Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SLR - “Right Arm of the Free World” ?

longtimeout

War Hero
Apologies in advance for reopening the floodgates of misty eyed memories of “that rifle”.

I’ve repeatedly heard the SLR/FAL referred to on American media channels as “The Right Arm of the Free World”.

I’ve always assumed this was one of those “universal” namings out of the US, as it doesn’t really seem to fit the attitude of British (or Commonwealth in my case) militaries. In my experience most things that refer to Freedom have their origins in the US, but I stand to be corrected.

Is it a “title” bestowed by a Soldier of Fortune or similar writer, or was it genuinely known by that moniker by anyone who used it?

LTO

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
Ak47 is cheaper, more available and less tempremental.

Nope, never heard it called that.

Loved it though!

I have never heard it called that, as you say that sounds like an Americanism, probably thought up by some journalist.
It was, and always will be 'My SLR.'
thumbnail (2).jpg

Shame Eugene Stoner wasnt on the design team ,it wouldn't be so expensive to make and may still be in service today in a lighter and more precise form.

I believe gun jesus used that term at one point during a vid and his fan bois might have picked up on it. Not a common saying at all here.

No direct knowledge of successive weapons, but is the FN SCAR a related descendant of the SLR in any way? (ie, the original FN)

longtimeout

War Hero
Shame Eugene Stoner wasnt on the design team ,it wouldn't be so expensive to make and may still be in service today in a lighter and more precise form.
My initial reaction to that was different eras, different technologies - then I saw that the FAL and the AR-10 were pretty much developed at exactly the same time.

The AR-10 must have been quite the Sci-Fi weapon of the future when it was initially released!

4(T)

LE
IIRC that term has been around for decades, and is of US origin.

I think it came into vogue back in the pre-AR 1960s, when the US had the M14 and the FAL was indeed the most widely-sold non-Soviet rifle.

I believe that, in terms of rifles actually bought rather than received as military aid (ie AKs, M1s, M16s), its still by far the most widely-purchased rifle - c.90 countries bought it.

4(T)

LE
My initial reaction to that was different eras, different technologies - then I saw that the FAL and the AR-10 were pretty much developed at exactly the same time.

The AR-10 must have been quite the Sci-Fi weapon of the future when it was initially released!

AR-10 was more than ten years after the prototype FAL.

In the real world, the AR10 really went nowhere, whilst the FAL sold in very large numbers.

If you want to look at a sci-fi weapon of the future, the British EM2 was way ahead of it's time, developed in 1950
visser-059-Copy_s.jpg
or 51 by Enfield.

Wasn’t it more about the change in caliber where the Americans decided what they wanted and the rest of us just adopted it without any fuss?

A new caliber needed a new weapon and someone fancied the bull pup route and here we are?

I think the fact that MOD went back to it 30 years later, and the other weapons it influenced means it must have had some revolutionary qualities.

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
I have never heard it called that, as you say that sounds like an Americanism, probably thought up by some journalist.
It was, and always will be 'My SLR.'View attachment 524886

Mine was Sid the SLR on the few occasions I had one.
Then there was Gary the gimpy
Larry the LMG.

And "sodding SMG"

Contrary to the belief that the SLR was forged by the war god Woden it was in fact designed and built by a bunch of Belgians who looked like Hercule Poirot.

Pulls pin, dives in trench

Latest Threads