Sleeping Issues on Friday night

Discussion in 'The ARRSE Hole' started by gunnerfalkey, Dec 13, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi folks, every weekend I go away for training I seem to suffer extreme insomnia on the Friday night, getting at most and hours sleep. It seems to be due to being pumped up and not being able to relax.

Consequently, I'm always knackered for Saturday and struggle to concentrate, additionally I feel physically drained and my run times suffer. The next day drags horribly, It's torture.

I'm starting to dread doing weekends now simply because of this problem.
    I haven't told anyone in my unit about it as i'm not sure they'd understand.

Does anyone else suffer from the same issue, or know a way to fix it?

Cheers

(P.S if this should be in the health and fitness forum I apologise in advance)

2. Prepare for Incoming, mate... :roll:

As to your question: Boots do a good sleeping tablet, but it is NOT suitible for long-term use. It might help you change your sleeping pattern though.

You could also talk to your GP.

3. Incoming for asking advice on a genuine problem affecting my ability to train?

I would hope not

4. Cut caffeine out of your life mate, wreaks havoc on sleeping patterns, particulary if your anxious or stressed.

5. I have consulted my GP and they have told me they are willing to prescribe Zopiclone, which is a sleeping pill, to fix the problem.

I'd rather not do it through a pill though

6. Just the same reason as to why you get a sh1t nights sleep before getting the red eye flight (7am) to either Guernsey\London from here. Your body knows that you are going to be breaking your routine.

The more you do it the more your body gets used to it and hopefully you calm down.
    "It's just like making love to a beautiful lady ..." Swiss Tony

7. Try something like Kalms, bit girly but they do work.

8. blue-sophist

blue-sophist LE Good Egg (charities)

I'm a serial insomniac.
    And spent much of my working life as a shift-worker.

How old are you?
    Do you have a full-time job Mon-Fri?
    Smoker?
    Drinker?

I understand the underlying issues, to a certain extent.

9. Is it quite a common problem? Having been away on a two week camp I noticed that after the first night my sleeping patterns settled down perfectly... It's just the change from civi to TA mode that seems to bring it on

10. Sounds like something that could be found to be a reasonably common thing.

I have a mate who's a reservist with the marines, he says something similar though it doesn't sound as common as you describe and his may very well be down to the fact that working all week at Morrison's makes doing anything else at all unbearably exciting.

but I agree with the breaking routine statement posted earlier, also I can agree that kalms are girly.. but they work, even if it's just a placebo effect.

11. Command_doh

Command_doh LE Book Reviewer

Its because you are so excited at 'hanging out with the boys' you can't sleep. Maybe you will miss something exciting if you fall asleep? Or you just feel nervous about sleeping in a room with a bunch of fat, hairy men? Maybe they will touch you, who knows?

Are you a student? Maybe you don't have a job, and are unsure about joining up full time? You sleep odd hours and regularly wake up at 1pm on Fridays so are not that tired - having played COD4 on Xbox all night long?

Maybe you love the T.A. so much that you can't wait for Saturday morning, standing rigidly on Parade!

Seriously though, chill out. It's not worth stressing over. I always find if you work a 40 hour week then its not a problem. If your a dole scrounger, then you aren't exactly going to be catching any Zeds though, are you?

I always find 6 pints of watered down p1ss water from the 'used to be called a naafi' works well.

12. Firstly, remember that this will be excellent preparation for the sleep deprivation of early parenthood.

Secondly, keep off prescription sleeping pills as they can hangover, causing drowsiness (which will be no improvement on your current state); worst case, could make you dangerous to drive, work with machinery etc.

Problem will be self-correcting when the excitement wears off. Until then, try the following: cut out all caffeine after noon, have no more than 2 units alcohol, no heavy food after about 6ish. Try traditional soporifics such as camomile or linden blossom tea, or Horlicks. Go to bed at a regular time every night to set a stronger bodily cue for when it's time to sleep. And of course, orgasm.

(edited as I still fall foul of this dratted predictive keyboard).

13. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rooibos

14. I'm 19
    I'm a student, so i'm normally in lectures 5 days a week.
    I don't smoke
    I don't really drink either.

It's very frustrating, all i want to do is crack on with the weekend, but then the insomnia kicks in and seems to ruin everything.

I don't have weird sleeping patterns either, I stick to a rigid routine. Bed at about 10/11 and up at about 6.

15. I prefer Tetleys decaf myself.