SLR - ( yes more about it)

Discussion in 'Old & Bold' started by lepidus, Oct 8, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Does anyone know whether a copy of the rifle drill manual for the L1A1 is publically available.

I have fond(!) memories of learning it for my CCF Drill Squad demo at my boarding school in 1963 and 1964.

We had a DI from 1 Training Regt, RE to polish us a bit.

2. CCF with SLRs? We still had No 4 303s in 1968.
    Only touched SLRs when on a course / camp with the Regular Army or TA.

3. We were using .303s in 1982!

You must have been a well-connected CCF.

• Like Like x 1
  4. If you were in the CCF in 1963/4 then you should have used the SLR later (as the L1A1 only started to be withdrawn in 1985). That would be, unless the CCF was the sum total of your military experience, in which case the comedic potential of this question is almost unbounded.

• Like Like x 1
  5. .....and in 1988, we only saw SLR's about twice a year if we were lucky. They were still issuing puttees then too!

6. Puttees?? Nig. Anklets if you don't mind....

7. We were only able to have the use of SLR's for 6 weeks in the summer term for the Drill Squad of 24 of which I was a member. We were also issued bayonets and the relevent bayonet frog. Otherwise we wore battledress, ammunition boots and white blancoed belt and anklets. We were honoured to be able to wear the RE cap badge, The uniform had (school) CCF on the sholders.

As regards my military experience, my father was a Royal Navy Commander ( Senior Service you know). I was unable to join the services as my hearing was (is) such that I would have failed a medical. One of my memories was being taught about ( but not using!) Det cord, Fuze Instantaneous and PETNT.

8. Anybody going to reply to my original question posted on 8th October ?

9. I think you may be dreaming or have your dates mixed up a bit .Cadet forces all of em scc aac etc were using the old 3.0.3.Even the aroyal navy did not get the SLR till post 1966 and thast is defo

10. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Try this : BRITISH ARMY OFFICIAL DRILL INSTRUCTION MANUALS ON CD | eBay

That took me approx 30 seconds to search on ebay. You will have to stop being a lazy tosspot and use a little iniative.

There is more out there - go look.

• Like Like x 3
  11. Woofers ACF in the early seventies (well connected private school) we had .303 and I never saw an SLR.

12. Cadet walt:)

• Like Like x 2
  13. Sort of. I wore the uniform but never took it all that seriously, given that it was school staff walting as our Officers. Mr Green as a steely eyed dealer of death on drill night and wimpy Geography teacher the following morning.

14. Not you, it was addressed at Lepidus, and it was in fun.

15. The ATC sqn i went to still has SLRs in its armoury, only 4 or 5 of them, they where still there when i left about mid 2005/6