Sleeping bags

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by UKChrisT, Jul 13, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm looking at buying my own sleeping bag mainly to use within the UK, I want something that's good enough to last me for years to come.

I have been looking at the Snugpak Softie 12 Osprey Sleeping Bag, low as 15c comfort 10c can anyone else recommend this bag? or something similar.

I've done a search on here but didn't find any reviews for the softie 12.

Cheers in advance,

2. The softie 9 is ok too - great range and they pack small. Whatever you do don't use an issue one - I like them but they're way too big for hiking or bikepacking.

Get a bivibag and a basha sheet with bungees/cord then you can travel light - you'll only need a tent in really bad weather.

3. My sgt has the softie 9 but I didn't get the chance to speak to him about it Wednesday.

I'm not too sure what the softie 12 is like for space, so if anyone can shade some light please do so.

I have my self a bivibag from snugpak, so that isn't a problem.

Cheers for the advice, much appreiciated.

4. There are lots of bags out there. Each have their pros and cons. You need to balance weight/size against warmth and how much you want to spend. Go to a camping shop and tell them what you're looking for. Get their advice. Remember, if you use a bivi bag with your gonk-bag, it adds about half a season to it.

I find that the softie 9 is fine for year-round UK use, although I don't feel the cold much. If you're onyl going to get one bag, I would imagine that the softie 12 would be too warm in summer.