Small Point and shoot wanted, thoughts?

Discussion in 'Photography' started by viceroy, Aug 2, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have an SLR and a very good video cam, as well as an iPhone that is ok for emergencies. I realise this is a luxury problem, but I ought to address it prior to my next trip. Sometimes all this gear is too much hassle and I need a 'jack of all trades', in just one device here is the list of requirements:

- Integrated GPS
    - Wide Angle Lens (approx 20-25mm) and relatively broad range
    - Reasonable optical Zoom
    - Full HD Video
    - Wireless would be nice but not a must

I have had Sonys for years, mainly because at the time they combined video and still image very well and have very great sensor built in for portraits. I still use a Sony Videocamera that is the dog's danglies. I am getting a bit tired of the Sonys tbh and some idiot made my current model wet a couple of weeks ago at Alton Towers. I have a Nikon D90 but I am not overly impressed with Nikon's Point & Shoot models. Always liked the Nexus range from Canon, but what do you guys recommend?

2. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

3. I have an olympus TG610 (Tough series) it's 14mp, waterproof, shockproof, and most importantly takes nice photos. I know the newer models have gps as well.

If you're thinking of using it at places like alton towers where it may get wet or knocked about then it might suit you.

Sent from my iPhone using ARRSE

4. The Specs look good and the overwhelming majority of feedback is positive. Do you find them easy to use? Are they good for skin colors and overall saturation? I have no time to touch up / Photoshop pics, I want to make sure they come out well the way I snap them. Lens is secondary IMHO actually, I find that the sensor really is the most important part. We use this camera to fill a gap but often it gets the most use as the SLR stays at home most of the time or isn't being used by anyone but myself.

Not so hot on Olympus, had a look nonetheless. None of their 'tough' models comes with GPS. I like the 'tough' aspect but often (as in this case) it means a compromise on the lens width.

5. There you go, one SMALL point and shoot camera.......

minox-dsc.jpg

6. I can say my G12 is the camera that makes me leave my DSLR at home. No GPS though, but tough as nails.

7. FinePix Z1000EXR
    16Mpixels, 28-140mm zoom (relative to 35mm), PhotographyBlog - July 2012 gave it 5 starts. Gave the sprogette its smaller (older) brother, the 900 EXR, just over a year ago. She used it for D0fEdinburgh and on ATF Adventure Training in Llanbedr. Tough and small enough to slip into a shirt pocket. Don't get put off by the "fashion" label. Also has mini HDMI output.

From the Fuji site: "Wirelessly connect to your Smartphone to instantly share your photos online". Doesn't have GPS, but you should be able to use smart phones and GPS trackers.

FinePix Z1000EXR | Fujifilm United Kingdom

8. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

The Fuji X10 is rapidly becoming the press photographer's compact camera of choice and it's an utterly brilliant little camera.

No GPS, but then again learn to map read!

9. Correct. Only 720p Video though. I also do not trust these tiny lenses to produce good pics in anything but bright sunshine.

10. You are a twat Gremlin, I need it for later reconciliation, not for directions! I blame iPhoto's world map function for the obsession. GPS is a must I am afraid, cheers though. ;-)

11. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

Seriously-

If you are insisting on GPS then you are massively racking up the price of the camera or hugely losing out on its quality.

If you've got iPhotos, then hopefully you've got an iPhone as well. There are numerous Apps that will allow you to plot where you take the photos and reconcile later in iPhotos, Aperture or a few other PP programmes.

The other option is to look at something called an Eye-Fi card. The Eye-Fi Pro version is about £100. It'll wirelessly tfr to a PC/Mac/Lappy, fire shots on an Adhoc network to an iPad/Phone, apply GPS settings to the files (extra cost) and if you really really want it to, automatically upload to Flickr/Twatter etc etc via preregistered WiFi nodes.

Now go and do some leg work (research, not trekking!!)

:)

PS, if you're interested in image quality and low light ability, the firdt four photos in this set were shot on an X10 in shonky weather!!

http://m.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2166935/UK-Weather--One-wettest-coldest-dullest-Junes-records-began.html

12. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

I had an SLR but they made me give it back! Bastards.

13. I am afraid I do not have time to do all this research you are speaking of, hence I have asked the question here. I have learned something though, which is that I needn't buy a camera with GPS if I always carry my iPhone with built in GPS with me. I have looked at the app store and gps4cam seems to do somewhat similar to what I need for $2.99. I do love the convenience of not having to change settings on 2 devices though, I like to just pull it out, show it to the ladies, wait for the screams, snap & move on, as I have just done during the last holidays. I was half sold on the Lumix tbh...

14. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

I've had the TZ6 for quite a while now and tbh, in terms of image quality, in decent light it turns out pictures as good as my D90. the only negative for me is Panasonic insist on chipping their batteries, so it can be quite difficult to get compatible third-party cells (OEM batteries, predictably, are invariably three or four times the price.) but apart from that, the only other drawback to it is it's nowhere near as fast as my DSLR - but then it's not going to be.

15. I have ordered the Panasonic DMC-TZ30EG-K, will revert back once I have had a chance to test it.