Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SLR - “Right Arm of the Free World” ?

I think US Special Operations Forces have been using the SCAR for some time and don't like it much.

I saw a Youtube about the procurement process, and it seemed that it was quite popular.
But, as we both know, it's the opinion of the blokes at the sharp end that counts.
I stand corrected.

Awol

LE
AEC2FF87-EB54-4A9C-89E0-4995D17750EA.jpeg

No reason for posting this.

I just wanted to.

I saw a Youtube about the procurement process, and it seemed that it was quite popular.
But, as we both know, it's the opinion of the blokes at the sharp end that counts.......
I stand corrected.
My Bold....Which wasn't heeded when the first batch of the new SA80's were given to the Gurkha based at Crowbourough to field test, who all to a man said they were " Shit" Consequently the SA80 Mk1 were issued, and then recalled for £50,000,000 worth of upgrades, and to date no CS or VSO in MOD has been held accountable for gross ineptitude, mismanagement, or plain bloody mindedness...... Note:- At the time several MP,s and senior Civil servants had shares in Heckler & Koch....allegedly.

Last edited:

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
My Bold....Which wasn't heeded when the first batch of the new SA80's were given to the Gurkha based at crowbourough to test, who all to a man said they were " Shit" Consequently the SA80 Mk1 were issued, and then recalled for £50,000,000 worth of upgrades, and to date no CS or VSO in MOD has been held accountable for gross ineptitude, mismanagement, or plain bloody mindedness...... Note:- At the time several MP,s and senior Civil servants had majority shares in Heckler & Koch....allegedly.
Proof?

NO links, it what i heard from my mates who were still serving, and My old OC who i kept in touch with for many years after my discharge in 1981. There were some articles in the MSM about it, but it was suppressed.

Late edit to add:- Google...... SA80 rifle scandal,........ scroll down and read...all will be revealed.

Last edited:

4(T)

LE
Who designs a rifle where the foresight and rearsight are on two parts, joined by a shitty little hinge thingy?

Break the rifle to clean it, and, unless it is a new weapon, your zero is dodgy to say the least.

Not really an issue, more of a soldier story.

Even if you had a really loose latch fit overdue replacement, you'd still only have less than 0.5mm potential movement over a c.500mm sight radius. Thats 0.1mil, or approximately 1cm at 100m. Thats not going to be noticed by anyone, given the accuracy of the rifle, its ammo and, of course, the shooter.

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
NO links, it what i heard from my mates who were still serving, and My old OC who i kept in touch with for many years after my discharge in 1981. There were some articles in the MSM about it, but it was suppressed.
So, no proof then ;-)

Not really an issue, more of a soldier story.

Even if you had a really loose latch fit overdue replacement, you'd still only have less than 0.5mm potential movement over a c.500mm sight radius. Thats 0.1mil, or approximately 1cm at 100m. Thats not going to be noticed by anyone, given the accuracy of the rifle, its ammo and, of course, the shooter.
I won't get into arguing numbers of mils, millimetres or whatever, the point I was trying to make was that there were a few design flaws in 'THAT RIFLE'.

I wore out three SLRs in my shooting team career - one issue we came across was a fatigue failure in the bolt. If you look at the extractor assembly, there is a sharp cut in which proved to be a stress raiser. We suffered a few failures (always at the worst possible times i.e. in the middle of a Bisley shoot - sods law being what it is).

One of our team members was a non-destructive tester at RAE. He tested all of our team rifles and found 6 out of 20 with cracks in the extractor assembly which would have failed sooner rather than later.

Having said all of that, I would have been quite happy going into battle with THAT RIFLE, provided it had a long butt and was not too old or shot out. I would be more concerned about the state of the magazine lips - stoppages in contact would not be good news.

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
Who designs a rifle where the foresight and rearsight are on two parts, joined by a shitty little hinge thingy?

Break the rifle to clean it, and, unless it is a new weapon, your zero is dodgy to say the least.

It was good in that it kept going bang, the baddies at the other end went down and didn't get up, but it had some fundamental flaws - and yes - I still loved the thing.
Yes but you can mount a scope on the wobbly dust cover .

964ST

Old-Salt
I disappeared off the system in 95 on loan service and reappeared in 98, and some fücker changed everything, I had to do a Weapon Handling test on a weapon I had never seen. Yep the SA 80, But same drills, almost!!?!!

I have never heard it called that, as you say that sounds like an Americanism, probably thought up by some journalist.
It was, and always will be 'My SLR.'View attachment 524886

I called mine Gat. Gat worked perfectly either on Horseguards or training to destroy the 3rd Shock Army. Then I got given an SA80. I didn't call it anything.

My take on it is that the EM 2 was really copied from early WW2 era technology it was nothing new, by the time it was briefly issued it was obsolete in many ways, especially it's laborious construction bored and milled from solid, which was long obsolete in terms of German technology. The EM 1 ( Thorpe ) was more advanced than the 2 by copying later war technology in the Mauser roller locking system but was ridiculously over complicated, if they had simplified it maybe it could have been a better option than the EM2, certainly cheaper to manufacture. But the Germans were already way ahead of the EM2 even in 1940 with such weapons as the FG42 and this stamped Knorr Bremse prototype which makes the EM2 look from the stone age.

tumblr_nhdkypfOzo1s57vgxo2_1280.jpg

Both the US trailed and rejected a bullpup Garand and the Soviets a bullpup AK style design ( koborov ) so even the bullpub format of the EM2 was not unique.

Last edited:

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
The EM 2 was really copied from early WW2 era technology it was nothing new, by the time it was briefly issued it was obsolete in many ways, especially it's laborious construction bored and milled from solid, which was long obsolete in terms of German technology. The EM 1 ( Thorpe ) was more advanced than the 2 by copying later war technology in the Mauser roller locking system but was ridiculously over complicated, if they had simplified it maybe it could have been a better option than the EM2, certainly cheaper to manufacture. But the Germans were already way ahead of the EM2 even in 1940 with such weapons as the FG42 and this stamped Knorr Bremse prototype which makes the EM2 look from the stone age.

View attachment 524978

Both the US trailed and rejected a bullpup Garand and the Soviets a bullpup AK style design ( koborov ) so even the bullpub format of the EM2 was not unique.
Unless it's a ray gun, all firearms are derivative in some way.

What we really need is this bullpup:

1606724762643.png

Latest Threads