Smarties medals

Sold mine when I was on the bones of my arse when I left. Fed me the mrs and the kid for a month. If ever I want some again I will just order some replacements of the interweb
You did the right thing to support your family, but a truly sad tale nonetheless. Hopefully, things are better for you now?

cymraeg

War Hero
You did the right thing to support your family, but a truly sad tale nonetheless. Hopefully, things are better for you now?
Yea mukka. Served a purpose. First 12 months were ropey but a train driver these days and it's a different world

I discovered my dad's 6 WW2 medals/stars while rooting around the attic as a teenager. They were still in the envelope they arrived in, along with separate pieces of ribbon in pristine condition and a standard printed covering note from the Minister for War or whatever.
In 1978 I was trying to think of a present for him (because I about to leave Blighty with IDF chicks in mind) and decided to get them mounted.
It gave him a nice surprise but more to the point, as he grew older and went into retirement, along with his corps tie gave him a certain sense of belonging at various official events and ceremonies of the type when medals are worn. He then, after a break of many decades, rejoined his corps association.
Shortly before his hundreth birthday he was a guest at the 65th anniversary of D-Day and with the other veterans was presented by the French with a numbered commemorative badge for vets. In the meantime a UK veterans badge had arrived and shortly afterwards, a Legion d'honneur.
He never sought status, indeed the original 6 would have probably remained where I found them in the attic, but they certainly gave him some pleasure in his old age, not to speak of pleasure it gave us, his family and friends and sometimes complete strangers, like the minicab driver of foreign extraction, that arrived to take my parents to a remembrance day service, who became beside himself with excitement at the sight of the gongs and asked to take a photograph of my dad.
It made me realise that as time goes on, particularly for younger people, veterans wearing medals from conflicts of many decades ago can become a unique living link with the past.

1567793200648.png

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Royal Air Force 18
chocolate_frog The NAAFI Bar 72
1223Taff The NAAFI Bar 17

Latest Threads