Smoke Launcher/Discharger - Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Tanks, planes & ships' started by AgentWallaby, Feb 12, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm currently working on a project to design a 4 pot, 66mm smoke launcher system and would appreciate any thoughts on the existing systems currently in service.
    Pros/Cons and how they could be improved.
    -AW-

2. Not sure about the discharger, but bomb wise a CS rather than white phos grenade would be good for Warriors etc in urban / public disorder ops. As long as someone has bothered to fit the appropriate NBC pack to the wagons of course.

3. brettarider

brettarider On ROPs

My Vauxhall Astra does a good impersonation of a smoke dicharger in the morning want that?

4. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

if its integral to the helmet rather than bolted on it will be much lighter.

5. I found the smoke always smells funny. Can you change that?

6. I found that white smoke was just not....... Pretty enough. Fuscia. That's what the modern soldier wants from their smoke.

• Like Like x 1
  7. pieces of bacon

'lardons' if an EU project.

Lardon Projector.

• Like Like x 1
  8. A good pipe .... some rough shag ... fill bowl ... light ... make smoke ... job jobbed .

9. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

FTFY

• Like Like x 1
  10. You can have white or magnolia.

Skirting is only available in white.

11. I'm betting you wished you'd never asked now...

...but while we are on the subject, could you include an option for something like this for parades...just to add a bit of colour and sparkle, particularly if the weather is not so good.

[​IMG]

Rodney2q

12. A (semi) serious response...

I know of quite a few instances where MBSG have been fired by accident. The US system incorporates an arming switch on the firing control. A simple toggle switch that you flick to arm prior to pressing the firing button.

M243_M257_M259.png

Our system just has the twin buttons which arent that well protected against accidental use.

[​IMG]

They are usually fired inadvertantly by bored soldiers messing about in the turret while on stag, maybe non turret crewed soldiers who arent used to their surroundings, they're tired, it's dark and wet... 'What's this button for?'

Although it can get quite exciting when the young lad on stag fires a full pot of four white phos directly over the BFI that his Troop are guarding, oh how we laughed... while running in the opposite direction. :neutral:

13. The Brazilians are working on one. Indoor tests went well a few weeks ago.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Smaller, lighter, cheaper?

15. no arming switch? i would have thought that could be a winner of an idea.
    what about an optional, simple aiming option as well? an airburst towards your enemy could be useful, say 4 settings "N, S, E, W" then a main default setting being general airburst if you dont know where they are!