'Smart' Motorways, an accident waiting to happen?

Right... Bellends who dont leave enough space to brake are more dangerous on smart motorways than they would be on any other road where they dont leave enough space to brake.
Yes, they are more dangerous.

Because if you don't leave space to brake in a 30 the collision will occur with a closing speed of 1-30mph.

On a smart motorway it could be up to 70mph. Or more if we're honest.

Thus the danger of the instance occuring, which you are focusing on, is broadly similar. The danger of the actual instance is massively greater on the faster roads.

....this accident waiting to happen has happened... (not Smart Motorway related I know, just car crash injury that'll make your teenage kids wince, as they're the main culprits). See it fairly regularly on my motorway travels passing cars with feet on the dashboard and a kid in the passenger seat oblivious and playing on their phone... that'll have made her eyes water....

Yes, they are more dangerous.

Because if you don't leave space to brake in a 30 the collision will occur with a closing speed of 1-30mph.

On a smart motorway it could be up to 70mph. Or more if we're honest.

Thus the danger of the instance occuring, which you are focusing on, is broadly similar. The danger of the actual instance is massively greater on the faster roads.

The speed limit is 70mph on dual carriageways and all other motorways. If someone is driving like a **** it isnt going to make any difference.

Quo_vadis

Swinger
""About 250 people are killed or injured on motorway hard shoulders every year,"

Now we have motorways without hard shoulders, where do you go to get out of the road now?
So much for driver awareness, plus how does breakdown services attend to vehicle
on the smart motorways
I agree with you about the bad driving on British roads, down here there is a road that
gets blamed for the amount of accidents on it, it's a perfectly good road,
we have our share of idiots
You do as you were supposed to do when there was a hard shoulder - get out of your car and wait behind the safety barrier.

The procedure for the attendance of breakdown services is different for smart motorways. The lane should first be closed and traffic slowed via the variable speed limit signs (something that could never be done with 'dumb' motorways). I have driven through several breakdown and accident scenes on smart motorways and the system seems to work very well in slowing and corralling traffic.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
You do as you were supposed to do when there was a hard shoulder - get out of your car and wait behind the safety barrier.

The procedure for the attendance of breakdown services is different for smart motorways. The lane should first be closed and traffic slowed via the variable speed limit signs (something that could never be done with 'dumb' motorways). I have driven through several breakdown and accident scenes on smart motorways and the system seems to work very well in slowing and corralling traffic.
Good luck with those lane closures. The number of times I've seen the stereotypical Audi/BMW driver hooting along and undertaking because they can get away with it, and because everyone else is doing as asked.

Those are the times that we need proper enforcement - with penalties which make sure that people damn well do as they're supposed to.

I’d also be interested in the @BossHogg perspective.

The key to understanding it would be in comparison of death per vehicle/kilometres, rather than the absolute numbers quoted in the media.

A picture taken on the M6 4 lane smart motorway from the inside lane (by my passenger before some fuckwit kicks off)

We could have 10 lanes and 3 hard shoulders but until ********* learn or are enforced to abide by lane discipline and how to obey simple rules of the road, fatalities will continue.

Had I carried on at my speed of less than 70 in the inside lane, I would have been traveling faster than the 3 outsid3 me and be breaking the law.

After driving for years in Europe, the incompetence of drivers in the UK is beyond belief.

View attachment 445991
My understanding is that you are supposed to stay in the inside lane unless overtaking.
If you can stay in the inside lane at or under the speed limit and not be too close to a vehicle in front of you there is nothing stopping you passing slow moving mongs in the other lanes.

Happy to be corrected by someone who actually knows what they are talking about.

