Slumdog millionaire

A bit overlong and slow moving in parts, but still a good film. Jamal is a young man who grew up in the slums of Mombai along with his gangster brother Salim. Early on, Hindis go on a rampage and kill Muslims, including Jamal's mother. By a strange quirk of fate, he eventually ends up on the Indian programme "Who Wants to be a Millionaire" and, because he contiunues to know the answers, is taken away to be be tortured - as it is assumed he must be cheating.

During the interogation, he reveals through flashbacks, how he came to know the answers to the questions - mostly through chance happenings in Mombai's ghettoes and criminal underworld. There is a underlying love story also, (that doesn't get in the way of the main story, thankfully) and this turns out to be Jamal's motivation for going on the programme.

The doris dragged me off to see this a few weeks ago. I must say I was not overly enthralled by the prospect of watching something which was 50% subtitled, and therefore went grudgingly.

However, I was pleasantly surprised. It was funny in places*, not too much emphasis on the romance and generally easy watching... which is good work by the writers/director, given some of the subject matter.

Give it a shot.

*The image of the little kid covered in shite will stay with me for a while :D

I thought it was good too. Been to Mumbai many times and it was certainly 'evocative'

Mr Happy

LE
I know Mumbai fairly well (both my regular hotels were recently in the news). I look forwards to catching this movie.

Was it from the same guy who did the 2 Sao Paulo gangster movies? Children of God and ???

Danny Boyal lived next door to my gran. sorry my claim to fame had to get that in.