Smashing the stigma of PTSD .... U.S style.

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by AIR FILTER, Nov 7, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. But will they have to admit that they spent time in pokey because they commited an act of violence and did time because of their PTSD?

I regularly see newspaper reports about returned soldiers suffering from PTSD who have taken it out on either friends, neighbours, wives or strangers. There are three levels of jail here: County Sheriffs jail; State jail/Correctional Institution; Federal Penitentiary. Which one you go to depends on the type of crime you commit. Most PTSD'ers seem to end up in the Sheriffs pokey.

There was a prog on the box a couple of weeks ago highlighting the problem , they spoke to victims, perpetrators and law enforcers. In the main the guys in pokey that they spoke to were reasonably nice avergae guys who had simply lost it for a moment due to the effects of stress. There are support groups springing up to help former soldiers who are now doing porridge, but in the main these are self started groups with no type of funding or official assistance.
  2. There's very little stigma surrounding PTSD. You only have to listen to 'sufferers' banging on about their condition in this forum to see that.

Seems to me that there are more PTSD walts than there are genuine sufferers with worries about their image.

It's a bit like when I was at primary school and pretended to have athletes foot to impress the girls.
  3. Why would that impress anyone ?
  4. Maybe they thought it meant he was a faster runner. But only in circles.
  5. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

I attended a presentation by a military shrink recently which dealt with mental health problems. IIRC it was called 'the unhappy soldier'.

He mentioned that there is now little stigma attached to PTSD as it is seen as a legitimate war wound. Indeed many people are quite keen to label themselves as suffering from PTSD and their Doctors are often happy to go along with this.

The problem is with the other mental health issues which if not dealt with can become serious problems. Some of them are operationally related but many of them may have occurred anyway but may be exacerbated by the stress of operations. It's this 'unhappiness' that has the stigma.

Another problem is that often soldiers think the army is the problem and if they can just get out everything will be fine. Sometimes that works but in other cases they just become unhappy civilians without a job or welfare network.