Smoke and mirrors with regards to mobilisation

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by Cavalier, Jan 19, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have done a search but the results seem a little out of date so:

Has anyone had any (recent) experience with mobilisation?

Specifically letting employers know that you were off somewhere hot and sandy? More specifically, that you were off somewhere hot and sandy BUT had volunteered?

Two completely hypothetical situations:

1) If I were to ‘request’ to do my part; is there a way to get around the employee safeguarding currently in place? My job will be safe should I be ‘called up’ under compulsory mobilisation but I don’t know where things lie with sticking my name down willingly. And I don’t want to start digging around the corporate policy garden as I’m more likely to strike sh!t than oil!!

2) If my Regiment were told that they were being mobilised and that they had to find the main effort of 200 or so troops, what then? I know this applied to the Really Large Corps last year when they were called up for Afghan.

Basically, in a totally hypothetical situation, I want to do my bit but I want it to look like I’m being ‘asked in a rather persuasive manner’ to go, so I get to keep my job when I return.

Anyone got any bright (but sensible) ideas on where to purchase said smoke and mirrors?
  2. You 'volunteer' for compulsory mobilisation. Your boss gets a letter saying words to the effect of, 'He has been called up under the compulsory mobilisation act, blah, blah ,blah'. He is not told that you 'volunteered' for compulsory mobilisation.

That's my read on it. Others may be able to give you the ins and out's word for word.
  3. msr

msr LE

It all boils down to your employer.

If they find out that you put your name in the hat, you may find your loyalty to the company in question. And given the current economic climate, I would not like to find my name at the top of the list for redundancy.

4. yep, it says you are being called up compulsoraly (spelling?), no where does it mention that you volunteered.

5. Don't do it. When your boss googles around a bit, gets to the SABRE website and reads the bit about current mobilisations being voluntary he (or she) will realise you're lying. And that may well be all the excuse they need to sack you.

And don't expect the Army to help, there's no way at all they will try and defend you lying to your employer. Frankly they should be looking to chuck you out for lack of integrity.

The harsh reality is that if your employer won't support you you can either jack the job in, join the regulars or don't go.
  6. It's not that bad, I was made redundant in 2005, decided to go back to being self employed, having left ta in 2005 with no support from my previous employer i'm looking forward to rejoining,

this time being self employed may just make it that bit easier! :wink:
  7. Oh dear Cav, you getting jealous of the sprogs putting in for there tours?
  8. The advice on hear makes it look like you can only (really) deploy if you are unemployed or willing to loose your job....

You can volunteer and your unit will serve you with "Compulsory call out" papers. However, your employer can contact Sabre and find out that in fact you asked to go, thus potentially loosing your job.

That can't be right.

T C
  9. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

You are correct - it is not right. You can deploy if you are unemployed, willing to lose your job OR, and this is the clever bit....

You negotiate with, and obtain the support of, your employer for you being intelligently mobilised as thousands have done to date.

Try not to always believe the doom-mongers on Arrse. It is not always perfects, but it is also not as bad as they would have you believe.
  10. Fair point there mate. I meant it more that there would be something I was missing other than it being wrong.

Might have to go in to see my boss with a packet of hob-nobs!

T C
  11. Duke...

Role dependant..... :(
  12. The best tack is to try the old "If I volunteer now they aren't likely to spam me later" giving your employer the option of managing WHEN you go. Also there is usually more lead-in time for voluntary than compulsory mob.
  13. This is not being posted as advice or a recommended way of going about things but thought I would give you the benefit of some of my experiences and associated pitfalls.

I has the opportunity to deploy with The London Regt. in 2007. I duly spoke to my employer who said that now wasn't a good time etc. I went back to my unit and said I couldn't go and was told not to worry about it.

Following on from this I began to realise that my employer would probably give this response at any time in the future so when a job came up towards the end of last year I asked to be mobilised without speaking to my Company. Wihin a week the paperwork landed on my boss's desk and very shortly thereafter I had several conversations which led me to believe my job was being made redundant.

At first, I was not overly concerned as I thought my position was protected by RFA96 and the Safeguard of Employment Act 1985. However, having read SoE 85 realised I was only protected if employed for the 4 weeks immediately prior to mobilisation, (this was December for a Feb 09 callout giving them time to go through a consultation and finish me before the 4 weeks and therefore not having to safeguard my job).

In the end I have been very fortunate. My boss admitted their intentions and said that it was a mistake. The threat of redundancy has been removed and have been promised my job when I return in 2010.

At the end of the day, only you know how your employer might react therefore it is difficult to advise anybody on the best course to take. Although I started by saying that I was not offering advice, I would however recommend doing the following:

Read all of the legislation in detail before you decide and seek clarification if there is anything you do not understand, (it doesn't offer any where near the protection I thought).

If you think your employer may react badly but still want to go, then speak to your unit and see if they can make sure your call-out is posted during that critical 4 week period preceding your mobilisation date.

14. If I worked in HR and read this thread I may very well conclude that the TA has a culture of deceiving employers. Being in the TA is challenging enough for your career without that sort of attitude. And it is hardly an advert for the integrity we insist sets us apart from civilians.

Listen to The_Duke. Get your boss on side. And if you can't, then either accept it or find a new TA friendly boss.
  15. I agree. If you want the most gung-ho, green-loving employer, you'll find him down at the Regular Army recruiting office.

Otherwise, maintain your integrity and try and broker a mutually acceptable solution with your current employer. It's what you'd want them to do if they were likely to breach their contract with you.