SMALL(ISH) 4x4

Discussion in 'Cars, Bikes 'n AFVs' started by Dubb_al_Ibn, May 30, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Due to the type of work I do (75% ordinary roads but tracks and fields sometimes) and being caught out last winter in a hilly, rural area with the snow, I'm looking to replace the faithful old Honda hatchback (yes, I know but it's very reliable, etc. etc.).

I want something with a bit of ground clearance and optional 4x4 and possibly able to tow a small trailer BUT I don't want some great tank-like beast; Jeep Cherokee, X5 etc because I still want to be able to get around town and smallish lanes and not spend my life savings on fuel.

Low emission level would be good and I've not got a view on petrol or diesel, yet.

I've looked at the small Vitara (slightly "hairdresser"), Honda CR V and cast an eye over the Suburu estate-types (seem to have a good reputation with the rural working types around here).

Any advice, thoughts or experiences would be welcome.

Or should I just give in to the testosterone urges and go for an old Defender...... ?

2. Suburu Forester is not bad, well built & with a new diesel engine.
    But if you want a "real" 4x4 then a Land Rover Defender!
    Lots of adverts for cheap ones in the Land Rover mags at the newsagents.
    Or online via google.

3. Hmm, I'm seriously thinking Suburu might be the answer.

(Mind you, if I had the money I'd get an old Defender anyway, just to do it up.)

4. Toyota surf?

5. [​IMG]

One of these babys ?

PS The only cheap Landy is the one you sign out on an ATUD

6. Have you thought about an old Daihatsu Fourtrak? I know a few farmers who really ratethem - cheap to buy/get spares for - not sure about ecomony/emmissions though.

T

7. I have an old frontera 2ltr sport. In five years I have replaced the tyres once and replaced the exhaust once. That's it in spares. It returns around 30mpg and is as reliable as they get.

8. Thank you for the suggestions. Some more food for thought.

I'd forgotten about the Fourtrak. They do seem to last.

9. The Four track. A mate runs his on veg oil as well so his fuel bills are non exisitant.

10. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

Mitsubishi Outlander!

I sold mine earlier this year for financial reasons, but very very reluctantly.

For a softroader (Freelander/CRV class) they are excellent both on and off the road. They have the lowest emissions in their class and will happily cruise on the motorway at 90mph (not in the UK for course! ;) ) at about 30mpg+.

I've used XTrails, Freelanders CRVs etc as well as the bigger versions and this has been my favourite by far. Good basic spec, and the upper levels have the works inc Sat Nav and rear view camera, as well as a spanking sound system. They will handle all but the worst off road terrain including snow, ice, mud and fording, and can tow up to about 1000kg or so.

The storage capacity in the boot and cabin area is amazing and the driving comfort superb.

A low mileage '08 Elegance (top of the line apart from pimp glass and DVD player) 2.0ltr TD should be about £17-18k. If you go for one, get the ECU performance chip installed. At about £800 it isn't cheap, but it massive improves the fuel economy and power performance, especially the torque.

Despite their size all levels, apart from the basic one, are seven seaters albeit the rear seats are really for children or short trips only.

11. Toyota Hilux Pickup with a Truckman lid. Top Gear never gets it wrong.

12. I drove one of those in cyprus on a tour brilliant fun to drive, never had any trouble with it in the whole 6 months on or off the road.

13. Sympathetic_Reaction

Sympathetic_Reaction LE Book Reviewer

My wife used to have a sporttrak...slightly more refined version of the fourtrak...great little car...took if off-road on the plains and it ran fine.

S_R