Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Slim's Company - Leadership Development Course

Hi there,

I recently attended my Main Board at the end of September, I received the LDC offer or to wait for the next MB intake (expected to be over a year due to Covid and delays, so September 2021 at the earliest). I ended up taking the LDC offer, however, I haven't managed to find any real concrete structure to the course or what to expect. I found the old Rowallan thread but the Slim's company seems very different in its nature.

Regarding my results from MB my CSM didn't have much to say, the paragraph of feedback from Westbury basically said I was adequate across the board and above the required standard of fitness. That all being said, I really did enjoy my time there, and hopefully I'll correct any issues so that I can attend the next CC.

I'd appreciate any information from someone who has previously attended the course, in terms of what to expect and any other feedback.

Thanks for any help.

LDC is just under a full term at RMAS (it is less than 14 weeks long, closer to 10)

The staff will look at your AOSB Report and discuss with you which areas you should focus on to develop.

The course covers all sorts of training to aid you in your leadership development.

At the end of the course you may or may not be successful. If successful you then go into the next Junior Term.

Those who have done the LDC and gone onto the Regular Commissioning Course have said it prepared them well and was a good experience both for personal development and as a pre-Sandhurst/RegCC course.

Best of luck!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

LDC is just under a full term at RMAS (it is less than 14 weeks long, closer to 10)

The staff will look at your AOSB Report and discuss with you which areas you should focus on to develop.

The course covers all sorts of training to aid you in your leadership development.

At the end of the course you may or may not be successful. If successful you then go into the next Junior Term.

Those who have done the LDC and gone onto the Regular Commissioning Course have said it prepared them well and was a good experience both for personal development and as a pre-Sandhurst/RegCC course.

Best of luck!

A RoCo alumnus writes:

Does it involve carrying your entire bed space to Hill 406 for show parade at 2200?

If not, meh.

:)

Best of luck!

Thanks for the information. Yes, that's roughly what I understood it to be, seems to be train-in, rather than select out. Thanks for your help.

No, your LDC is considered your 2nd attempt at MB and if you fail the LDC, its civvie street. I assume you can still apply as a non officer role though?
Correct, you can't continue down the Officer application but nothing to stop a Soldier application.

No, your LDC is considered your 2nd attempt at MB and if you fail the LDC, its civvie street. I assume you can still apply as a non officer role though?
Ouch. So what is the reason to choose to elect for LDC rather than having a second crack at AOSB? Are the applicants told that they can't do AOSB again, or that they are highly unlikely to be successful? Or that the pass rate for LDC vs 2nd attempt at AOSB is more favourable?

Ouch. So what is the reason to choose to elect for LDC rather than having a second crack at AOSB? Are the applicants told that they can't do AOSB again, or that they are highly unlikely to be successful?
Candidates may feel that AOSB only allows 3-5 days of people assessing them and a longer period of around 10 weeks may provide a better insight into showing their potential to be an Army Officer.

Additionally LDC is not offered to all those that are unsuccessful first time round at AOSB, only those who are close to being selected but perhaps have some specific aspects that they could develop more before starting the Commissioning Course.

Candidates may feel that AOSB only allows 3-5 days of people assessing them and a longer period of around 10 weeks may provide a better insight into showing their potential to be an Army Officer.

Additionally LDC is not offered to all those that are unsuccessful first time round at AOSB, only those who are close to being selected but perhaps have some specific aspects that they could develop more before starting the Commissioning Course.

Roger. Thank you for sating my idle curiosity. Do you know what the LDC pass rate is? I it's relatively high, then it seems like a good idea.

Roger. Thank you for sating my idle curiosity. Do you know what the LDC pass rate is? I it's relatively high, then it seems like a good idea.
It varies depending on the candidates. It also has only been running for a few years so it wouldn't be fair to say that there is a common pass rate.

Some courses have had the majority of LDC candidates be selected for RMAS, others have not.

Ouch. So what is the reason to choose to elect for LDC rather than having a second crack at AOSB? Are the applicants told that they can't do AOSB again, or that they are highly unlikely to be successful? Or that the pass rate for LDC vs 2nd attempt at AOSB is more favourable?
As Commentator said its only offered to certain candidates that were 'close' to passing, atleast thats what my CSM told me. I personally took the offer as I would prefer to look back on it and say atleast I gave it my best go at LDC and had the albeit short opportunity to go to pre-Sandhurst.

As of right now, due to Covid and having to redo medicals etc the average wait time for 2nd attempt at MB is around 12 months, for the LDC I have to wait only 3 before the next intake.

Latest Threads