Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Mr.Bojangles, Jun 22, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi, this might sound like a stupid question but i'll ask anyway.
    At night I usually go to sleep around 12-1am and wake up at around 9 or 10, and even then I still start to feel drowzy in the afternoon. I read the books about training etc and it says you get around 7 hours sleep a night, So I started setting my alarm, anyway I got up 7 hours later and was knackared there was times during the day when I felt like I had no energy at all, It started to worry me so I went to the doctors and he ran some blood tests but everything was normal, he did however suggest that it could be my diet and vitimin intake.

So does anyone have any advice on maybe good energy/vitimin packed foods to keep you going strong and awake the whole day long, or is it just natural for all recruits going through phase 1 to be tired as hell.

Cheers :D
  2. This may help, it's an article I found on google:

Vitamins and Minerals
    Can Relieve Your Insomnia
    Vitamin supplements may be used to provide you some relief from insomnia. This is particularly true if you are deficient in certain vitamins, amino acids, minerals, or enzymes that are necessary for healthy sleep.

Try adding one of the following nutritional supplements to your daily well-balanced diet:

Calcium: When combined with food, calcium can have a sedative effect on your body. Calcium deficiencies in your body can cause wakefulness and restlessness. The recommended amount of calcium supplement per day is 600mg. It should be taken along with food and may be combined with a magnesium supplement.

Magnesium: Take a magnesium supplement of 250g each day. This can help induce sleep since a magnesium deficiency can cause nervousness which may prevent you from sleeping. Studies show that low levels of magnesium can lead to shallower sleep and cause you to wake more during the night. Try to add magnesium-rich foods to your diet. This includes wheat bran, almonds, cashews, blackstrap molasses, and kelp.

Vitamin B6 (pyridoxine): 50 to 100mg of Vitamin B6 per day can help prevent insomnia. Your body needs adequate B6 in order to produce serotonin which is required for the sleep-triggering hormone called melatonin. An excellent source of vitamin B6 is a tablespoon or two of nutritional yeast which can be stirred into a glass of fruit juice.

Vitamin B12 (cobalamin): This is another important supplement in the cure for insomnia. If you are deficient in this vitamin you may experience confusion, loss of memory, and a general feeling of tiredness. The recommended daily dose is 25mg and can be combined with Vitamin B5. Good choices of Vitamin B12 and B5 can be found in walnuts, sunflower seeds, bananas, tuna, wheat germ, peanuts, and whole grains.

Vitamin B5 (pantothenic acid): This vitamin is good for relieving stress and anxiety. Deficiency of B5 can cause sleep disturbances and fatigue. The daily recommended dose is 100 mg.

Folic Acid: A deficiency of folic acid may be a contributing factor to insomnia. The recommended daily dose is 400 micrograms. Folic acid can be found naturally in orange juice, leafy green vegetables, fortified breakfast cereals, and beans. It should be noted that the synthetic form of folic acid found in over-the-counter vitamins is more easily used by your body than the natural product.

Copper: Studies show that a low intake of copper in pre-menopausal women may inhibit them from falling asleep quickly. The study showed that those women who received a 2mg copper supplement each day fell asleep faster and felt more rested in the morning. You are probably getting 1 mg of copper each day which wouldn't cause enough of a deficiency to cause any obvious symptoms but may be affecting the way that you sleep. Try to include more copper in your diet. Some of the best sources are cooked oysters and lobster.
    If you eat a well-balanced diet you should find that you have no problem with vitamin deficiencies. You may want to add one or two of the above supplements to your diet for a short period of time to see if you notice a significant difference.

If you find that there is no noticeable improvement you may want to cease taking the supplement and concentrate on improving your eating and exercise habits.
  3. have you considered that you may be snoring ? that can restrict oxygen flow to the brain and not giving you a full night sleep ? just a thought.
  4. have you considered that you may be snoring ? that can restrict oxygen flow to the brain and not giving you a full night sleep ? just a thought.
  5. If you live in a noisy place you might be constantly getting a startle response due to sudden noise, heart rate goes up, adrenaline gets dumped, you're half awake, and then you slowly get back to sleep. In lots of places you only sleep properly between 0400 and 0630 - the rest of the time some bugger is creating.
  6. Thanks for that info, definatly worth looking into.
    Also, I do snore quite loudly (Or So I've been told) :p I'll look into that too.
  7. Bananas and mars bars.

Those things save lives.
  8. Seconded. Why, only yesterday an African plantain and a dark chocolate King Size dragged a woman from a burning car. Heroes the lot of 'em.
  9. What is your daily food intake like?
  10. get up at 6am and get a job. Run before and after work. But mostly, get a job.
  11. You might also be animeic (spelling). If none of the above works you could try a blood test at the docs. Its a bit of a last resort but you never know.
  12. :?
    Try reading the post properly... :oops:
  13. get a job as a labourer on a building site, youl sleep ok then promise.
  14. lol just get into a routine and you'll be fine. You don't need vitamins or suppliments just go to bed at midnight and wake up at 7am every day for a week without fail and you will have no problem with doing so as long as you stick to the routine. Your body adapts very quickly to the amount of sleep you give it (within reason) as long as you don't mess around and keep to a fairly regular pattern.

At uni I was sleeping 10 hours a night then when I got a job I realised that its a complete waste of time so I forced myself to stick to 6.5 hour per night and I have no problem with this despite feeling like I was a zombie for the first week.

Also, from what I have heard, 7 hours a night in phase one is considered something of a luxury... perhaps someone else could comment further.