Slow internet - fast last week, slow as hell this week!

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by MAD_FERRET, May 12, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Morning All

After a bit of advice - my laptop was whizzing along on the internet quite merrily last week, no problems at all. Now, when l go to open up on explorer (or any other website) its practically dial up speed, if it opens at all! You tube etc is a no go, unless l wait 10 mins for a 10 second clip to download.

The laptop is a HP, running windows 7, Avast AV, Malwarebytes. It has ran faultlessly with this configuration for 6 months with no problems till now.

I know its the laptop and not my connection as the Frau's laptop is next to me and is running rings round mine. Ive updated everything, deleted all history, scanned etc.... l'm at a loss as to what is slowing it down.

Any whizz kids out there that know how to resolve the problem?

2. Deutsch Telekom - the modems a wireless speedport W 503V

Like l said though, it was all fine last week, l think its a setting thats gone astray on my laptop as my wifes (that lm using to reply on) is rapido!

3. Do a system restore to when it was last running well??

4. msr

msr LE

What happens when you cable the laptop to the router?

5. Transmission power

Is your laptop running in a “power saving” mode? This may decrease the (built in wireless) adapter's range and signal strength.

Theft

Have you got a secure network? Naughty neighbours may be piggybacking and using your bandwidth.

Update

Is the laptop the same as Frau Ferrets? If not check the makers of your laptops website and see if there are any driver and firmware updates for the wireless card.

6. 1. What advice was that?
    2. What was your problem before that advice?
    3. BB advice is good (this time) try it.
    4. Atre_et_marte is climbing up the wrong tree IMO. Unless it really is the wireless connection, which I doubt.

7. Many thanks for your replies do far -

Art Et Marte - My laptop is plugged in and not on power save, and my network is secure. The laptop is different to Frau Ferrets, and l have done updated all progs and drivers AFTER the problem to see if it helped. It didnt.

All l Want - My openeing comment is my northern take - what it should read is 'l am after some advice...' I had not previously reacted to someone telling me about a setting l should try...

As for system restore, tried that as well, but alas no!

I honestly believe its some setting on my laptop that l have either inadvertenly altered or ????????????????????

8. are you both using wireless?

Just so we can get this out of the equation?

9. Yes, both on wireless, both ran perfectly until this week - now the Fraus is fine, and mines webbo!

10. Funnily enough I'm running Windows 7 with Avast AV too; in the past week I've been having a right mare. To the point at which (because steam half updated itself prior to the problem) I can't finish off downloading steam & none of my posh new games will work until it's done....

11. As I said I do not think it is anything to do with your home network, more to do with your settings or what your comp is using via the tinternet.
    Wish I could log in remotely, would be lots easier.
    Did you install or change anything since this started happenning?

12. msr

msr LE

What happens if you cable the laptop to the router?

msr

13. msr

msr LE

Turn avast off temporarily and see if that cures the problem.

msr