slight hearing loss in right ear - problem joining up?

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by chemtom25, Apr 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. hi all,

looking to join up next year when i finish uni, either as a rifleman or light gun royal artillery.

all health is fine except for fitness which im working on and have a year to improve, except that i have slight hearing loss in my right ear. its nothing major but it is noticeable ie i dont notice it unless i cover my left ear.

will the hearing be a problem?

i have asked the afco place and the bloke whos sorting my application about the medical and how soon it will be, cos id hate to have my heart set on joining then find at the last minute i cant!

2. Right, jump into the Arrse virtual soundbooth and pop the headphones on, and a Nurse* will be along to do a virtual audiogram. Then a collection of pseudo-consultants will glance at the resultant virtual print-out and suck through their teeth. That'll be £250 please.

*An alternative virtual healthcare professional or cleaner may suffice for the purpose of this virtual test.

3. Negligent-Discharge

Negligent-Discharge LE Book Reviewer

Rifleman or Royal Artillery eh? You'll be on a winner there then as they're all deaf anyway. To be honest, unless it's a deterioating thing you should be okay.

4. thankyou negligent-discharge

5. fu2

fu2 LE

your going to a uni and want to join up as a rifleman or gunner !!!!!!!

6. yea! whats wrong with that ;) lots of mates have told me its a backwards step but... i worked in demo/groudnworks for ~5 years before i came to uni, and i really miss the atmosphere of working with mates, having the crack on site and doing some physical work.

anyhow, its somethign ive always been interested in so if i dont do it now (..in a years time) then il never do it. plus itl teach me alot more self discipline.

7. There's a great cure for your hearing problem.

Shall I tell him?

8. oh do tell please :D

9. Not at all, especially in the gunners as hearing loss is a well recognised job-related problem. All new recruits are taught sign language though to combat this problem. Here's a starter to help you on your chosen career......

rg-wanker.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  10. hehe, i thought you were serious about the sign language for a second! hahaha

11. Eh? Speak up...

12. fu2

fu2 LE

he said he is deaf

13. ok i get it - im gonna suffer lots of hearing loss from being a rifleman or a gunner.

bah.

14. Deafness in one ear?

I take it that your left handed stepfather kept slapping you about your ginger head until you couldn't hear on the right side anymore.

Well done him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.