• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Small Question

Not sure if this is an issue or not, i would be grateful for anyones thoughts on it.

Am apply to be an officer and have a boyfriend in the army but he is a Corporal, would this be frowned upon? Is it even allowed?

Based purely upon the presentation of this question, I'd advise you - strongly - to not even bother. Nothing to do with your significant other, rather the inability to present a coherent question: "applying" not "apply" in this context. Oh, and if you're a bloke, that is no bar whatsover, we welcome applicants of all sexual persuasions.

Yes it's allowed - you're just never going to serve together.

Is it frowned upon? There are people who will frown on anything.

You might want to give serious thought to the effect that it will have on your long term relationship - some Messes simply will not allow him in and vice versa.

join anyway, itll never last, youll be in the mess, handsome well paid gents all around who'll offer to whisk you away on romantic weekends to paris and rome, your boyfriend will get jealous and will try and keep tabs on you, youll become embarressed by him and his behaviour if you take him to mess functions as he'll treat it like he's in the NAAFI, arguements will follow, you'll get sick of his childish ways and sack him.
Simple really!

Good, join up and get stuck in, its your life.

Sounds like your mind is already made up. Ditch the boyfriend. Filbert will be the tall handsome one at the end of the bar surrounded by totty

:)

[
Filbert Fox said:
join anyway, itll never last, youll be in the mess, handsome well paid gents all around who'll offer to whisk you away on romantic weekends to paris and rome, your boyfriend will get jealous and will try and keep tabs on you, youll become embarressed by him and his behaviour if you take him to mess functions as he'll treat it like he's in the NAAFI, arguements will follow, you'll get sick of his childish ways and sack him.
Simple really!
I take it spelling and grammar are not an Officers strong point??

cpunk

LE
Ronnie8781 said:
[
Filbert Fox said:
Simple really!
Which strongly suggests that you aren't an officer either.

Ronnie8781 said:
I know it's boring but I couldn't resist:

You forgot the apostrophe between "Officer" and "s".

Stones and glass houses...

Ahhh....its Ronnie...the failed squaddie! The wee bugger pops up everywhere! A grudge against commissioned types AND other cap badges! Those warm summer evenings must just fly by in your house!

Ray OJ,

You can continue with the relationship, but it will be an up hill battle my friend (for the reasons given). It should not stop you giving it a bash though. Best of luck to you.

Jonners

Gosh. I've finally found it. A thread that reminds me why its good to be a civilian.

Ray_of_jonno think again.

This thread is a small taste of Ante Room life. Life in the officers mess really is a series pissing contests about who can be the most **** and pompous about the use of the English language. ;)

rickshaw said:
Based purely upon the presentation of this question, I'd advise you - strongly - to not even bother. Nothing to do with your significant other, rather the inability to present a coherent question: "applying" not "apply" in this context. Oh, and if you're a bloke, that is no bar whatsover, we welcome applicants of all sexual persuasions.
I've never come across you before Rickshaw but I feel I've known you all my life, patronising git.

The officer/cpl marriage debate. Despite all the many good things about the military you can be assured of traditional snobbery and unfulfilled people like Rickshaw to enforce it. Good luck whatever you choose.

Ronnie8781 said:
Filbert Fox said:
blah blah blah, various spelling and grammer errors, blah blah blah :roll:
who said I was an officer? not me!

prrrrrrrrrrick!

jonny956 said:
Ahhh....its Ronnie...the failed squaddie! The wee bugger pops up everywhere! A grudge against commissioned types AND other cap badges! Those warm summer evenings must just fly by in your house!

Ray OJ,

You can continue with the relationship, but it will be an up hill battle my friend (for the reasons given). It should not stop you giving it a bash though. Best of luck to you.

Jonners
Failed? Alright mate you think that? Now tell me how I have a grudge against comission types? Its unfortunate that a good proportion of my friends are? I have no problem with other cap badges considering I have a lot of friends in my old Regt as well as RE, it is just RMP I have a problem with. You must have no life whatsoever to keep following me around and not letting my dig at you lie. Now my I kindly ask you to feck off and get a life! C0ck

Join up anyway. You'll ditch the boyfriend after commissioning and become a darksider after shagging your Staffy or other JNCO det commanders.

I've seen it all before - but don't worry, you won't be punished for it. In fact you'll get on just fine.

CH

From what i can gather, sounds like i will be having fun! I suppose if it works then thats great but if not it obviously wasn't ment to be. Cheers for your opinions on the matter.