SLR v SA80 the results are in

Poppycock

War Hero
I learnt to shoot wearing puttees, firing the .303 SMLE & I got range time with the SLR & SA80 before leaving the cadets in mid 1980s

From first picking up the SA80 c.1986 to the last time I fired one in 2012, the comment I kept muttering under my breath was:

"But it's a .22"

Last edited:

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
I learnt to shoot wearing puttees, firing the .303 SMLE & I got range time with the SLR & SA80 before leaving the cadets in mid 1980s

From first picking up the SA80 c.1986 to the last time I fired one in 2012, the comment I kept muttering under my breath was:

"But it's a .22"
1626889123333.png

It seems strange that you would take aim before cocking the weapon. That really never has been an issue with the L85 - Ready - Aim - Fire sound familiar.

It just sounds like someone invented a problem that never existed.

You use the change lever with your left hand, not your right which remains on the pistol grip, index finger along the trigger guard.

Which hand did you use to change the none existent change lever on the SLR?
Right hand thumb, if memory serves!
Changes from safety, to Fire. ;)

The SLR came straight out of the box as is...how many iterations of the SA80 ?

There could have numerous upgrades for the SLR but, the powers that be decided to go for the Airsofter with the bendy bayonet. The real kicker to all the Airsoft fans was "There has been found to be a need for a longer range section rifle in Afghanistan" and the calibre chosen was ???? 7.62,who'da thought ?

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
The SLR came straight out of the box as is...how many iterations of the SA80 ?

There could have numerous upgrades for the SLR but, the powers that be decided to go for the Airsofter with the bendy bayonet. The real kicker to all the Airsoft fans was "There has been found to be a need for a longer range section rifle in Afghanistan" and the calibre chosen was ???? 7.62,who'da thought ?
Really? I'm sure I remember about 30 modifications and god knows how many Misc Instructions pertaining to the SLR.....

As for the rest of your post, you would be wise to remember that it's not often that any war is the same as the last one.

NSP

LE
the 19inch SMLE Lee Enfield Rifle Bayonet.
More properly known as the1907 Pattern bayonet. Well, the one my grandpa was issued throughout his service from 1935 to 1947 was, anyway (whatever REME was to an armoured regiment before it was REME and then REME when it was invented in 1942) - it's sat on top of the cabinet I keep my DVDs in. Interestingy, he was promoted to sergeant in late 1939 and then SSgt in mid-1941, remaining in that rank until the end of his service, and so carried a Sten and sidearm in theatre. Still had the ol' 18 incher hanging from his belt, though.

NSP

LE
Lucky man

Excused shorts ?
He spent his entire war service in North Africa, after a brief stint giving the Italians a shoeing in Abyssinia, so I expect he was quite glad not to be excused shorts!

Poppycock

War Hero
Oh right, didn’t realise we’d lost the war in Iraq and Afghanistan because of the change lever on the L85.
Derrrr.

Everyone knows we lost Afghanistan (Helmand) when Rosalind Marsden sacked Sher Mohammed Akhundzada in Summer 2005 then tootled off to her next posting in Iraq (before the shit-hit-the-fan in Helmand), losing that immediately by ordering all forces to withdraw to the airport, for her safety.

Everyone does know that, right? Fire Starter Rosalind Marsden did lose Afghanistan & Iraq for us.

Dame Rosalind Mary Marsden DCMG Demobilisation,_Disarmament_and_Reintegration_programme_in_Sud...jpg

Andy Farman

On ROPS
On ROPs
Reading on Forces net ,

SLR v SA80: Here’s What You Think Is The Best​

I knew even before reading the result, but its a discussion that will continue on for ever.

I agree the the final comment though
"As pointed out by a combat medic David Bates: “I was always taught that whatever the weapon, it is good musketry drills that make the difference on the battlefield.”
I recall a press junket to Pirbright Ranges where a housewife was put through her paces and otherwise average shots achieved Marksman for the first time. These soldiers had been trained on the SLR, gaining their marksmanship skills there. I was subsequently told that the level of training in that marksmanship was dumbed down as no longer necessary, however the SA80 was no magic rifle and the pass rate at the APWT shrank accordingly once the SLR was gone (?)

Additionally, let us not forget the uselessness of the thing in Gulf War 1. SLR's taken from rear echelon's and pushed up to the front. Alas the rear echelon 9mm had been largely sold off so the TA stocks were swifted away and more had to be purchased from abroad (the lowest bidder, naturally) and that was bought from India, only to be found substandard, towed into the North Sea on a barge, and sunk.
General Sir Michael 'Two Face' Jackson, Tony Blair's yes-guy, appeared on TV and explained that the stoppages were the men's fault, not the SA80. All that was required was for it to be stripped and cleaned each time.
"Under fire?" asked the interviewer.......

