Smart Roadster

Got a Nissan 350z, the insurance for me is about £400 but have over 5 yrs no claims. And Im a woman so obviously get a bit more off for ahem...being a more careful driver. Brillant cars and they shift too

I used to sell the Roadsters (not through choice, but by 'brand alignment').

Good bits: loads of fun on the twisty bits, the tiny engine is surprisingly zippy and the handling isn't bad. Good MPG too.

Bad bits: Ridiculously overpriced when launched. Unusable by the 'larger' driver (much over 6'). Tied to Smart dealer for servicing (e.g. no way to drain the oil out except with a suction rig from the top). May well end up extremely dead if you argue with something HGV sized. And more importantly, they LEAK. All of them. There is no way to stop it, god knows we tried. In the end the factory was advising us to drill drain holes in the bottom of the cockpit to stop the puddles.

In the end they stopped making them due to tiny sales and bog-awful build quality.

If you can find a tidy one within reach of a dealer, and you want a nice-weather sportster for weekends, fine. Targa roof is best.

If you are going to use it every day, buy a Spazda. Or a Tigra.

(Incidentally, the regular Smart is a brilliant town car but still stupidly expensive)

cheers mate, I have gathered about the leaking as I did some research, I think being single it would suit (enough luggage space to chuck my uniform in the but thats about it) but am concerned about the relability issue.

On the other hand I can park it next to my guvners at work

Trotsky

If you want a fun car to drive, get a Mazda MX-5 instead of a Smart Roadster.

For the benefit of the hard of thinking, Trotsky is talking about the "Smart Roadster" in particular, not smart roadsters in general.

(Is it just me? :roll: )

My female Sgt mate said "don't buy one of those, one of my PC's did, and three months later he was shagging 25 year old wpc's accross the bonnet"

I am putting myself down for two

Trotsky

Civvy_Shot hit the nail on the head about the Smart Roadster. You would survive a nasty impact though: the passenger cage is amazingly strong against front and side impacts (however main danger is a huge truck driving over you). Fun to drive but with flaws.

Our resident Matlow gives dodgy advice. Yes, you can buy an excellent condition (nearly new) Mazda MX5 for the same price. Yes, they are good fun to drive. Yes, the Mazda has low depreciation. But... its still a woman's car.

The Smart Roadster is unusual and is fun to drive. If you can live with the compromises and faults of its design, and you can find a cheap one in good condition then have fun. However... for the money you will need to spend to find a genuinely good example there are loads of alternatives out there.

My heart says get one, my head buy a polo (or even a standard smart for two ) still due to cash flow and other hitches I wont have to decide for another six weeks or so

)-;

Trotsky said:
My heart says get one, my head buy a polo (or even a standard smart for two ) still due to cash flow and other hitches I wont have to decide for another six weeks or so

)-;
If the polo's an option Audi A2 1.4 TDi might be a good buy £35 per year fro road tax temped to get one myself