Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

'Smart' Motorways, an accident waiting to happen?

It struck me as stupidity at the time. The parallel would be removing the emergency exits on an airliner, or the lifeboats on a ship.

This is about expanding capacity on the cheap and ramping up the fines handed out from the speed cameras. Nothing else.
The last I heard, compliance with the speed limit on SM sections is actually pretty good, much better than on sections with no cameras. So there aren't all that many lucky winners of 3 points. The idea is not to generate money but to ensure compliance with the limit. Set your cruise control and laugh at the Audi/BMW mongs who whizz past you.

The last I heard, compliance with the speed limit on SM sections is actually pretty good, much better than on sections with no cameras. So there aren't all that many lucky winners of 3 points. The idea is not to generate money but to ensure compliance with the limit. Set your cruise control and laugh at the Audi/BMW mongs who whizz past you.
The unmarked car likes to sit in front of us on patrol, so the usual suspects who go, "it's only the wombles!" and go blatting past are in for a very rude awakening. ;)

Roads don't normally kill people its the drivers,, having spent alot of years driving abroard as a young man the germans are far and better drivers than the british, I believe it is down to german driver training. which is far superior to british training , some brit drivers fail to read ahead and drive within the roads conditions.
If only they did the indicator course, your capitals are buggered mate

TamH70

MIA
The difference is expectations. What do you expect not to do on a motorway that you are constantly expecting to do on any other class of road? The answer is simple.

Stop.

Ok, so you want to drive from Bristol (hellhole) to Glasgow (Hellhole). How are you going to do it? On A or B class roads or on a motorway? The answer is motorway because you know full well that providing your tank is full, once you get on the motorway, you won't need to stop or, (with a fair wind), drop below 50-ish for the entire journey.

You know for a cast iron fact you won't be able to do that on A/B roads due to junctions, tractors, pedestrian crossings, etc.

So once you've been on the motorway for over half an hour or so, the vast majority of drivers won't be paying quite as much attention to the driving task as they would be on lower class roads. I don't care how good a driver you are, if you're being honest with yourself, you know this to be true.

Thus you are more likely to be caught out on a motorway than on another class of road, because the normal free-flow of the journey has lulled you into a false sense of security. Take away the hard shoulder and that vehicle in front that would normally pull over onto it is now stopped in the nearside lane. The platoon of lorries in front of you might be able to pull out to pass it but each one will pull over that little bit closer to the stopped vehicle until one of them doesn't have enough time to react and then...

Or it could be a driver who has been at the wheel for too long and is dozing. WHACK!

You can't account for human nature but you can mitigate against it, The hard shoulder is mitigation. Lack of hard shoulder on a route where you don't expect to have to stop or come across a vehicle in a live lane isn't.

The hard shoulder on the M6 saved my life, no shit dit follows -

It was on our way back as a Regiment from a particularly arduous Annual Camp down in Devon (based in Fremington - great camp, BTW) and I was in the passenger seat of an NCRS* Land Rover towing that ******* horsebox thingy. I and the driver, one of my Staff Sergeants, were both knackered when we got in the vehicle and being only to get up to 30 MPH on the A roads and motorways just made things worse.

*Hence the "arduous" bit.

We were on the M6, no idea where on it, but on the M6 when both of us fell asleep at the same time and started drifting off the carriageway in our grossly overloaded and dangerous vehicle. It was the difference in sensation coming through the wheels on the hard shoulder and its dividing marker thingies which woke us up just before we piled into the barrier.

If it had been a "smart" motorway, we both would have been dead.

The following time we were down South with the NCRS kit, the Rovers and the horseboxes got transported by BFO wagons and trailers, and we were in buses.

I'm not your mate, you idiot

Calm down mate, it wasnt said in friendship. My friends dont shit their pants when driving on a road without a hard shoulder.

The shit drivers are the bellends who cant brake for a vehicle that has stopped in front of them. How do people manage on a motorway when cars stop for any reason?

If you break down in any lane apart from the hard shoulder how do you manage?

How do you manage when you breakdown anywhere else without a hard shoulder?

There's a slight difference between "normal" braking and having something come to a dead stop in front of you.
Travelling on a motorway at the national limit, in the event of a breakdown the vehicle will generally have sufficient momentum to roll to the hard shoulder. If one is available.
(There are of course exceptions to this.)
I'd hazard a guess that a majority of roads, single and dual carriageway, have some form of verge, Sufficient to get some portion out of the traffic flow(?)
(When I say "roads" I refer to main roads, not country lanes and single tracks.)

There's a slight difference between "normal" braking and having something come to a dead stop in front of you.
Travelling on a motorway at the national limit, in the event of a breakdown the vehicle will generally have sufficient momentum to roll to the hard shoulder. If one is available.
(There are of course exceptions to this.)
I'd hazard a guess that a majority of roads, single and dual carriageway, have some form of verge, Sufficient to get some portion out of the traffic flow(?)
(When I say "roads" I refer to main roads, not country lanes and single tracks.)

If you are driving on any road and there is a car stopped in front of you what do you do? What ever it is that you do, I hope you do it on a motorway.

The dual carriage way is at the national speed limit and doesnt have a hard shoulder and in a lot of cases no verge, but there doesnt seem to be a big panic about it.

If you are driving on any road and there is a car stopped in front of you what do you do? What ever it is that you do, I hope you do it on a motorway.

The dual carriage way is at the national speed limit and doesnt have a hard shoulder and in a lot of cases no verge, but there doesnt seem to be a big panic about it.

If driving on any road, speeds are generally lower.
Expectations are different. Stationary vehicles, pedestrians and even random animals are a possibility.
As I said, "I'd hazard a guess" the majority of dual carriageways and single lane roads, have a verge that allows a stationary vehicle to be taken off, in some part, from the live lanes.
Most motorways have some form of verge, (un) fortunately they are not easily accessed due to crash barriers.

If driving on any road, speeds are generally lower.
Expectations are different. Stationary vehicles, pedestrians and even random animals are a possibility.
As I said, "I'd hazard a guess" the majority of dual carriageways and single lane roads, have a verge that allows a stationary vehicle to be taken off, in some part, from the live lanes.
Most motorways have some form of verge, (un) fortunately they are not easily accessed due to crash barriers.

Apart from dual carriageway that have exactly the same speed limit?

There are often stationary vehicles on motorways, traffic jams, crashes, breakdowns (not in the hard shoulder) there is no excuse for not reacting to a stationary vehicle.

And again plenty of dual carriageways have nothing to park on either side (Or have crash barriers)

Apart from dual carriageway that have exactly the same speed limit?

There are often stationary vehicles on motorways, traffic jams, crashes, breakdowns (not in the hard shoulder) there is no excuse for not reacting to a stationary vehicle.

And again plenty of dual carriageways have nothing to park on either side (Or have crash barriers)

What world do you live in?
Sorry Stacker.
You are beginning to clutch at straws.
Why not find a convenient telephone box and start and argument there?

What world do you live in?
Sorry Stacker.
You are beginning to clutch at straws.
Why not find a convenient telephone box and start and argument there?

Im not the one who is claiming that you can drive on a duel carriage way with no hard shoulder at the top speed allowed but once you get on a motorway its all different.
Neither do I make up crap excuses for not being able to stop for a stationary vehicle on a smart motorway.

Latest Threads