SLR v SA80 the results are in

Reading on Forces net ,

SLR v SA80: Here’s What You Think Is The Best​

I knew even before reading the result, but its a discussion that will continue on for ever.

I agree the the final comment though
"As pointed out by a combat medic David Bates: “I was always taught that whatever the weapon, it is good musketry drills that make the difference on the battlefield.”

I got to the point of someone from the RAF said ………, then realised it was one big joke.

Camm1

LE
This made me chuckle

"One of the most comprehensive answers came from Mark Emson, who served in the RAF and said he had used both weapons during his time, but never at a live target."

Read on. It gets better:-

"However, I found its length made it more naturally aimable than the SA80 if firing from the hip."

Jesus, Mary, Joseph and the wee donkey.

I got to the point of someone from the RAF said ………, then realised it was one big joke.
being an 1980s crab i can say it would have been more use as a club for me, 20 rounds a year iirc.
some wag said pira running amok in the uk late 80s did more for crab weapon skills than the previous 20 years

Slime

LE
None of the above, the real ultimate weapon is……………

ECEE73D2-F3A0-47FC-899C-F35E6DE3D193.jpeg

Slime

LE
What's that supposed to be, besides heavy?
Is that a pre first gen laser sight on the bottom?
(yes I know its make believe tv stuff)

The only sensible answer is what you put in brackets :)

As Lewis Collins was very used to military weapons I suspect he was a bit embarrassed to be seen with that creation :)

DaManBugs

LE
Book Reviewer
The only real drawback to the SLR, in my opinion, is that the front and rear sights were mounted on different parts of the rifle, thus necessitating re-zeroeing after every cleaning - which sort of defeats the object of cleaning in the first place.

In my estimation, the real difference lies in the designations themselves: L1-A1 against L85-A3. Meaning that there was no necessity to "improve" the SLR throughout its service life, whereas the L85 is now on its third iteration.

MsG

Exmarine

War Hero
Pointless arguing which weapon is best when one was ahead of its time the SLR and the newest the SA80 was behind. The SA80 of today, more like the SA2015, is very expensive considering how long it took to get to this stage in rebuilds but is preferable in my opinion to the SLR TODAY having used both. That said the SLR is far superior for its generation whereas the SA is a Turkey which should never have been accepted (the SASC lost all my respect when they played politics and sold the party line to us about how good it was, in particular the LSW which replaced the GPMG for gods sake, they should have told the government to ram it.) The SLR should have been replaced and there were great weapons that could have been purchased off the shelf at minimal cost compared to the biff SA80. Who on earth issues a rifle which takes a couple of wars to stimulate improving it and a LMG which which is recommended to fire rapid single shot and not automatic fire.

Pointless arguing which weapon is best when one was ahead of its time the SLR and the newest the SA80 was behind. The SA80 of today, more like the SA2015, is very expensive considering how long it took to get to this stage in rebuilds but is preferable in my opinion to the SLR TODAY having used both. That said the SLR is far superior for its generation whereas the SA is a Turkey which should never have been accepted (the SASC lost all my respect when they played politics and sold the party line to us about how good it was, in particular the LSW which replaced the GPMG for gods sake, they should have told the government to ram it.) The SLR should have been replaced and there were great weapons that could have been purchased off the shelf at minimal cost compared to the biff SA80. Who on earth issues a rifle which takes a couple of wars to stimulate improving it and a LMG which which is recommended to fire rapid single shot and not automatic fire.
The problem with comparisons is the armourers mafia will be along shortly to tell you its hands down the SA-80. But ignore the fact, that war isn't a day on the ranges and a Battalion equipped with the full panoply of war from say 1982, could still put down enormous firepower and easily match any battalion from today in a toe to toe slog in any other battlespace, other than FIBUA.

Who on earth issues a rifle which takes a couple of wars to stimulate improving it and a LMG which which is recommended to fire rapid single shot and not automatic fire.
The UK. With the Lee Enfield rifle and the Bren.

Mölders 1

War Hero
I should add the SLR was sold all over the world and the SA80 they could not give it away. Case rested M`lud.
At least 60 Countries used the FN FAL or one of it's variants back in the day l believe.

Rumour has it that the Viet Cong were more afraid of Australian Troops armed with their FN FAL Rifles than the were of the Americans and their M-16s.

At least 60 Countries used the FN FAL or one of it's variants back in the day l believe.

Rumour has it that the Viet Cong were more afraid of Australian Troops armed with their FN FAL Rifles than the were of the Americans and their M-16s.

It appears there are a lot of rumours about the SLR, but few facts.

Having used both, I’d take the L85 everytime in any situation.

Latest Threads