SMLE zeroing table with and without bayonet

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by ugly, Nov 18, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

For those amongst us fortunate enough to be shooting gods own battle rifle I thought I would share this with you. I was digging it out for another arsser, I though it was worth sharing in light of the recent threads on the Lee Enfield and also whilst I am on if any arrser wants a No4 or a No1 I have a couple for sale, discount for arrsers;

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  2. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

I'm assuming, ignoramus that I am, that these wouldn't work for an Ishapore in 7.62? Although secretly I'm hoping you'll say yes.

3. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I would assume being an ignoramous myself that you would test this to find out? The issue Indian Bayonet is shorter so it may be different!

4. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

I have enough trouble as it is without adding the complication of adjusting for a bayonet as well. In any case I have a 1907 as it's quite difficult to get an Indian Army one.

• Like Like x 1
  5. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I am sure there will be a measurable difference between the 7.62 and .303 regards POI and this may be enough to show a massive difference in the poi when bayonet is fitted but then again maybe it wont!

6. Thanks Ugly, I need to check Zero my No4 and SMLE,

I'd do it at work but the Landmark range wardens are jobsworths....

7. This might be a bone question, but why would the bayonet affect the trajectory of the bullet?

8. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Think of a barrel as a tuning fork, when it fires it vibrates, hanging steel of the end of it either directly or through a spring dampened muzzle cap still will affect the frequency at which it vibrates though not the speed of the bullet so the bullet may exit the muzzle at the low point of a wave rather than at the high or centre point.
    Does that help?

9. Ok, that makes sense. Every day's a schoolday.

10. ^ is why sniper rifles such as the L96 actually have barrels that consist of two sleeves, one inside the other.

Reduces resonance, a technique used by Linn on the mighty LP12 turntable platter - a simple steel disc will ring when flicked; having two concentric disks pretty much removes the resonances.

11. I didn't think the nylon composite wrap did anything other than make the barrel a nice green colour while protecting it from the elemenents.

Sleeving metal over metal on a barrel is a bad idea, they always rust internaly.

12. You have to experiment with each combination of rifle and bayonet. Broadly speaking, No1s shoot about a foot high @ 100yds, No4s shoot about 6" low @ 100yds. However, enfields being enfields, each rifle and bayonet combination does its own thing....

• Like Like x 2
  13. Do you know where I can get an L42A1 minus scope?

14. Bear in mind that a No4 does not have a free-floating barrel. As originally constructed and zeroed the barrel should bear up on the top of the fore-end with 1lbf. Presumably attaching the bayonet leads to some degree of barrel whip which changes range versus sight elevation.

As the NATO 7.62mm round has a rather higher muzzle velocity (by about 400fps for factory loads) you should expect a considerable variation in range versus sight elevation, especially if your No4 sights have not been recalibrated to L8 standard.

Have fun.....

15. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Oddly enough fitting the no 32 scope to a 7.62 is fine back to 300 metres with original drums