smashing pianos in Northern ireland 1970

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by photography, Nov 8, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Loking at photographs in the Imperial War museum archive of Northern ireland in 1970 and find a sequence of blokes smashing pianos. Apparently some kind of competition with different teams trying to smash upright pianos fastest. Anyone got any idea what's going on?

Attached Files:

2. Now thats My Type Of Piano Man.

3. Orange and green pianos?

Mind you when I ever hear someone start playin"Danny Boy" I feel like smashing a piano.

4. I vaguely recall the 'incident.' It was indeed a competition to see which team could smash a piano the fastest.
    It was televised. Ulster in the early 1970s was a pretty grim place, the piano smashing fest was regarded as light relief!

5. Yep two teams normally had a race about smashing the uprights.

Then then had to pass the smashed bits through a hole, so only a certain size of debris could be passed.

The quickest team to do this won.

This was also popular the 80's i believe on the mainland, but you dont never hear of it now days

6. Sabres right was a competition - quite popular at pubs and fetes etc for a bit of light relief - idea was indeed to pass thru a small hoop (no - not that small hoop before the thread goes down hill) - although why, in ireland, they gave them sledge hammers when there was a ready supply of semtex which had to be more effective remains a mystery.

7. Was it a naval thing originally? It was still quite popular among the dark blue gang at Lossiemouth in the mid '70s

8. vasco - yes - but that was normally thru drink and a crpa piano player