Smarties medals

I don't seek to criticize others; their views are their own and just as valid as mine. But for me, the measly two medals I have are the most valuable possession I have. They're not worth a light in terms of folding money, UNPROFOR and NATO IFOR medals are ten-a-penny. They do however represent in my own mind that I did something of value at some point in my life. That's not to say the rest of my life has been a failure, far from it, but I did what I set out to do when I attested, and those bits of metal are a reminder that I served.

If my house was burning, after family and pets, I'd be rescuing my medals before anything else. To me, they are priceless. I have worn them on just a couple of occasions since I left, these were Remembrance parades. Since emigrating, I have not been to a parade, they're a bit different over here. So I don't keep them to wear, but to me, they are irreplaceable.

Got a partial bounce breathing on the DZ after taking off like a scalded cat when I saw his reserve fired into his malfunctioned main canopy. Got to him a few seconds after impact and cleared the airway then kept him going while DZ staff called in the medevac chopper.

The fat biff medic nurse who waddled up five minutes after it happened, stood around flapping then went along for the ride in the helo got a medal for saving his hide. I got a certificate for being helpful.

Last edited:

Handlebarbleep

Old-Salt
I call bollocks. From memory (I was a very late BAOR ‘warrior’) the whole point of Active Edge was to get to predefined defensive points in a matter of hours. Quite how it was possible to assemble thousands of Gareths to cross the Channel and put themselves beyond the Regular Army FLOT as a suicide screen in that time defeats me. Fanciful stuff...
Well, when I deployed on Exercise Lionheart 84 in 1 Mercian (V) we were part of 2 Inf Div and tasked with Corps Rear Area mobile defence. We practiced siezing back KP's from Spetznaz (7 GURKHA if I recall) and being a stop force for any OMG. We were mostly heliborne, Puma and Chinook. I particularly remember a Coup de Main on a bridge (Rinteln?).

As a general observation, we tend to start European wars with a regular army fighting and winning them with a citizen one.

Last edited:
I call bollocks. From memory (I was a very late BAOR ‘warrior’) the whole point of Active Edge was to get to predefined defensive points in a matter of hours. Quite how it was possible to assemble thousands of Gareths to cross the Channel and put themselves beyond the Regular Army FLOT as a suicide screen in that time defeats me. Fanciful stuff...

That is what "Crusader 80" was all about, mind you it did take some time to fly in the TA, and our American cousins from fort Bragg,

Got a partial bounce breathing on the DZ after taking off like a scalded cat when I saw his reserve fired into his malfunctioned main canopy. Got to him a few seconds after impact and cleared the airway then kept him going while DZ staff called in the medevac chopper.

The fat biff medic nurse who waddled up five minutes after it happened and went along for the ride in the helo got a medal for saving his hide. I got a certificate for being helpful.
An old buddy of mine was in contact with a superior enemy force, when to their relief, they were supported by some armour.

He says 'supported by armour', but it was immediately engaged and knocked out, with the crew becoming casualties.

He was the senior rank and did the obvious of organising the cover fire and casevac, personally dragging the commander from his wagon under fire.

He was awarded a MiD, but the unconscious officer he saved was awarded a MC as being the senior rank of the (ultimately successful) action.

Rank and cap badge were thought to be factors.

Arte_et_Marte

ADC
I don't seek to criticize others; their views are their own and just as valid as mine. But for me, the measly two medals I have are the most valuable possession I have. They're not worth a light in terms of folding money, UNPROFOR and NATO IFOR medals are ten-a-penny. They do however represent in my own mind that I did something of value at some point in my life. That's not to say the rest of my life has been a failure, far from it, but I did what I set out to do when I attested, and those bits of metal are a reminder that I served.

If my house was burning, after family and pets, I'd be rescuing my medals before anything else. To me, they are priceless. I have worn them on just a couple of occasions since I left, these were Remembrance parades. Since emigrating, I have not been to a parade, they're a bit different over here. So I don't keep them to wear, but to me, they are irreplaceable.
This.

