SLR

HI,

can you please help me out the SLR and the Belgian FN FAL
Are they the same basic rifle just the British version was a self loading rifle and the Argie version was fully automatichad ?

Both 7.62mm assault rifle

I know the British SLR had minor changes
but you cauld say they are the :? same??

SLR was technically a 'battle rifle' of G3 and M14 ilk, using as it did a more powerful round.

I believe the main changes were simply to bring the weapon in line with British Manufacturing standards as opposed to continental - Imperial as opposed to Metric measurements, for example. Otherwise, pretty similar.

Oh, and the whole single shot thing, but nothing a cunningly placed matchstick couldn't solve...

(not that i've ever used one of course, i'm a young person ;) )

Yeoman_dai said:
SLR was technically a 'battle rifle' of G3 and M14 ilk, using as it did a more powerful round.

I believe the main changes were simply to bring the weapon in line with British Manufacturing standards as opposed to continental - Imperial as opposed to Metric measurements, for example. Otherwise, pretty similar.

Oh, and the whole single shot thing, but nothing a cunningly placed matchstick couldn't solve...

(not that i've ever used one of course, i'm a young person ;) )
My bold. 7.62mm - Imperial?

I was talking manufacturing - machine tooling and the rest, not calibre thats a whooole different ball game.

Yeoman_dai said:
How powerful was the SLR round then? Compared to the weaker round used in a G3 or M-14?
Thanks for your help.

It was the same round. NATO standard, you see. Also, more powerful than 5.56.

Magdovus said:
It was the same round. NATO standard, you see. Also, more powerful than 5.56.
Thanks, mate!
Are these rounds used only in battle rifles?

7.62x51mm is, as I understand it, only a heavy combat round- I don't believe it's used for hunting.

5.56x45mm is derived from the .223 IIRC, which was a hunting round originally.

Many of the new rounds- 6.8mm, 5.7mm and 4.6mm are specifically designed for use as combat rounds.

There is lots of info on the net, try wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7.62

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5.56

Magdovus said:
7.62x51mm is, as I understand it, only a heavy combat round- I don't believe it's used for hunting.

5.56x45mm is derived from the .223 IIRC, which was a hunting round originally.

Many of the new rounds- 6.8mm, 5.7mm and 4.6mm are specifically designed for use as combat rounds.

There is lots of info on the net, try wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7.62

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5.56
Excellent - that will have me reading on ammo for a change. Will keep me out of mischief for the night. Ta!

7.62, interesting...

Magdovus said:
My bold

Might I suggest you compare 308 Win to 7.62 NATO and then edit your last thread! :x :oops:

Flying Felix said:
Magdovus said:
My bold

Might I suggest you compare 308 Win to 7.62 NATO and then edit your last thread! :x :oops:
Battle rifle rounds are NOT used for hunting - end of!

So these 'heavy combat' rounds can only be used in 'battle rifles`?

Why is that then?

para_medic said:
Flying Felix said:
Magdovus said:
My bold

Battle rifle rounds are NOT used for hunting - end of!
You'll have to pardon my ignorance only been shooting for 30 odd years and considered a SME for 19, what the hell is a battle rifle round?

7.62 x 51 is a standard, not a round type like say, Ball, FMJ, JSN, JHP, Tracer, AP, API etc.

You'll have to ask the pundits Yeo and Mag - I have just discovered that 7,62 is a heavy combat round used in battle rifles myself. So,... I will only be able to give you my expert opinion after I googled those terms. Sorry.

para_medic said:
You'll have to ask the pundits Yeo and Mag - I have just discovered that 7,62 is a heavy combat round used in battle rifles myself. So,... I will only be able to give you my expert opinion after I googled those terms. Sorry.
Then may I politely suggest that you don't post such ill informed bollox as:

"Battle rifle rounds are NOT used for hunting - end of"

in the future.

There are quite a few people on here who put my "expertise" to shame when it comes to SAA and some of them would have had a heart attack at your comments and would not have been as sensitive to your feelings.

OK, I give up and apologize. To recap:
I learned on this thread that the SLR is a 'battle rifle' [sic] that uses more powerful rounds [sic] than the G3
Yeoman_dai said:
then I learned that the 7.62 is
Magdovus said:
so, after only 23 years of shooting I was happy to learn something new :) tonight. Sorry you can't share my happiness.
Was fun at the time though.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Bugsy Weapons, Equipment & Rations 21
C Infantry 35
OldSnowy Classified Ads 2