Smart Roadster

Discussion in 'Cars, Bikes 'n AFVs' started by Trotsky, Feb 9, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Has anyone here owned a smart roadster of any type,? If so would you recommend and what was the insurance like?

Trotsky

2. Got a Nissan 350z, the insurance for me is about £400 but have over 5 yrs no claims. And Im a woman so obviously get a bit more off for ahem...being a more careful driver. Brillant cars and they shift too

4. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

My Brothers got one of rhose as well, hes vey happy with it. takes it Autobahn storming had it up to 176 mph.

5. Which one?

6. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

Which one what?

350Z? just the coupe. But un restricted.

Autobahn? one somewhere between Fally and Hamburg.

Brother? the Middleone :)

7. I used to sell the Roadsters (not through choice, but by 'brand alignment').

Good bits: loads of fun on the twisty bits, the tiny engine is surprisingly zippy and the handling isn't bad. Good MPG too.

Bad bits: Ridiculously overpriced when launched. Unusable by the 'larger' driver (much over 6'). Tied to Smart dealer for servicing (e.g. no way to drain the oil out except with a suction rig from the top). May well end up extremely dead if you argue with something HGV sized. And more importantly, they LEAK. All of them. There is no way to stop it, god knows we tried. In the end the factory was advising us to drill drain holes in the bottom of the cockpit to stop the puddles.

In the end they stopped making them due to tiny sales and bog-awful build quality.

If you can find a tidy one within reach of a dealer, and you want a nice-weather sportster for weekends, fine. Targa roof is best.

If you are going to use it every day, buy a Spazda. Or a Tigra.

(Incidentally, the regular Smart is a brilliant town car but still stupidly expensive)

8. cheers mate, I have gathered about the leaking as I did some research, I think being single it would suit (enough luggage space to chuck my uniform in the but thats about it) but am concerned about the relability issue.

On the other hand I can park it next to my guvners at work

Trotsky

9. If you want a fun car to drive, get a Mazda MX-5 instead of a Smart Roadster.

10. For the benefit of the hard of thinking, Trotsky is talking about the "Smart Roadster" in particular, not smart roadsters in general.

(Is it just me? :roll: )

11. It was posted as a wind up.

12. Not aimed at you mate, it was the response of
    that had me rolling my eyes.

14. My female Sgt mate said "don't buy one of those, one of my PC's did, and three months later he was shagging 25 year old wpc's accross the bonnet"

I am putting myself down for two

Trotsky