Slow cooker recipies

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by ti83, Aug 21, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Does anyone have any good recipies for the slow cooker? I've just bought one and would like to do stews and curries in it. Or any thing really, it was a spur of the moment thing.

2. blue-sophist

blue-sophist LE Good Egg (charities)

You have purchased an excellent piece of kitchen equipment.

Did it not come with a few recipes in the instruction manual?
    Do you ever purchase cookery books? :wink:
    LET AMAZON BE YOUR FRIEND

Essentially, any casserole recipe will work. The only essentials are to pre-fry/brown the meat and add hot liquids when transferring to the slow cooker.

• Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Spicy Hungarian Goulash

Buy steweing steak/beef (about a kilo)
    Flash fry cubes of it so they are browned all over
    Put 1 large chopped onion, a tin of plum tomatoes, chopped red pepper, handful of chopped mushrooms, and about pint of beef stock (enough to cover the mixture) in your cooker.

Add about 4 heaped teaspoonss paprika, and very importantly, 2 to three teaspoons of carraway seeds. These are essential to authentic goulash. If you like your goulash spicy add either chilli powder or puree chill too. Add some tomato puree to thicken.

Cook for about 3-4 hours (or even longer for really tender beef). Once the beef is very tender (it should flake almost), you can thicken if you want.

Serve with either tagliatelle pasta (flat noodles), rice, or jacket potato and then pour natural yoghurt on top. Some people add this at the end in the pot but it will curdle (there is a complicated way to avoid this, but keep it simple).

Please let me know how you go.

4. I had a look on Amazon and reviews were very varied of the slow cooking books. There is of course loads on the net. However what I'm after is along the lines of what someone here has cooked in the slow cooker which has worked well.

5. Braising steak, browned (or not, doesn't really matter)
    EDIT: ONIONS! How could I forget that?
    Chunky veg (carrots, broccoli, potatoes, whatever you like)
    Worcester Sauce to taste
    Black pepper
    Beef Oxo Cubes

Heat in a big pan until almost boiling, then transfer to the slow cooker.

I always ended up with 80% veg in mine when I was at uni because I was too stingy to add more meat, but was a great meal all the same. Some of my housemates experimented with chicken breasts, sweetcorn and 'sauce' (e.g. like chicken or mushroom soup), that turned out well according to them too.

Basically if you see something you fancy, chuck it in.

6. a good recipe for pheasant .... involves most of a bottle of red wine, peppercorns, juniper berries, whole shallots and carrots...can't tell you exact quantities as I've nver measured them!! Lid on......walk in the rain and mud for several hours....couple of glasses of something.....bingo...dinner

7. blue-sophist

Please forgive my earlier sarcasm ... I'm having one of those days! :wink:

Regrettably I cook rather like blueygirl and graa ... whatever comes to hand/mind at the time. I doubt any of my recipes come out the same the next time! The solution is to master the basic principles and then let your taste-buds [and the contents of your spice cupboard, miscellaneous sauce bottles and stuff] do the talking.

A couple of thoughts ...

Red wine can make sauces a bit muddy ... white is often a better choice, and IMO essential where lighter meats are concerned. I NEVER put red in a "Spag Bol"/Ragu, for example, despite the presence of minced beef and chopped chicken livers ... [hint].

I use ginger wine [Stones, or supermarket own brand] to add a different twist, especially with pork. A tablespoon or two when using a pork stock cube, for example.

Currently have a play with adding a tbsp or 2 of Reggae Reggae sauce [that one from the Dragons' Den] to stock-pots and other sauces. It's quite cheap [£1.30 ?], and you don't need large amounts [taste as you go].

And none of you peasants have added a skip-load of health-giving garlic, coarsely chopped and only added when the onions have almost softened, so that it doesn't burn.

8. blue-sophist

A Hungarian friend of our invited us to 'enjoy' his genuine Hungarian Goulash once ... it was basically a bowl of boiled meat and potatoes in red water served with a side helping of sliced dills.

The authentic original recipe, I'm sure ... simple peasant food. God, it was dreadful!

9. One I do is a Turkey Leg Drum stick. Marinade in a curry sauce marinade for 8 house

Pop in to slow cooker with Onions, Garlic and chilli leave for 6 hours to cook

Lovely and tender and the meat falls off the bone literally

Plus with the Credit Crunch gripping us Turkey Leg Drum Sticks are no more than £2 from Tesco in their value range

They might be even less all you have to get is the veg and marinade

10. "Regretably" Blue?...... 8O ......... :D know exactly what you mean....I've spent so many years watching other people cooking and then trying stuff at home that I tend to cook by instinct....not really helpful to people who are looking for recipes. :roll:

As a thought...if you can't find a decent slow cooker recipe book, a good substitute is one for Agas/Rayburns. In my experience, if a recipe will work in the slow oven of an Aga it wil work in a slow cooker. The guru/goddess of Aga cookery is Mary Berry who has been collating recipe books forever (well almost!)

11. blue-sophist

I quite like the sound of that idea ... is that a bottled curry marinade?
    Is that then virtually dry-roasted in the Slow-Cooker?
    Or do you use the [whole bottle?] of marinade?

Presumably a BBQ version would work too.

12. Slow-cooked balsamic beef

ingredients
    • 1 small onion, peeled and diced
    • 1 stick of celery, trimmed and diced
    • 1 carrot, peeled and diced
    • 200g button mushrooms, washed and sliced
    • light olive oil or vegetable oil
    • 500g stewing beef (chuck steak), diced into 1-inch pieces
    • salt and freshly ground black pepper
    • 1 tablespoon plain flour
    • 1 teaspoon tomato puree
    • half a clove of garlic, peeled and crushed
    • 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
    • 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
    • 400ml water
    • 1 x 400g tin of plum tomatoes

Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/gas 6. In a large ovenproof pan, on a medium heat, fry the onion, celery, carrot and mushrooms in a little olive oil for 10 minutes.
    Add the beef to the pan, season with a little salt and pepper and fry for a further 10 minutes. Sprinkle with the flour and stir together. Then add the tomato puree and the crushed garlic and stir again.

Add the balsamic vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, water and tinned tomatoes and stir until everything is combined. Cover with a tight fitting lid or a couple of layers of foil and place in the oven for 1½ to 2 hours (or until the meat is tender).

Serve with creamy mashed potato and a mixed leaf salad or vegetables of your choice.

13. Now there's interesting. I'll give that a try. Ta.

14. Gordies Heed an Arsch Supper.

Ingredients;

1. One Gordy Heed freshly taken away.

2. Tatties.

3. Neeps.

4. Napalm.

5. Chef's outfit fa the Muppets.

6. British nation.

Na tak tha heed and Brown it awa wi tha populussch eeting the tatties and neeps outa recycle bin ya bam. Fines fa the chuck away awal.

Add the pam an cook tha Broon to Kinnockio.