Zee Germans, charged a lot of dosh to make it fit for purpose, of course.

Says much for the capability of the general staff and MOD, of course

Alas the rear echelon 9mm had been largely sold off so the TA stocks were swifted away and more had to be purchased from abroad (the lowest bidder, naturally) and that was bought from India, only to be found substandard, towed into the North Sea on a barge, and sunk.
Incorrect.

There was a worldwide shortage of 9mm for a number of years. In the British Army ammunition is often constrained, in a case of low stock it would be constrained to where it was needed most e.g SF and SF support.

The indian shít ammo dit is somewhat a fable. We buy millions upon millions of rounds of ammunition from all over the world. Inevitably some of it falls below par. It’s just the way things are.

Erinon

Old-Salt
Oh god.

Good effort in attempting to switch the argument to "well rifles aren't that important anyway", but you've sucked me into yet another rehash of why SA80 isn't as sh!t as the denizens of the NAAFI think, so you're getting both barrels.

Please feel free to cut and paste from my posts in any of the other threads covering this in more detail, but here's a precis:

The L1A1 was old and knackered in 86, after thirty years' heavy use it fired a heavy round reasonably accurately and somewhat reliably, but the fleet was nearing the end of its usable life, and even base workshop refurbished rifles were less than reliable. Suffice it to say, L85A1 was not very soldier ready when it was initially issued, but by '88 there had been a number of modifications which made both the rifle and LSW battle-worthy. The A1 was actually pretty good once the mag didn't fall off and the plastic didn't melt / shatter, the A2 was excellent, and from what I've heard the A3 is more of the same. Right from the get-go, they were phenomenally accurate (comparatively), and increased the effective range of the infantryman. The SUSAT was excellent from day one, the ammunition was lighter and lethal, and the rifle was capable of automatic fire, negating the need for SMG (an excellent piece of kit but yesterday's gun even in the 80s) .

I loved using the SLR; the last time I fired one (about four years ago- a proper one, not a butchered UK legal civvy abortion (apologies @Simmerit )) it was like greeting an old friend. It was a cracking piece of kit for its day, and a joy to fire. But when I was in Sierra Leone in '01 and had the opportunity to have one as my personal weapon, I didn't even consider it; I took a Type 56 as my PW and kept a Lee Enfield in the wagon for anything over 200m (OT Claim to fame: AFAIK, I am the last serving British soldier to carry an SMLE on operations :cool: ) . That compromise was better in my judgement than carrying a not very accurate, heavy and cumbersome semi-auto long rifle which wasn't particularly suitable for anything other than large scale warfare.

I also enjoyed working on the SLR far more, there was more actual mechanical fitting rather than the modular part swapping which is all you can really do on the SA80 in all its variants. But guess which is easier to maintain, and requires far less maintenance? Similarly I enjoyed firing and fixing the L42 far more than the L96, but I knew which was the better rifle, and the same is true of L85 vs SLR.

In a long career listening to those with even longer careers, I've heard the same tedious arguments trucked out in relation to GPMG vs Vickers, GPMG vs Bren, and even SLR vs Lee Enfield: "This new fangled gun is tinny crap in comparison to the good old whatever! I remember back in nineteen tickety tick, etc". No doubt young redcoats back when Vicky was Boss were having to listen to the same tired tropes about the abandonment of the Brown Bess from long in the tooth old soldiers stirring their pint pots and harking back to the Peninsula.

It's a crock. In a tradition bound organisation like the Army (and even more so the infantry), it's not exactly surprising that Regiments who observe arcane rituals going back centuries aren't particularly accepting of new arrivals and tend to harp back to "the old days". But it isn't true, otherwise we'd still be forming square to repel Cavalry or Fuzzy Wuzzies. Time moves on, technology advances and old kit is replaced with new.

....And breathe.
Yes, but it's the SLR

Derrrr.

Everyone knows we lost Afghanistan (Helmand) when Rosalind Marsden sacked Sher Mohammed Akhundzada in Summer 2005 then tootled off to her next posting in Iraq (before the shit-hit-the-fan in Helmand), losing that immediately by ordering all forces to withdraw to the airport, for her safety.

Everyone does know that, right? Fire Starter Rosalind Marsden did lose Afghanistan & Iraq for us.

View attachment 590596
Who's the tranny in the middle?

Latest Threads