Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

SLR - “Right Arm of the Free World” ?

The AR-10 must have been quite the Sci-Fi weapon of the future when it was initially released!

The prototype & initial production AR-10 was very light, but by the time it had been modified in line with experience and feedback it weighed basically the same as a FAL; loaded with 20 rounds, 4.82 versus 4.98 kg respectively. And the FAL could squeeze down to 4.85 with an alloy mag.

And a bullpup design, with a magazine behind the pistol grip.
So the combination of those three weapons should have made it a worldbeater.

2zeltadfsgmhgfhdgsfg_2387-copy.jpg
AVN1-Z-F2-L.jpg

1920px-British_Assault_Rifles_MOD_45162602.jpg

My take on it is that the EM 2 was really copied from early WW2 era technology it was nothing new, by the time it was briefly issued it was obsolete in many ways, especially it's laborious construction bored and milled from solid, which was long obsolete in terms of German technology. The EM 1 ( Thorpe ) was more advanced than the 2 by copying later war technology in the Mauser roller locking system but was ridiculously over complicated, if they had simplified it maybe it could have been a better option than the EM2, certainly cheaper to manufacture. But the Germans were already way ahead of the EM2 even in 1940 with such weapons as the FG42 and this stamped Knorr Bremse prototype which makes the EM2 look from the stone age.

View attachment 524978

Both the US trailed and rejected a bullpup Garand and the Soviets a bullpup AK style design ( koborov ) so even the bullpub format of the EM2 was not unique.

Ironically on Syria, particularly Idlib, bullpup AK/RPK are now common and sought after. Some better than others....
(They also rebuild old Mosins and use them for almost all their snipers)
Pics nicked from here; https://twitter.com/CalibreObscura?s=09

Attachments

• 20210124_101904.jpg
    20210124_101904.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 38
  • 20210124_101831.jpg
    20210124_101831.jpg
    210.5 KB · Views: 38
  • 20210124_101501.jpg
    20210124_101501.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 38
Ironically on Syria, particularly Idlib, bullpup AK/RPK are now common and sought after. Some better than others....
(They also rebuild old Mosins and use them for almost all their snipers)
Pics nicked from here; https://twitter.com/CalibreObscura?s=09
The last photo looks like a bullpup kit you could buy for your AK in the USA. It was fecking useless.bthe trigger was connected by a Bowden cable and was atrocious

Sent from my Lenovo TB-X606F using Tapatalk

I have played cribbage with an SLR butt. EX-REME made it. It leads to the question - what did they do with the wooden furniture when they were replaced with plastic?
We made cribbage boards, pen holders and desk lamps out of them. My first posting was Depot Queens Div Bassingbourn as a young armourer, there was still an MFO box full of wooden butts there when I left, and I'd been supplementing my wages with various SLR related shiny tat for two years along with the other armourers.

To me the 5.56 round is a round for hunting vermin. Sure it has it's military and Police applications but I've always felt that on the battlefield it is outgunned by the 7.62x39 round.

I've always thought that the 6.5 Grendel would be an ideal round for a military replacement round. It's a flat shooting round and it's a very accurate round out to a thousand yards. I've read about and watched videos of guys shooting out to 1500 yards with it and doing so very successfully.

My Grendel has two barrels, one I use for competition shooting and one I use for my downtime shooting at paper. With my 19" heavy comp barrel and with a wind at whatever it is that day, I can produce a what I consider a fair group and I'm no sniper by any long shot.

With my chrome lined barrel the groups weren't as tight but I was still consistently putting rounds on target. It's aslo not a large round so there is the possibility of being able to carry more ammuntion. I think it would make a great light support weapon as well.