SLR identification

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by stoatman, Dec 8, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. A Finnish chap on another forum has a bit of an interesting SLR ...

The upside-down, new serial numbers would indicate production in Australia at Lithgow in 1971. However, the different, older serial number on the lower is a bit of a mystery.

What is also a mystery is the“A” marking on the selector, which would indicate either an L2 lower, or a lower converted from one of the FAL trials rifles.

Any ideas, chaps?

The "definitive" summary of Enfield serial numbers is here: http://www.enfieldcollector.com/serials.html make sure you pack your anorak :)

Attached Files:

2. Other side of the rifle

Attached Files:

3. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

It is odd, an auto lower, the serial number looks like PF 1479 and poorly stamped!

4. I think the "A" mark was common to many/most of the L1A1 rifles (British and Australian) - I certainly remember it being on several of the issue L1A1s I had. It was probably left there as a "just in case we decide to use it" or as a production economy if they were contemplating export sales.

The PF1479 number doesn't look like a production rifle serial number - it has the look of either (a) a factory major modification code (eg maybe Lithgow had a refurb programme or modified a component), or (b) the rifle is one of those sold to India/Pakistan and has picked up an Indian batch or inspection code ("PF" itself has been used as a serial number prefix by Pakistan on, for example, domestic-built No4 rifles). Its also possible the lower is one of the many British L1A1 patterns provided to Lithgow to help start production - which might explain why it appears to be an older number than the Lithgow one.

5. The only serial number that looks factory done is the Lower Reciever AD number.

What I can see of the Butt looks to be the fatter more sturdy Aussie butt.

The trigger mech housing rivit looks loose and the upper ejector pin is either loose or coming loose.

6. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

I never thought of Aussies in that way before.

7. Swoooooooooooooons...wooden furniture on an SLR.....think I may be getting a stiffie :D

8. its deffo an Aussie Lithgow SLR,
    all aussie SLRs had the 'a' for auto position but with a 'legged' selector so it wouldnt swivel round to auto and missing the deeper cutout found on the automatic selectors
    spotters note - on aussie SLRs the return plunger behind the trigger was made slightly longer so even if a smart cookie took out the selector (or replaced it with a L2 selector) the trigger wouldnt come back far enough to go rat-a-tat-tat (sticking a bit of matchstick under the disconector worked fine though :wink: )

i dunno what the extra serial number on left rear of lower is, a few NZ SLRs had this aswell.

THE extra serial number to look for on an ex-NZ army SLR is a 3 digit number stamped on the mag well forward left of the lower, this is the NZ vietnam mark, only 400 (Nos 100-500) NZ SLRs went to vietnam,
    i used to have a vietnam marked ex-nz army slr, wish i had kept hold of it.

9. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

We used Oz SLRs in the Royal Hong Kong Regiment (The Volunteers). I can't say that I was aware that they were any different from UK ones. Certainly from a users point of view they were the same beast. As far as I'm aware the Regt Assoc's shooting club still uses them at its range on Route TWISK. If you are in HK and want a blat I expect it could be arranged.

We also had Belguim GPMGs again there was no difference as far as I could tell.