Slough - There are worse places on earth!

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by RP578, Jan 31, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

As a proud Sluffite, I've had to watch the place of my birth besmirched on these boards (as well as everywhere else in the UK). Now however it appears we're better than Scranton, Pennsylvania! Bizarrely enough, I have actually lived in Scranton too and I wouldn't have drawn the same conclusion. But hey, who am I to doubt the Guardian?

I always knew we were grrrreat!!

2. So this isn't the latest slogan of the Slough tourist board, then?
  3. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

"Slough - not as bad as Scranton!"
  4. the only reason i ever went to slough was for a subway sandwhich, and thats it,
    did see a really fit bird there though,
  5. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

Born and raised in Slough. Grew up. Moved out. Life and the fates took me all over the world from Guatemala to Nepal and fair few notches in between including living in the US for about five years, four of which were in Pennsylvania.

All these years later, I'm back where I started (well a few miles up the road, but still Sluffite to the core!)
  6. Slough , A big dump in the true sense of the word along with High Wycombe .
  7. The thread title; Slough - There are worse places on earth! indicates that there is more than one place worse than Slough.

The example given is that of Scranton in the USA, and, as we all know that most Yanks live in their own little world, I would say that this example doesn't count.
  8. Betjeman wasn't scathing enough:

If it was dreadful when he wrote it it's an utter shitehole now. Its only redeeming feature is the ease with which you can escape from it and get back on the safe side of the A34.
  9. No there's not.
  10. I reakon Luton must be just of bad , If not worse.
  12. Croydon seems to be winning by a mile! :lol:
  13. Born and bred in Slough, moved away in the 70s.
    Apparently the estate I grew up on, is now, a no go area.

There are worse places than Slough though, just dont ask me to name them.
    I've come to the conclusion that most of the country is becoming a tip, run by a Government, who's sole objective is to disenfranchise the indigenous population.

14. I was gonna move to Slough :( :lol: .