Smells that trigger instant recall.

They say that the sense of smell is capable of triggering memories even in the profoundly demented.( ok here then!).
They certainly seem to be able to instantly transport me back decades.
Three instances, stood by a hot BSA rocket outside Pooley Bridge shop in hot weather, the s,mell of hot aluminium, oil and carburettors venting petrol fumes. I was instantly five again in 1966 outside my parents pub admiring the bikes parked up.
secondly this afternoon, tooling up the A1 with the windows down, got overtaken by a C reg Ford Capri 2.8 injection.
for about a minute I was in the early 80’s again. Nothing smells like that now, ( must be incomplete burned hydrocarbons and hot oil but in a way only fords smelt)
unforgettable
lastly a really bad RTA, I cannot empty a septic tank now without remembering a hot afternoon at Hartsop Rd end Patterdale .

Whats the smells that years later transport you instantly to a place and time.?

820FBDB6-76ED-47A9-BBD6-3DCEC50AE442.jpeg

The smell of this stuff in an engine takes me back instantly to the 1971 North West 200.

They say that the sense of smell is capable of triggering memories even in the profoundly demented.( ok here then!).
They certainly seem to be able to instantly transport me back decades.
Three instances, stood by a hot BSA rocket outside Pooley Bridge shop in hot weather, the s,mell of hot aluminium, oil and carburettors venting petrol fumes. I was instantly five again in 1966 outside my parents pub admiring the bikes parked up.
secondly this afternoon, tooling up the A1 with the windows down, got overtaken by a C reg Ford Capri 2.8 injection.
for about a minute I was in the early 80’s again. Nothing smells like that now, ( must be incomplete burned hydrocarbons and hot oil but in a way only fords smelt)
unforgettable
lastly a really bad RTA, I cannot empty a septic tank now without remembering a hot afternoon at Hartsop Rd end Patterdale .

Whats the smells that years later transport you instantly to a place and time.?
1626020325918.png

Cough...

That smell of just showered and shaved, followed by filling up vehicles and jerricans, cleaning rifles, hoiking manky, damp cam nets onto wagons, add in manky, damp hessian, engine and hydrauluc oil, some perspiration, a couple of weeks' use of foot and body powder to wind down the hint of kipping in barns, woodblocks or snow, mixed with compo filled long drop latrines, some beer, cabbages, and gunsmoke.
That one, that takes 3 baths to dissipate.

South African prisons.
A mixture of unwashed bodies, laundry soap and rough tobacco.
Distinctive. In fact, you can walk into a pub and know a 'just released' bloke is in, because you can smell the smell.
Likewise Lagos. A blend of derv, rotting mangrove and ...
Pass a bloke in the street fresh off a Lagos plane, and you'll know it.
Absolute unique

RBMK

LE
Book Reviewer
We took the hound for a run out on the beach at New Brighton.

On the way back to the car I got the smell of candyfloss from a stall and was immediately transported back to about 1968.

The other one that always gets me is the smell of an old truck workshop with that smell of old engine oil, axle grease, hot engines with a whiff of old diesel exhaust. Takes me back to working with my old man in his garage in my school holidays.

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
JET-A1 exhaust fumes when you step off the ramp into the night

Everything and everyone smelling of years-worth of woodsmoke

As already mentioned - Lagos, although most of black Africa is just a variation on that 'aroma'

Oh, Marlboro Red, I do miss Marlboro Red....

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
Zyklon b

Bacon Grill. Always takes me back to my first airshow crash.

Latest Threads