SLR - ( yes more about it)

Does anyone know whether a copy of the rifle drill manual for the L1A1 is publically available.

I have fond(!) memories of learning it for my CCF Drill Squad demo at my boarding school in 1963 and 1964.

We had a DI from 1 Training Regt, RE to polish us a bit.

CCF with SLRs? We still had No 4 303s in 1968.
Only touched SLRs when on a course / camp with the Regular Army or TA.

If you were in the CCF in 1963/4 then you should have used the SLR later (as the L1A1 only started to be withdrawn in 1985). That would be, unless the CCF was the sum total of your military experience, in which case the comedic potential of this question is almost unbounded.

We were using .303s in 1982!

You must have been a well-connected CCF.
.....and in 1988, we only saw SLR's about twice a year if we were lucky. They were still issuing puttees then too!

We were only able to have the use of SLR's for 6 weeks in the summer term for the Drill Squad of 24 of which I was a member. We were also issued bayonets and the relevent bayonet frog. Otherwise we wore battledress, ammunition boots and white blancoed belt and anklets. We were honoured to be able to wear the RE cap badge, The uniform had (school) CCF on the sholders.

As regards my military experience, my father was a Royal Navy Commander ( Senior Service you know). I was unable to join the services as my hearing was (is) such that I would have failed a medical. One of my memories was being taught about ( but not using!) Det cord, Fuze Instantaneous and PETNT.

I think you may be dreaming or have your dates mixed up a bit .Cadet forces all of em scc aac etc were using the old 3.0.3.Even the aroyal navy did not get the SLR till post 1966 and thast is defo

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
We were only able to have the use of SLR's for 6 weeks in the summer term for the Drill Squad of 24 of which I was a member. We were also issued bayonets and the relevent bayonet frog. Otherwise we wore battledress, ammunition boots and white blancoed belt and anklets. We were honoured to be able to wear the RE cap badge, The uniform had (school) CCF on the sholders.

As regards my military experience, my father was a Royal Navy Commander ( Senior Service you know). I was unable to join the services as my hearing was (is) such that I would have failed a medical. One of my memories was being taught about ( but not using!) Det cord, Fuze Instantaneous and PETNT.
A little knowledge can be dangerous.

I was unable to join the services as my hearing was (is) such that I would have failed a medical. One of my memories was being taught about ( but not using!) Det cord, Fuze Instantaneous and PETNT.
Out of curiousity, how would you have known if it went off? Do they hold up a big sign with BANG written on it?

Anybody going to reply to my original question posted on 8th October ?
Yes -- Fcuk off out of Old and Bold forum.
You have your own Forum - ACF - to spout dull, childish utterings to the other kids.

MODERATORS - can you make a ruling on this one ?
I have noticed the general standard of wit and filth on this site being diluted by wannabees and cadets mouthing off puerile drivel.

...its like having a couple of beers in a Pub with your mates and a bunch of kids come screaming through.....

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Bugsy Weapons, Equipment & Rations 21
C Infantry 35
OldSnowy Classified Ads 2