Smartphone Virgin

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones' started by Border_Reiver, Jan 7, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Well last week even though I am quite long in the tooth I moved into the 21[SUP]st[/SUP] Century and bought a Smartphone . I am quite chuffed with my progress so far and can sync with Microsoft Outlook , have moved files across to the sdcard , setup and able to receive E mails from more than one source , set up some favourite websites including ARRSE .
    I have downloaded some info on reducing battery demand and came across this free package … Juice Defender . However this raises two questions … any ARRSE'rs used this package and is it any good and second what about virus protection when downloading this or other software ?

2. Samsung Galaxy .

3. Thanks for that ... I run AVG on my Laptop .

4. Thanks for the info so far chaps ... obviously I log onto the appropriate website from my Smartphone but when I download software onto my Laptop I check carefully to ensure I am not downloading additional toolbars or making the source site my home log on site .... should I be concerned about such or similar problems when downloading to my Smartphone.

Edited to add

Battery management and AVG now downloaded and running .

5. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

get Avast for android. that will take care of the av side of things.

6. I use Lookout for security and antivirus, on the advice of my uber-geek missus.

7. A lot of the battery savers are a bit gimmicky/ineffective/downright dangerous. Ways to save battery manually:

1) Turn onto low brightness if you can handle it
    2) Turn off 3G/WiFi/GPS if you don't need it - I do that if I want it to last for a weekend exercise
    3) Remove random widgets/moving backgrounds.

Generally, that'll push it to over 48 hours comfortably. You'll get used to the shorter charge intervals, promise!

And Antivirus, never needed it yet. Not to say that I'm right though...

8. Answered my own earlier question to an extenet and downloaded " Easy Battery Saver " ... and set up to run " Intellegent " mode... is that sensible Tango Lima ... now to look at AVG antivirus ... yes I realise I have done it ARRSE about face ... to be honest I had never really thought of Antivirus for a Mobi; Tel but with accessing the interweb it must be necessary .

9. Thanks for the post ... had done most of that ... I was looking for some software supplement those actions .