Slightly more balanced view

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by OldRedCap, Jan 20, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. From today's D/Telegraph. Maybe this is the start of common sense on this matter. (I know there is a thread about the trial but think this merits a new lead-in)

2. Is there a reason this didn't go into the existing thread?

3. Interesting article.
    I suspect many hold this view, however the Lions share of NEWS has the world thinking otherwise.
    Despite all of this, hopefully, somehow, those on trial will get a fair trial. Some in the media, as the article indicates for political reasons, are doing their best to see they do not.
    Can you imagine this same scenario occuring during WW2, or Korea?

4. The problem is that articles like this dont sell papers! 8O :(

In todays media obsessed world, the great unwashed (read sun readers) want big bold headlines accompanying big bold sweeping statements!

No longer does well balanced, structured and impartial reporting take precidence in the media. It's all reality tv p1sh and fake celebrities that are popular, as people try to ignore their own sad little lives and immerse themselves in other peopls lives. :roll:

Im off down under for a can of XXXX and some tanned surfer girls :twisted:

5. Sorry mod. I thought that, whilst it was similar, it (tried to) express a different point.

Without being rude, stick it where you like.

6. Nice to see this. I was shocked at the front pages yesterday and have to say that the intensity of coverage was due in part to it being a quiet news period right now. Obviously this case is very serious and the ramifications important but the Torygraph piece hits the nail on the head about how OTT the coverage was.

Was it the photo developer shop assistant who sold the pictures to the newspapers or were they leaked at a later stage? I wonder whether the media coverage of this court martial would have been more sensible if the pictures were not available.

7. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

I am pretty sure that the photos were released - after having been pixellated to protect identities - at the behest of the Court. It is a legal matter, and one over which the MoD seems to have very little control. The Courts Martial are EXTREMELY independant, and if they want to release these photos a week before the Iraqi election, then they will do so :oops:

I understand that no money was involved this time over the release of them - makes a change!

8. Oldredcap, you beat me to it!
    When I saw that article I was quite heartened to see something which didn't sensationalise this whole affair.
    Perhaps there are a tiny minority of journos who aren't complete scum :twisted:

9. On a charge for idle posting, OldRedCap. :wink:

Seriously, thanks for posting outstanding piece of commonsense.

10. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

I don't suppose that those who released the photographs and especially all those involved in publishing them can be prosecuted in any way for endangering the lives of British servicemen is there ?

I imagine there must be a Pontious Pilate clause hidden deep somewhere in the legal tomes preserving the low-lifes' 'right' to shout their mouths off while remaining above all responsibility.

:evil: