Smells that trigger instant recall.

I was 14. What did I do to deserve the cane ?
Woke up with a morning glory and it would not go down as I took my PJs off to get dressed. She worked in. It went down then I can tell you.
Aye it was a hard life ;)

The smell of malteesers is my abiding memory of Slough when the wind was in the east. ( and coffee from Nestles in Hayes on a hot summer evening when it was calm.!).
Ah my teenage years .

The Mars factory is on the Slough Trading Estate, although I wonder if what you actually thought was Maltesers was the malty smell coming from the Horlicks factory nearby.

There was also once a Quaker Oats factory at Southall. It's signature pong was Sugar Puffs.

There used to be a sewage farm at Perry Oaks, which is right where Terminal 5 is now. Boy, that could could throw out a fearsome hoy sometimes.

Walking around the accomodation blocks OF SEME Savanah Barracks flogging newspapers and various magazines when I was a kid. The smell was fecking atrocious, stale sweat, feet, **** socks, farts it was fecking horrendous and I've never smelt anything like it since. It was that bad it could have been weaponised and dropped on our enemies.
We was posh at Cambrai barracks, the papers and educational magazines were spread out* in the cookhouse on a Sunday morning.

*I know, I know...

TamH70

MIA
Vinegar. Reminds me of sitting in the corridor of my Troop lines in Helles Barracks with my mates, cleaning rifles after a range day, using tubs of malt vinegar to dunk the gas parts in order to be able to clean all the carbon and other associated gunk off of them much more easily.

Vinegar. Reminds me of sitting in the corridor of my Troop lines in Helles Barracks with my mates, cleaning rifles after a range day, using tubs of malt vinegar to dunk the gas parts in order to be able to clean all the carbon and other associated gunk off of them much more easily.
Gas rod was so dirty we used brillopads in TA . :D

Gas rod was so dirty we used brillopads in TA . :D
How many Brillopads do you need to make up a gas rod?

And aren't they a bit too squidgy to do the job?

Only had one. I only ever did it once maybe twice. It's been a long time

Talking of which, someone mentioned wet webbing. Blanco and holding your kit like something fragile ready for kit inspection. Brasso, cardboard and bloody button sticks.

One of our mates told us to go up to his house as his mother had a new washing machine we put our webbing in to wash it. To redo it for the next week. The mother was not pleased when the following day her machine would not empty

The Mars factory is on the Slough Trading Estate, although I wonder if what you actually thought was Maltesers was the malty smell coming from the Horlicks factory nearby.

There was also once a Quaker Oats factory at Southall. It's signature pong was Sugar Puffs.

There used to be a sewage farm at Perry Oaks, which is right where Terminal 5 is now. Boy, that could could throw out a fearsome hoy sometimes.
A yes Perry oaks in the summer of 76 …….!!
Do you remember the black and white quartered V2 ( owned by a film company I believe) that was parked on its transporter trailer next to Perry oaks in the 70’s.?

A yes Perry oaks in the summer of 76 …….!!
Do you remember the black and white quartered V2 ( owned by a film company I believe) that was parked on its transporter trailer next to Perry oaks in the 70’s.?
I don't remember that, but I do remember there was a strange little loop road in Perry Oaks lined with bungalows. I think that it was some kind of community for disabled kids or something. It was in the middle of the airport. Maybe they were deaf kids. They'd need to be.

I think it must have been a vestige of one of the hamlets that existed before the airport was built. All underneath T5 now.

calamine lotion
I'd forgotten about that, it reminds me of when I was in the London hospital for 8 weeks, there was a coloured guy ( am I allowed to use that expression now) on the same ward, he used to wander about all over the place and usually talking gibberish but completely harmless.

Anyhoo, this particular day he picked up someone's bottle of Calamine Lotion and decided to give his face a liberal wash with it, he carried on wandering around and the lotion was slowly drying, within 15 minutes the poor sod looked like a negative of a photo from the black and white minstrel show, he stopped by the nurses station and there was a small mirror on the desk, he picked it up to look at his face because I'm guessing the lotion was causing a strange sensation being as there was so much on his face, he took one look at his reflection and shouted "Oh fuking hell" he must have thought that he was cursed, not only was he ill but he'd now turned into a white man

FrosteeMARIA

LE
Gallery Guru
Robinsons Orange and Pineapple squash, reminds me of my Grandma and Grandads house when I was a nipper
I get that with Dandelion and Burdock, or Cream Soda (Friday night Corona pop man visitng Nanna's with his flatbed truck full of the stuff!)

FrosteeMARIA

LE
Gallery Guru
My mum used to get that for us, preaching on about it being good for your hair and scalp while smelling like pikeys had just been round and tarmacked our heads. Rinsing it off with one of those shower heads that you had to attach to the bath taps as well.
Those feckin things....cold always shot off leaving you with scalding burns on the head. I'm thinking that's probably what cleaned your hair better than the shampoo....

FrosteeMARIA

LE
Gallery Guru
Smells I don't think I'll ever forget - the first being a combination of the burning sickly sweet sugar burning smell from the Nabisco Factory, coupled with the burning meat and onions smell from the next door Fleur-de-Lys pie factory. Passed by both on the school bus every morning. Was always a bit of fun pranking the new first years into sticking their heads out the window and taking a deep breath in :)
Second was the glue factory - the name escapes me - on the way to Market Harborough before the A6 bypass was built. Didn't pay heed to the warning from my friend to roll the windows up QUICK. Cannot even begin to describe what that smelled like!!!

Smells I don't think I'll ever forget - the first being a combination of the burning sickly sweet sugar burning smell from the Nabisco Factory, coupled with the burning meat and onions smell from the next door Fleur-de-Lys pie factory. Passed by both on the school bus every morning. Was always a bit of fun pranking the new first years into sticking their heads out the window and taking a deep breath in :)
Second was the glue factory - the name escapes me - on the way to Market Harborough before the A6 bypass was built. Didn't pay heed to the warning from my friend to roll the windows up QUICK. Cannot even begin to describe what that smelled like!!!
Ah… the glue factory up the road from LongKesh… delightful when you’re riding in the hatch of a makrolon rover.
The smell of melted chocolate always takes me back to the Macintoshes’ factory where my grandmother worked, and her coming home with a bag of misshaped Toffee Crisps when we went to stay.

FrosteeMARIA

LE
Gallery Guru
Ah… the glue factory up the road from LongKesh… delightful when you’re riding in the hatch of a makrolon rover.
What was the name of it? Was it Croda?

edit - just looked it up - it's still there, but now called "The Bone Works, JG Pears".
Yuk.