Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by stanger, Jul 1, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. HI,

can you please help me out the SLR and the Belgian FN FAL
    Are they the same basic rifle just the British version was a self loading rifle and the Argie version was fully automatichad ?

Both 7.62mm assault rifle

I know the British SLR had minor changes
    but you cauld say they are the :? same??
  2. Thank you :)
  3. SLR was technically a 'battle rifle' of G3 and M14 ilk, using as it did a more powerful round.

I believe the main changes were simply to bring the weapon in line with British Manufacturing standards as opposed to continental - Imperial as opposed to Metric measurements, for example. Otherwise, pretty similar.

Oh, and the whole single shot thing, but nothing a cunningly placed matchstick couldn't solve...

(not that i've ever used one of course, i'm a young person ;) )
  4. Wikipedia.

More opinions from gun geeks than you can shake a stick at.
  5. thank you for the help
  6. My bold. 7.62mm - Imperial?
  7. I was talking manufacturing - machine tooling and the rest, not calibre thats a whooole different ball game.
  8. How powerful was the SLR round then? Compared to the weaker round used in a G3 or M-14?
    Thanks for your help.
  9. It was the same round. NATO standard, you see. Also, more powerful than 5.56.
  10. Thanks, mate!
    Are these rounds used only in battle rifles?
  11. 7.62x51mm is, as I understand it, only a heavy combat round- I don't believe it's used for hunting.

5.56x45mm is derived from the .223 IIRC, which was a hunting round originally.

Many of the new rounds- 6.8mm, 5.7mm and 4.6mm are specifically designed for use as combat rounds.

There is lots of info on the net, try wikipedia
  12. Excellent - that will have me reading on ammo for a change. Will keep me out of mischief for the night. Ta!

7.62, interesting...
  13. My bold

Might I suggest you compare 308 Win to 7.62 NATO and then edit your last thread! :x :oops:
  14. Battle rifle rounds are NOT used for hunting - end of!
  15. So these 'heavy combat' rounds can only be used in 'battle rifles`?

Why is that then?