The Cold War warriors of BAOR are the unsung heroes of military history. We were suicide squadrons in-waiting. British kamikaze units. On a continual, relentless Operational tour from the moment we set foot in Germany... Our bravery was that we were willing to sacrifice ourselves and be squashed by the mighty Third Shock Army in the hope of slowing it down by just a few minutes as our bodies got caught in the tracks of their armour. The only reason you never got to earn a medal for this brave act is that Ivan looked over the Inner German Border, saw the steely eyes looking back and bottled it*....

.I salute you for your service sir!

* - our bottles were provided in a yellow Herfy handbag... and your steely eyes were probably often bloodshot after a session...

Is it over?

Can I stop drinking now?

PaulinBont

Clanker
Whilst the baubles have gone without regret, I agree with a previous poster of the value ( and pride) in the little red book: " Exemplary" it says; never mind being drunk in charge of a FV180 during many an Active Edge ( does throwing up over the side of an APC, or asking the very attractive ( Dortmunder Union overdose) lumpy jumper Orderley Officer if she fancied joining me in doing the Zulu Warrior, blot my copy book; or inviting 4RTR to join us in doing the Dance of the Flaming *********, post rugby match ?)

Last edited:
SNIP

The only reason you never got to earn a medal for this brave act is that Ivan looked over the Inner German Border, saw the steely eyes looking back and bottled it*....

.I salute you for your service sir!

* - our bottles were provided in a yellow Herfy handbag... and your steely eyes were probably often bloodshot after a session...

I thought it was because -- amazingly -- they were more p!ssed than we were?

BAOR: British Alcoholics On the Rhine?

Whilst the baubles have gone without regret, I agree with a previous poster of the value ( and pride) in the little red book: " Exemplary" it says; never mind being drunk in charge of a FV180 during many an Active Edge ( does throwing up over the side of an APC, or asking the very attractive ( Dortmunder Union overdose) lumpy jumper Orderley Officer if she fancied joining me in doing the Zulu Warrior blot my copy book, or inviting 4RTR to join us in doing the Dance of the Flaming *********, post rugby match ?)

An officer was allegedly heard to say" When the lads stop pissing about, and acting like twats, and it all goes quiet, I become a very worried officer" ........All the above, situation normal....stag on....

I wear 11, well 12 really if you count the numeral, who gives a fxck what you do or don't choose to wear. Its personal choice. Once you're out nobody gives a fxck about you

Attachments

Not got a great rack of medals, instead a nice pension & still on marriage no.1!

I too only qualified for the LS and GC during my 26 years service in the military but as a civilian contractor received the OSM Afghanistan and the ACSM 2011 whilst earning a huge wedge of cash.

Ashamed? Not even a little bit.

The build up to an incursion into west Germany, by Warsaw pact forces would have been monitored closely by NATO, Britmiss would have monitored and reported back troop movements, and surveillance aircraft, and satellites ditto, . MI6 would have men on the ground, and British embassy's behind the iron curtain would be monitoring and reporting back to UK. plenty of warning. The IGB had 24/7 surveillance, any mass troop movement towards it would be spotted.

Last edited:

BopBopBop

Old-Salt

The fat biff medic nurse who waddled up five minutes after it happened, stood around flapping then went along for the ride in the helo got a medal for saving his hide. I got a certificate for being helpful.
I'm authorised to give you a pat on the back.
Well done sir.

Does it make me nasty that I'm continuing my Colour Service in the hope of getting an coronation medal and taking me into double figures?

cymraeg

War Hero
Sold mine when I was on the bones of my arse when I left. Fed me the mrs and the kid for a month. If ever I want some again I will just order some replacements of the interweb

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Royal Air Force 18
chocolate_frog The NAAFI Bar 72
1223Taff The NAAFI Bar 17

Latest Threads