Sluggy beats us all

"Gutty box" Navvies lunch box - from the days of hand dug canals.

Inherited from grandparents - he was a Heating Engineer and installed the boilers in Canterbury Catherdral amongs other places (Jones and Attwood) . Gutty therefore becoming a stash of snacks or treats

Last edited:
"Gutty box" Navvies lunch box - from the days of hand dug canals.

Inherited from grandparents - he was a Heating Engineer and installed the boilers in Canterbury Catherdral amongs other places (Jones and Attwood). Gutty therefore becoming a stash of snacks or treats
Many pinballs.

Very late to this thread , sorry sluggy I can still smell pip

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
We all can, and the ginger stig of the dump has been dead years. ;)
Did being dead improve the smell?

I know it's a delicate topic, but I had to ask.

Did being dead improve the smell?

I know it's a delicate topic, but I had to ask.
you didn't meet the dog, we used to look after him, the only time he stank worse was after rolling in fox crap

A friend of mine let their dog roll in fox crap and then rolled on the living room carpet! He had to sleep on the sofa for a week! :D

Kirkz

LE
A friend of mine let their dog roll in fox crap and then rolled on the living room carpet! He had to sleep on the sofa for a week! :D
If my dog rolled in fox shit then rolled on the livingroom carpet he'd be in the Pet cemetery not kipping on the sofa.

They sent her home after a routine scan with an undiagnosed fractured hip after a fall she told them about. After a couple of days she couldn't walk with the pain - heavy drugs notwithstanding. She overheard the GP's call from her hall to the hospital. The profesional opinion given was enjoyably definitive, she said.
#love the NHS

Every time I see this thread back on the front page, I get a certain frisson of fear that she's risen from the dead to come back and cut all our faces...

Muwhahahaha!

They sent her home after a routine scan with an undiagnosed fractured hip after a fall she told them about. After a couple of days she couldn't walk with the pain - heavy drugs notwithstanding. She overheard the GP's call from her hall to the hospital. The profesional opinion given was enjoyably definitive, she said.
As a septic sort on here I always read posts about how wonderful NHS care is. Based on Ang's (mis)diagnosis and my 2 days experience in a hospital near Heathrow I am quite happy that I get my healthcare in the US.

When it works, it works very well, but when it doesn't it is bad. It is just that in reality - as in any field or business - mistakes are made, sometimes in good faith and by the best and they ain't psychic : if you are seen to cope, you are left to cope, because they are used to more obvious signalling. Stoicism is less of a norm nowadays

However, without being Pollyanna-ish, what they achieve broadly with the resources available and systemic pressures is impressive. I speak as a repeat user.

Kirkz

LE
As a septic sort on here I always read posts about how wonderful NHS care is. Based on Ang's (mis)diagnosis and my 2 days experience in a hospital near Heathrow I am quite happy that I get my healthcare in the US.
Given the help they've given me and my family for what it's cost me in my lifetime I'm very grateful that I've had the use of the NHS.

NSP

LE
In her private musings to me (which I still have) Her Snailness intimated that her first [failed] encounter with a surgeon was with one not trained in this country to our standards. It was only when she was opened up again by a surgeon trained to our standards that the ultimate flaw was uncovered, sadly past the point of treatment.

I'm paraphrasing but the original extensive discourse was given in private on the proviso it would remain so so don't ask for more. I like having a face - even if it is this one.

It is not the NHS that is the problem per se but the policies of governments. various. I won't say which government was suggested as being given to policies that caused the problem referenced above because that would again make public things that were guaranteed to be private and because the slug in question didn't really do politics but, reading between the lines, some things were self-evident.

[cough] Tony [/cough]

My own experience of the NHS has on the whole been positive and timely.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Based on my 3 weeks in ICU including a week in St Thomas' in Westminster I'm damn glad I get my emergency healthcare via the NHS......

Over your way ,the hospital would now own my house plus first dibs on my cadaver.

It seems to be worryingly common, I only went in for an operation on my shoulder once and this nurse came along and started shaving my knee

Turns out I was down to have a kneecap replacement, as they'd got me mixed up with someone with the same name

All sorted out in the end but it didn't inspire confidence

And then the was the time a few years back I got rushed into casualty been unable to breath properly and literally gasping for breath like a dying goldfish out of it's tank, and muttering about having weird out of body experiences

Instead of recognising I was slipping into a diabetic coma, no they left me as they were going to get someone from the Ablet when they were available and see if I needed to sectioned because they thought I was having a psychotic break as I wasn't very coherent, a no shit sherlock moment...

Last edited:

Latest Threads