Small RAF crew in Sicily support operations over Libya

Discussion in 'Royal Air Force' started by MoD_RSS, Jul 6, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

2. And........?

3. How many personnel have the RAF got deployed on this operation?

4. Weathers smashing, just come back from my Hols in Italy.

5. blue-sophist

blue-sophist LE Good Egg (charities)

I'm delighted to hear we have a deployable Operational Laundry Unit.

Things have moved on a lot since the old days :nod:

6. Don't mock operational laundry. Have you never heard of the Siegfried Line?

Some of us have seen considerable action as Laundry & Morale Officers. I could tell you stories of extreme ironing that would make you as white as a sheet but that would mean airing dirty linen in public.

7. According to Nick Harvey in a letter on 21 June, "The number of RAF personnel (rounded to the nearest 50) deployed in support of Operation ELLAMY as at 1 June 2011 is shown below":

However, the more recent article kicking off this thread states there are 200 at Trapani so draw your own conclusions accordingly.

8. When you include Akrotiri, do you mean those posted there, or is there an additional Tornado det?

Even if it is the second, the troops would be put up in SLA at Aki, so can you really include that in the figure.

Not that I would in any way think you have an ulterior, carrier borne motive to posting on this thread! ;-)

9. Don't shoot the messenger. The letter was phrased as quoted and contained the information supplied, presumably from RAF sources. :nod:

10. one and half million for 900 bods... do they ll have their own personal 12x12, kero heater and camp cot then?

11. blue-sophist

blue-sophist LE Good Egg (charities)

I mock not, Sir. I was greatly pleased to discover an Operational Shower Unit operating at a secret base in the Malayan jungle, back in the happy 60's.

BTW that was 'Shower', as in 'Ablutions' rather than any reflection on the 3-4 sqns of AAC rotary-winged things operating from that loc. :)