Smoke Launcher/Discharger - Thoughts?

I'm currently working on a project to design a 4 pot, 66mm smoke launcher system and would appreciate any thoughts on the existing systems currently in service.
Pros/Cons and how they could be improved.
-AW-

Not sure about the discharger, but bomb wise a CS rather than white phos grenade would be good for Warriors etc in urban / public disorder ops. As long as someone has bothered to fit the appropriate NBC pack to the wagons of course.

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
if its integral to the helmet rather than bolted on it will be much lighter.

Legs

ADC
Book Reviewer
I found that white smoke was just not....... Pretty enough. Fuscia. That's what the modern soldier wants from their smoke.

A good pipe .... some rough shag ... fill bowl ... light ... make smoke ... job jobbed .

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
I found that white smoke was just not....... Pretty enough. Fuscia. That's what the modern soldier wants from their smoke.
You can have white or magnolia.

Skirting is only available in white.

I'm currently working on a project to design a 4 pot, 66mm smoke launcher system and would appreciate any thoughts on the existing systems currently in service.
Pros/Cons and how they could be improved.
-AW-
I'm betting you wished you'd never asked now...

...but while we are on the subject, could you include an option for something like this for parades...just to add a bit of colour and sparkle, particularly if the weather is not so good.

Rodney2q

A (semi) serious response...

I know of quite a few instances where MBSG have been fired by accident. The US system incorporates an arming switch on the firing control. A simple toggle switch that you flick to arm prior to pressing the firing button.

M243_M257_M259.png

Our system just has the twin buttons which arent that well protected against accidental use.

They are usually fired inadvertantly by bored soldiers messing about in the turret while on stag, maybe non turret crewed soldiers who arent used to their surroundings, they're tired, it's dark and wet... 'What's this button for?'

Although it can get quite exciting when the young lad on stag fires a full pot of four white phos directly over the BFI that his Troop are guarding, oh how we laughed... while running in the opposite direction. :neutral:

The Brazilians are working on one. Indoor tests went well a few weeks ago.

no arming switch? i would have thought that could be a winner of an idea.
what about an optional, simple aiming option as well? an airburst towards your enemy could be useful, say 4 settings "N, S, E, W" then a main default setting being general airburst if you dont know where they are!
I see what you did there, maybe add Link 16 and some GPS guidance units? You make it sound so simple and such a good idea.

Take something that is cheap, simple, and useful, replacing it with some thing that is expensive, complicated, and as good as useless? You work for BAe, don't you?

I see what you did there, maybe add Link 16 and some GPS guidance units? You make it sound so simple and such a good idea.

Take something that is cheap, simple, and useful, replacing it with some thing that is expensive, complicated, and as good as useless? You work for BAe, don't you?
no i meant some **** off solid buttons which click when you press then, not beep like R2D2. Buttons made of hard cheap plastic or steel with a tiny bit of fag ash in the mix from the morose yet proud and competent factory worker who made them. Buttons which simply fire a charge in a certain direction, loosely based on the way the turret is facing perhaps by simply reading/geared off the turret turning mechanism, but not using GPS or other trickery likely to fail. then a larger main button just to fire the lot which would be the main option. chosing the separate directions if required only.
i dont work for BAE but i'm obviously on another planet if i think someone could build a simple unit like that without a commons committee and someone leaving laptop on the paddington train with the home addresses of the BAE executives and MPs relating to the project.

no arming switch? i would have thought that could be a winner of an idea.
what about an optional, simple aiming option as well? an airburst towards your enemy could be useful, say 4 settings "N, S, E, W" then a main default setting being general airburst if you dont know where they are!
The Hermans had a system like that on the early Tiger 1. Four "pots" in each corner of the hull to chuck out an air bursty or shotgunny round at Ivan. It was discontinued because they were vulnerable to small arms fire and shrapnel. They exploded when hit basically.

Later, they employed a "close in defence weapon" on the turret tops of tanks and tank destroyers which was a simple bomb thrower in a 360 degree mount.

Nothing new here.

Chieftain was on permanent "Make smoke"