar 70
stukky RAC 2
sea-king RAC 30

Similar threads

Top