Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Builds Smegger's VE Day build (Morris Commercial C4 Mk II, Bedford QLR and other bits)

Smeggers

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Been a while since my last contribution, but the build has stalled due to inclement weather. This is because the leader ot the opposition (aka Mrs Smeggers) insists that all diorama are built in the garden. This is due to a problem with some overlay which re-coloured the lounge rug! I have been collecting a few taught bits for trees and will be commencing the next part asap.
I've also had a re-think on the canvas awnings and have come up with a different design which works well and looks less "parade ground". One of the hardest things to find is British soldiers sitting down. When you consider most squaddies spent a good portion of their service dans le derriere, there are very few models of them doing so. Still, improvise, adapt and achieve!
Just to add some interest, I found this shot of a Leyland Retriever complete with caunter camouflage, somewhere in the desert. Atrocious admin around the truck, the Badge would be screaming blue murder at that shower of disorderly shite! I accept there was a war on but come on! Anyway, the picture....
106013856_3014999691914861_7547155152265032819_o.jpg

Smeggers out.

Smeggers

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
@Smeggers, I know this is pre war, but I thought it might interest you.View attachment 486249
Wahey! An AEC FWD 860 towing a sick Vickers.
Military 6x6 tractor with origins in the three-way relationship forged in late 1929 between AEC, the Four Wheel Drive Lorry Co Ltd and Hardy Rail Motors Ltd. The original R6T was built at the FWD factory in Slough, and had a Dorman 6-cylinder engine. The Duxford exhibit, which has Middlesex registration AMP80, is one of 33 AEC Type 850s with AEC A136 engines that were built at Southall between 1932 and 1936.

AEC Model 850 (R6T) (1939 - Western France)
large_000000.jpg

1935 AEC Model 850 AMP80 at Duxford

84-uk01-AEC M850-duxford.jpg

Wahey! An AEC FWD 860 towing a sick Vickers.
Military 6x6 tractor with origins in the three-way relationship forged in late 1929 between AEC, the Four Wheel Drive Lorry Co Ltd and Hardy Rail Motors Ltd. The original R6T was built at the FWD factory in Slough, and had a Dorman 6-cylinder engine. The Duxford exhibit, which has Middlesex registration AMP80, is one of 33 AEC Type 850s with AEC A136 engines that were built at Southall between 1932 and 1936.

AEC Model 850 (R6T) (1939 - Western France)
View attachment 486371

1935 AEC Model 850 AMP80 at Duxford

View attachment 486373
That B/W photo, Vickers mkVl on trailer with a Universal Carrier being towed behind, almost certainly using an A frame.