Slightly dodgy numberplates - friendly pc help?

Discussion in 'Cars, Bikes 'n AFVs' started by five-minute-fagbreak, Jun 2, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. My son recently bought me some personal number plates for me birthday.
    I have had some plates made up with the correct size letters/numbers but have got them slightly italic, and with a bigger space between 2nd and 3rd ones.
    I know this is illegal, but, can any friendly plod tell me if they would bother their arrse to pull someone for it if there was no other reason to pull them as I see loads of really dodgy one's with bits of tape, screws where they should not be ect, or am I right in thinking they have enough on their plates(I live in London) other to give themselves more paperwork, or would it just warrent a slapped wrist and "get the feckers changed" approach, not the maximum £1000 quid fine and loss of number?
    Has anyone else been pulled for dodgy plates?

Thanks in advance

example: G8 GOD

2. What you need to understand is any illegal vehicle modificatiion including number plates automatically means your car insurance becomes third party. Irrespective of whatever cover it currently provides if your car is involved in an rtc of any description you wouldn't be able to claim a penny on any insurance as your car is unroadworthy.

3. And if you are pulled with them too many times you will have the plates taken off of you.

4. REME
    Not heard of that as its not a safety issue, or affecting the cars performence on the road in any way, but i'll bow to your better jugement till I check it out. cheers.

If I got pulled once I would change them....

5. msr

msr LE

Evidence please.

msr

6. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

I think that you might like to PM Trotsky. He "works" for the MET so should either have the gen, or be able to point you in the right direction.

Alternatively. go to the DVLA website. I'm sure that their FAQ's will be able to give you the definitive answer (or at least provide a person to answer).

7. DVLA say go to jail, go directly to jail, I know how they should look,
    just wondering what average plod thinks about the hassle of pulling someone just for 'minor adjustments'.
    Cheers

8. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

Yes, that's all very well. But, do you get to pass "Go" and then collect £200.00?

9. If the writing does not comply with the Vehicles Excise Act then that is enough to win an award. It is up to the individual plod or MoT tested if they do anything about it. But there is always one.................

10. Instead of requesting advice from here, why not ring your local roads policing department in the local nick, they will give you definitive advice.....and they won't go hunting you just because you asked.

Quality and qualified advice always works.....if you were nicked would your defence be...." but the guys on arrse said it was okay"......

Trust me....every now and then the police CAN be helpful

11. so you want the op to ring the local plod and ask is it ok to drive with illegal plates

12. Down here in sunny Cornwall, Plod seem to have time on their hands to pull vehicles with dodgy plates, lots of VW types have them, they've been on the radio threatening to seize the illegally spaced number plates, call DVLA out who will then issue a Q plate at the drivers cost.

13. You might want to read this:

http://www.dvla.gov.uk/media/pdf/leaflets/v796.pdf

As it says "All number plates made after 31.8.2001 must display the mandatory typeface. Number plates made prior to this date
    must be substantially the same."

and....

"It is an offence to alter, rearrange or misrepresent letters or numbers in order to form names or words or in such a way that
    makes it difficult to read the registration number. Characters must not be moved from one block to the other e.g. AB51 DVL
    must not be displayed as AB5 1DVL or AB 51DVL. Vehicles with illegally displayed number plates may FAIL the MoT
    test. The police can also issue fixed penalty fines for illegally displayed number plates. Offenders are liable to a MAXIMUM
    FINE of £1,000 and in some cases the mark may be withdrawn."

So.....If its a gift from your son and you dont want to run the risk of losing it altogether I'd say be careful!

14. The reason for all this is, of course. so that the ANPR (if that's the right acronym) cameras can read the plates.

15. Bollox to it, dont ask your local plod. If its only a bit 'alterd', and you dont drive round like a loon or are some spotty yoof in a corsa. Then I would risk it, you may get pulled and told to change it, but I cant see plod being that bothered, unless there realy bored.