Smelling like a litter box

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Stanley1975, Aug 27, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. A couple of months ago I started eminating an ammonia smell after working out or playing a simple game of hockey. I've had it before but always thought it was part of sweating in general. However the stank became that bad I could empty the clubhouse of all people, simply by entering.

I went to see my doctor about it, but he concluded there was nothing wrong with me though it may had something to do with my diet. He suggested eating more high carb food. I've increased my daily intake of pasta and spuds. It seemed to work for a while, but last night I was in the middle of an aerobic class when that smell returned. It was so foul I nearly passed out. The dietician at the club suggested I should eat more food high in protein.

Though I'm more inclined to follow what my doctor suggested I did do a google search and found these two suggestions. Either increase carbs or protein intake (or may be both?). I drink about a 3/4 liter of water in a 1 hour excercise and about 3 liters of water + tea a day regardless.

Someone else had this issue and more importantly how did you manage to get rid of it? It has cost me several shirts because I couldn't get the smell out. I have a tournament this afternoon and am already worried about the BBQ tonight. I'm either keeping my shirt on or sneaking into the shower for a quick wash. The first option will cause the flies to fall dead from the skies, the second one will seduce my teammates into calling me a closeted footballer for taking a shower after a game and taunt me the rest of the season.

Increase carbs or proteins, both? Or did something else do the trick?
  2. A good anti/bacterial soap or bleach if that fails.
  3. But do I drink it before or after working out?
  4. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

Ever had an Ulcer? Go ask your Doc to take a blood ample and get it tested for Helicobacter. If positive you'll get antibiotics. If negative eat lesss fish,red meat, chicken and dairy.
  5. rub yourself in fish...or if there are no fish about, try fish oil. That should solve the litter box stench issue.
  6. Never had an ulcer thank God and didn't know it could be related to this. But if that's a possibility I'll ring my doctor on Monday and ask for a proper check. Thanks.
  7. Rub yourself in your own shit and say you're doing a Bobby Sands tribute
  8. You are turning into Stilton. Cover yourself in quince jam and stick digestives on.
  9. You are what you eat and drink. Have a good look at your diet. More carbs / more protein is broad-brush simplistic advice, but you need to look for a cause.

To give you an example, some years ago (yep this is eodmatt writing so for those of you who are looking for a bit of salaciousness, here it comes): I tried an experiment with a young lady of my (then) acquaintance. We ate nothing but fruit for four days - nothing at all but fruit. She reported that my semen tasted somehow "sweeter" and I recorded the fact that she had, well not exactly a flavour, but more a hint of strawberry / melon about her. So what you eat and drink definitely affects your presence.

Another experiment I tried some years ago was to have the soles of my feet rubbed with raw garlic as part of a strange Obeah ritual in Central America. It wasn't long before I had garlic breath.

It may be that you are exercising a little too hard and your body is excreting ammonia as a by-product of processing protein, so take a look at your intake balance of protein / carbs. If you are thin, you may be burning off muscle protein rather that dietary protein.

Another question to ask yourself is - are you the only one who can smell it? There are occasions when the olfactory sense can amplify a particular smell which is not obvious to others.

No doubt there will be PTI's and body builders on here who can offer more focused advice.
  10. Oh and drink more plain water. This should encourage more peeing which is better for ridding the system of exercise by-products, otherwise the body has no option but to load your sweat with it.
  11. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

Helicobacter is a legitimate cause of skin infection and does secrete ammonia. No duff.
  12. Funnily enough this subject came up at my gym a few months ago, someone there was courting advice as they believed they had this problem (although I can't say I'd ever noticed it, and being something of a horsey bird I'm quite attuned to the scent of ammonia) but anyway, as curious as ever and always one to try and help I found this article which I thought explained the (possible) reason pretty well and offered sensible advice. Worth a punt.

Q+A: Why this strong smell of ammonia? - General - Runner's World

Either that or try neutralising it by dabbing on eau de sarsons.
  13. Thanks for the replies and suggestions.

Haha, class. I'm not going to replicate this experiment if you don't mind, I'll take your word for it. :biggrin:

I'm usually the only one who smells it though I think it's so strong the whole room must be affected. Apart from a few occassions when I asked a teammate to sniff my armpits.... Then they can smell it too. May be a bit too much information.

It doesn't seem to affect me too much physically, it's just very annoying.

I wasn't disagreeing with you Biscuits. In fact I'll probably see my doctor anyway to rule out any underlying physical cause such as the one you mention.

Thanks for the article Dolly. I'll keep track of what I'm eating to find out if there's a pattern.