SMLE Oversize/Long Bolted head wanted .

What does the throat look like? If it looks like a clown's pocket there's your answer.

In any case I bet the rifle will shoot S&B OK, or at least straight :)
Not sure who`s bringing in S&B at the moment? , I had some last year off a small time distributor now he`s gone quite.

ugly

LE
If we use an oversize bolt head and machine it down and heat treat it it should go to proof.
I hadn’t thought you were going to do anything to the new head

ugly

LE
I've only seen bullet tumbling in Long Lees that are worn almost to smoothbore. A No1 would have to have serious bore wear to do that. What ammo was he using?

Try a few different bolt bodies. I reckon that sometimes its wear on the threads and front of the bolt body (the mating surface with the bolt head) that actually increases headspace, rather than the mythical "action stretching".
I’ve seen tumbling in a swede cav carbine that was a sewer pipe and the dealer claimed it only needed a few rounds through it to clean it!
It wouldn’t pattern a four foot card at 25m

ugly

LE
Technically you are changing one of the pressure-bearing parts, and so it has to be retested.

I wouldn't consider it (legally) safe to sell a rifle where the proof marks don't match - i.e. where someone has swapped around proofed components from different rifles. E.g London proof on a bolt body and Birmingham, proof on a bolt head means the rifle hasn't been tested as a complete system.

I'm personally quite happy that any Enfield is perfectly safe, even if a bitsa of unproofed parts with excess headpsace. However, proof discrepancies are often enough to shut down an RFD these days.
Armourers with that job wouldn’t attempt to reproof that rifle though would they?
It’s not that different to changing a bolt mech on an slr should the original be broken surely!

Armourers with that job wouldn’t attempt to reproof that rifle though would they?
It’s not that different to changing a bolt mech on an slr should the original be broken surely!
We're talking the requirements of civilian proof law here. Military was and is exempt.

Acknowledged but it’s surely no less safe!
Civilian proofing stopped being linked to safety a long time ago...

Mick9abf

War Hero
He`s been using PPU , that high quality Croatian........... shite.
I’ve had issues with PPU in the past, quite frankly it’s a waste of money. I’ve heard all the “it groups well in my rifle” pish but I’m yet to see it myself.

Mufulira

Old-Salt
IIRC Changing bolt heads shouldn't cause keyholing -- poor bore, muzzle wear and off-spec crown will take care of desired accuracy.
HXP Greek surplus ammo when available, gives excellent results, far beyond my expectations. S & B OK also. Some old Iraqui ammo with 3 point stab closure gave spectacular hang-fires 2-4 secs which gave shooter in law the pronounced flinch he shows today.

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
No, we certainly would not.

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
Civilian RFD`s are bound by a completely different set of laws and rules.
I understand that, just agreeing with Ugly. The civvy rules are batshit crazy as far as I can see.

I understand that, just agreeing with Ugly. The civvy rules are batshit crazy as far as I can see.
I agree, in the land where you can be sued for selling hot coffee too hot (the US) they don't have proofing.

RE PPU, That translates to " I`m too tight to buy decent ammo and too stupid to reload"
I have found it to be ok out to 200 yards in my No4. Beyond that SMK loaded into PPU or HXP cases do the trick, while the best has been original HXP, even 30+ year old stuff, and HPS target ammo.

Latest Threads