SMLEs dad

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by pull_through, Dec 13, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Armed with the knowledge that SMLE stands for short magazine Lee Enfield, I can't help but wonder if there was a predecessor / alternative which was the long or standard magazine LE?

Could anyone shed light on that?
  2. The appellation 'short' refers not to the magazine, but to the rifle, as (believe it or not) the predecessor was a good deal longer. Your nomenclature is difficient a comma, and you're not quite as well-armed as you thought you were.
  3. the short does not refer to the magazine length, it refers to the overall length and the predecessor was the lee enfield
  4. The Long Magazine Lee Enfield was adopted in 1895 but was only called the long magazine when the short magazine version appeared in 1902, it had a new design of rifleing to accomadate the new smokeless cartridge
  5. That makes a lot of sense, thanks T66.

I had the good fortune to be able to fire a SMLE as a cadet donkeys ago. Awesome weapon.
  6. Back in tha 80s I had a BSA MKIII SMLE but those nasty policemen made me get rid of it
  7. Do you mind me asking why? These rifles are still very popular and are used by many shooters in the UK and abroad.
  8. there are meny of them that where made into 4/10s,, they still have them for sale here,, the gunsmith tells me there very good to shoot but not as fast as a double barrel job..
  9. After the 1988 firearms act the South Wales Police had a bit of a clamp down on the amount of weapons I had on my FAC and the refused to alow me to keep the 15 rifles and pistols I had this was cut down to 5 so a number of much loved toys had to go, this was when they banned semi auto rifles( in my case a Mini 14) and Pump action shotguns( Mossburg 500) little did we then know that a few years latter they would ban just about everything as now I only have one FAC rifle ( Parker Hale 1200) and 2 shotguns, how I miss the old days when you could pop down the range and have a blast with a 357. Back then civvis could even hire G range on SENTA on the weekend
  10. Ah okay, so it was just your local plod making up the rules as they went along then? That seems to be quite a common problem.
  11. One day they had a nice old lady running the FAC office, a Mrs Rogers if my memory serves me right, and the next there was a nazi sturmbahnfurher
  12. The nickname is all down to military stores terminology:

The "rifle, magazine, Lee Metford, Mk1" was so termed to distinguish it from the non-Magazine single shot Martini-Henry service rifle that existed in service alongside it.

When cordite was developed, the rifling was changed to a deeper Enfield designed pattern, and the rifle became "rifle, magazine, Lee Enfield".

Around 1900, the Army decided to do away with the old system of having long rifles for infantry and carbines for artillery/cavalry, and so began development of a universal issue "short" rifle.

This was termed "rifle, short, magazine, Lee Enfield" in order to distinguish it from the longer rifles - which were still on issue and remained in front line service right through WW1. Hence the "short" refers to the rifle, and not the magazine.

The "short, magazine, Lee Enfield" bit was blurred into "SMLE" and the old soldiers' slang of "smellie".