Slip Roads

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by chemystery, May 12, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. RANT ON:-

Is it me or is the whole purpose of a slip road to build up speed before you join the motorway or has that changed recently?

I'm fcuking fed up to my saggy man breasts of people that wait within the first metre to be allowed on to the main carriageway, thus causing a huge tailback behind them.

Why cant these muppets realise that if the carried on down the slip road they'd stand a better chance of being allowed to join the carriageway and this would get rid of some of the build up of traffice behind them.

And what is it with rubber neckers.......

RANT OFF:-
  2. As far as I'm aware, slips roads do not give you an automatic entitlement to build up speed prior to joining the motorway. If some jack bastard won't let you out, then there's nothing that can be done.
  3. Rubber neckers are a PITA and should be shot!

Old people and Sunday drivers who insist on joining motorways at 40 mph and then remaining at said 40 mph should also be subjected to some form of dry anal re-education.

Good example of rubbernecker education (so the story went at the time) was bestowed upon the ghoulish audience by a Met / BTP copper some years back who got pi55ed off at everyone poking their heads over the cordon to see what happened to the LU suicide track jumper.

So he obliged and whipped off the blanket to reveal 1 x headless corpse. Several buckets of vomit and collapsing rubberneckers later, he was invited for a chat with his guvnor without tea and biccies and received a severe a pat on the back!
  4. I don't know if this is true or not but even if it were the case it would make more sense to wait at the far end of the slip road than the begining so that more people have a chance to join.
  5. What! is there a good accident somewhere, blood!! show me, show me.

6. These days he'd probably have been 'let go' and have to mown the lawns of all rubberneckers for a year or something like that.

Personally, i think it's a case of good drills.
  7. I always make sure that my car is doing ohhhh 15mpg and about 85mph as it enters the motorway! :D
  8. Have you got a bumber sticker that says 'My other car is Concorde'? :D
  9. People are amazing. After an accident caused by someone falling asleep at the wheel, trying to extract Mrs Burpa from an overturned car while treating her serious head injuries, I looked up to see a mother and two children gawping down.

At this point she produced a camera and started taking pictures.

Naturally there are several things I regret about the incident; killing this woman pretty much high on the list.
  10. Its just another example of how driving standards are slipping generally,
    how many motorists employ the correct drills on roundabouts these days? some are used so badly as to be innefective at sifting traffic smoothly onto different(intersecting) routes. Which appears to be why a number of them have had to have traffic lights fitted, so they are virtualy returned to be the slow flowing crossroads the roundabouts supposedly replace.
    It makes me wonder what kind of drivers the instructors are producing.
    CLUE: a few of times recently I have had to give way to driving school cars when trying to pass stationary veh's. not a problem,right of way,ego under control, courtesy etc,etc. but not only did the driver not acknowledge this, the "instuctors" don't either. Are they not supposed to teach people how to behave on the road, as well as how to control the vehicle?
    Better stop. Can feel the soap box coming out!
  11. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

You should try coming off the Bangor-Belfast A2 road onto the Westlink.That junction/slip road if f*cking scary!!!
  12. Is it one of those ones where you have to become a fully trained Jedi in order to use the force to help get through it.
  13. Sometimes though, vehicles can't move out into the next lane because there's traffic overtaking them, however, not always the case - hense the thread.

Must admit, have experienced this a lot lately. I'm looking into my right mirror to watch the traffic let me filter out as I speed up, only to find some muppet stopped - yep - get the rant chemystery.

And here's the 50-50 Question - What sex are they usually ?? yep you got it in one.

BT. :D
  14. blue-sophist

blue-sophist LE Good Egg (charities)

For serious grief, try American ones.

The slip "On" is about 200 metres before the slip "Off" in what we would call the hard shoulder. The 60mph juggling act can get the blood-pressure and Mrs B_S's scream factor going quite high :)
  15. Same in Germany, easy enough to use.

Not so keen on the savage turns on the slip off though!!! Keeps the speed down though.