Sleep

I listen to Classic FM on low volume.
I do the very same thing. I tried doing the white noise route of the sea, the sounds of riding a train, or 8 hours of being inside a B-17 Flying Fortress. I found they did bugger all for me, but putting on classical music helped me a lot. But I had to find a station that did not have a newscast at the top of the hour, as that would simultaneously wake me and piss me off at the same time.

Shingle beach makes me drop of. Baroque music is supposed to be very good for that. It's the fractals n shit.

Should have done that. I had a sensibly early night last night. Been awake since 3am.....

Dwarf

LE
Do not scoff but meditation music, enty on youtube is very good as a relaxation aid. Leave it on low.
Find one you like with no chants or mantras.

Do not scoff but meditation music, enty on youtube is very good as a relaxation aid. Leave it on low.
Find one you like with no chants or mantras.
Does it keep getting interrupted with those annoying ads on YouTube that have stated to creep in mid video?

I only have five to six hours unless I've been on a sesh of course. I find that sleeping more than six hours per night makes me lethargic and tired, been like that for years now.

Dwarf

LE
Does it keep getting interrupted with those annoying ads on YouTube that have stated to creep in mid video?
Yep that's annoying. Om mani padme.........and now have you ever etc etc.

But plenty of DVDs or downloads to get.
Some two to six hour music just keeps on going to the end. Case of experimenting.

Agreed, Dwarf. Forgot though XD

sirbhp

LE
Book Reviewer
didint play sleep hypnosis tape last nite , woke up at 16:00 this after, feeling like poop. will play it tonight for sure .

OI I looked up CDT are yew saying i am a tit ? :grin:

Last edited:
Here's a recent Freakonomics podcast on the subject.

Their is some dicussion about the impact that sleep (or lack of it) may have on Police in the course of their duty. I found it interesting that @LD17 mentioned that NYPD cops used to do a 24 hour shift (8 On duty, 8 On standby and 8 asleep) in his recent post on his experiences during 9/11.

Last edited:

LD17

MIA
Here's a recent Freakonomics podcast on the subject.

Their is some dicussion about the impact that sleep (or lack of it) may have on Police in the course of their duty. I found it interesting that @LD17 mentioned that NYPD cops used to do a 24 hour shift (8 On duty, 8 On standby and 8 asleep) in his recent post on his experiences during 9/11.
@CutLunchCommando
The NYPD did 24 hour shifts pre-war (World War II). Up until the early 90's, IIRC, we had something called the 9 Squad Chart, you did a week of Day Tours, a week of 4x12s, then another week of Day Tours, followed by 4x12s, then you did a week of Midnights. The only steady tours were permanent Midnight guys. The plus of the 9 Squad Chart was you worked with everyone in the Precinct and guys were very tight, the downside was horrible sleep and a messed up body-clock. Lack of sleep was combated by "4x4s"....going out after 4x12s until the bars closed at 0400 (and then many bars liked the off-duty Cops to stay while the receipts for the day were counted....didn't have to worry about getting robbed!). Though the Job has now moved to steady tours (we feel more to break Cops up into competing groups, it is almost gospel that The Job never does anything for the benefit of the troops.....we used to have T-shirts that read "NYPD- The Only job that hates you back!") the dorms are still utilized due to OT and different Odd Tours. For instance the Precinct Detective Squad do a chart of two Day Tours then two 4x1s then two days off followed by 4x1s then Day Tours, the second day of 4x1's (0100 End of Tour) leads into a Day Tour (0800 start, and called The Turnaround) now no one goes home, they just sleep over.
Lounges and dorms were incorporated into new built (post-war) Precincts due to tradition and the fact that it was really your second home. Like I said in another thread, some guys who lived far from the Precinct where they worked, would sometimes choose to sleep over instead of commuting. After 9/11 with the amount of OT, guys lived at their Precincts for weeks at a time. Guys going through a divorce also found it cheaper to just "live" at the Precinct, as a matter of fact our civilian Custodian who cleaned up and ran the boiler and generators, worked over 40 years for the NYPD. He retired but lived in the Precinct, turned his old office into a small apartment. In retirement he still helped around the Precinct, some guys didn't even know he had retired! When he passed we had to come up with a cunning cover story, which we did, when his son came to the Precinct he told us that his dad would have wanted to pass away in the place he loved and the guys/gals he loved being around.

Latest Threads