Small Units Lure Taliban into the fight

Discussion in 'Infantry' started by Red Shrek, Oct 31, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Small US units lure Taliban into losing battles

By Scott Baldauf | Staff writer of The Christian Science Monitor

QALAT, AFGHANISTAN – It's mid- morning on June 21, and Lt. Timothy Jon O'Neal's platoon has just been dropped onto a dusty field north of a mud-walled village of Chalbar. Their mission: to check out reports that a local Afghan Army commander has defected to the Taliban and burned the district headquarters, and is prepared to fight.

Within minutes, it becomes clear that the reports are true, and the platoon is in trouble. The radio crackles with Taliban fighters barking orders to surround the Americans. Gunfire comes from the hilltops. Lieutenant O'Neal's men are easy targets. The Taliban have the high ground.

This has been the most violent year here since the fall of the Taliban in 2001. The US Army is moving in smaller numbers to lure the Taliban out of hiding for fights they cannot win. The result: More than 1,200 enemy deaths this year, including high-level commanders. But it is also a strategy with profound risks, and one that may be difficult to sustain in Zabul Province - a region so unstable that commanders call it the "Fallujah of Afghanistan" - as current troops return home, their replacements as yet undecided.

Through interviews with soldiers of Chosen Company, of the 2nd Battalion, 503rd Infantry of the 173rd Airborne Brigade, the Monitor has reconstructed two recent battles that illustrate how this strategy works, and how it may have weakened the Taliban movement's effectiveness as a military force - for now.

2. The Kin "Chosen Company" Do these men wear the green and are all Chosen by Sharp himself?

If not thay are CUN*s of the first order and not worthy of the title.
  3. Quote from the article:

"Here in Afghanistan, we've had over 75 percent of our contacts within hand grenade range."

One of the Septics killed a man who had a go from two feet.

They are doing the nasty, dirty side of the job and as far as I'm concerned can call themselves what they want.
  4. That would be Chosen, as in Reservoir, I suspect.
  5. Hmm the 503rd Parachute Infantry never fought at the Chosen Reservoir if I remember correctly. Could this be a WHOLE formed company of Walts? :lol:
  6. It's the Chosin Resevoir - and it was the USMC and Royal Marines!
  7. Roger - 40 Independent Commando carried out a speed march to give the Leathernecks much needed ammo and water. The USMC thanked them by thinning out and leaving the Royal Marines to do their job!
  8. In that case, my apologies, it'll be one of those deadly naff company name things they have going on - Assault, Braveheart, Crudbuster and Dogmuncher Companies for example. No doubt they shout "Chosen, huah!" at each other.

That'll be my coat over there, then.
  9. Which by extension would make F Coy the 'Forlorn Hope'