SLR gas plug : what was the rust remover fluid we used in training?

PaulinBont

Clanker
In training 1977 we were using a rust removing fluid to clean the gas plug as the bronze wire brush was pants on it's own. I remember we had to do this on the quiet or the Training Staff would invite us to go for a gentle jog around the square/ranges/countryside with the SLR held aloft if they spotted us using it.

For the life of me I can't remember what this stuff was called, it must have been quite common as we all had a small bottle of it purchased down town in the local ironmongers

I used Flick, a reddish rust remover / penetrating oil. Stank to high heaven though.

In training 1977 we were using a rust removing fluid to clean the gas plug as the bronze wire brush was pants on it's own. I remember we had to do this on the quiet or the Training Staff would invite us to go for a gentle jog around the square/ranges/countryside with the SLR held aloft if they spotted us using it.

For the life of me I can't remember what this stuff was called, it must have been quite common as we all had a small bottle of it purchased down town in the local ironmongers
Vinegar

Rust on your gat! Tut tut.

The worst that should happen is after a week in the field, a few tiny spots may form around the tip of the flash hider where the metal tends to get exposed in the flash hider gaps because of cleaning removing the black coating.

If it's in the gas chamber, you aren't looking after it right.

PaulinBont

Clanker
If my memory serves me right maybe it was carbon deposit we were trying to remove and not rust?
All I do remember is that anything less than a shiny gas plug meant a less than memorable half hour

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
No idea, I never had any rust on my gas plug!

Swan Vesta matches. The red one's worked better than the Bryant and May brown ones.

No idea, I never had any rust on my gas plug!
Neither did I, but high chrome steel tends not to rust even if you keep your gas plug up your rikker. Flick or fospro was good as it dissolved the powder residues after the annual QM's benefit rounds to brass range day. In the cold war we had a lot of rounds to use up.

Swan Vesta matches. The red one's worked better than the Bryant and May brown ones.
That is a blast from the past ... used that technique in the early 60's ... also if my fading memory is correct used around the firing pin .

Rubbing in a handful of sand was good for gas plugs and the end of the gas rod of the SLR. Don't know what the long term effect was on the chrome, probably not good. Fancy fluids were banned in case they were corrosive.

rugbyguns

Clanker
Jenolite fluid was used util H&S made it unsafe so came back as Jenolte Jelly, excellent for stubborn carbon also has NSN 6850 99 220 1684 also comes as Hammerite Rust Remover Gel. Don't leave it on to long or get on skin or clothing !

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P REME 3
P RLC 35
TheAssassin Weapons, Equipment & Rations 42

Latest Threads