Nah, you do as I see far too often, mill around the car taking selfies to post to your mates

Still, better than the muppets that stop in the outside lane with a puncture, put the hazards on and sit to wait for they AA, or better yet, one gets out and tries to change the wheel while the others sit inside talking selfies

Last edited:

anglo

LE

"You do as you were supposed to do when there was a hard shoulder - get out of your car and wait behind the safety barrier."
See post #227
Lower-impact-beam-installation.jpg

Which would you prefer, smart motorways or motorways with a hard shoulder

Still, better than the muppets that stop in the outside lane with a puncture, put the hazards on and sit to wait for they AA, or better yet, one gets out and trues to change the wheel while the others sit inside talking selfies
Arguably safer than doing the same in Lane 1 of a "Smart" motorway where there's more chance of being slammed by an HGV.

Quo_vadis

Swinger
"You do as you were supposed to do when there was a hard shoulder - get out of your car and wait behind the safety barrier."
See post #227
View attachment 446091
Which would you prefer, smart motorways or motorways with a hard shoulder
Noise barriers are not exclusive to smart motorways. They occur on 'dumb' motorways too. The advice on both smart and dumb motorways is to get out of your car (if it is safe to do so) and stand behind the barrier. Obviously, it is not safe to get out of your car if you cannot get behind the barrier (or, say, you are stuck in lane 3). If it were me, I would be out and over that noise barrier pretty damn quick.

I certainly wouldn't deny those who live next to motorways having some noise suppression, just because of the one in 50 million chance of my vehicle breaking down right next to the noise barrier and being crashed into.

I’d also be interested in the @BossHogg perspective.

The key to understanding it would be in comparison of death per vehicle/kilometres, rather than the absolute numbers quoted in the media.
I don't patrol smart motorways, I had to drive to Birmingham recently along smart stretches, I didn't like it one bit and I'm paid to patrol the motorway. My company says they're safe, I'm afraid I'm going to sit on the fence until there is categorical evidence refuting or confirming that statement.

Good luck with those lane closures. The number of times I've seen the stereotypical Audi/BMW driver hooting along and undertaking because they can get away with it, and because everyone else is doing as asked.

Those are the times that we need proper enforcement - with penalties which make sure that people damn well do as they're supposed to.
I related a dit in another thread about travelling South on the M6 couple of weeks ago. Lorry & car accident closed lanes 1-3, everyone queuing in lane 4 except the odd very important person whizzing down lane 1 and 2 and 3, overhead gantry indicating 40MPH with move over arrows in 1-3. Got close to the accident and overhead is now red X in lanes 1-3, gaggle of about 12 cars whiz past, another couple of hundred metres further and all the unmarked cop cars which had gone past with blues & twos on are corraling them :) £100 fine and 6 (maybe 3) points for driving on closed motorway. I was very very happy seeing that :)

....this accident waiting to happen has happened... (not Smart Motorway related I know, just car crash injury that'll make your teenage kids wince, as they're the main culprits). See it fairly regularly on my motorway travels passing cars with feet on the dashboard and a kid in the passenger seat oblivious and playing on their phone... that'll have made her eyes water....

F*cking idiots.

Mind you I've seen kids hanging out of sunroofs like diminutive tank commanders.

The speed limit is 70mph on dual carriageways and all other motorways. If someone is driving like a **** it isnt going to make any difference.
Yes.

But you grasp the concept that a collision at a closing speed of 30 won't be as bad as 70.

Basic risk assessment. Chance of it happening by what happens if it does.

I related a dit in another thread about travelling South on the M6 couple of weeks ago. Lorry & car accident closed lanes 1-3, everyone queuing in lane 4 except the odd very important person whizzing down lane 1 and 2 and 3, overhead gantry indicating 40MPH with move over arrows in 1-3. Got close to the accident and overhead is now red X in lanes 1-3, gaggle of about 12 cars whiz past, another couple of hundred metres further and all the unmarked cop cars which had gone past with blues & twos on are corraling them :) £100 fine and 6 (maybe 3) points for driving on closed motorway. I was very very happy seeing that :)
A truly smart motorway would be issuing ban notices to everyone who drove under a red X.

As befits our trunk road system, we should have a rigid control system on our motorways. Ie VRN clocked on entry and exit and at suitable points all down the route. Average greater than 70mph? Fined.

Latest Threads