Sleep

If you are struggling with sleep, feeling exhausted and generally down it really is worth seeing your doctor. You may be suffering from sleep apnoea and could benefit from a CPAP machine.

All of the above.

I have a relaxing scenario I play through in my mind when trying to sleep, or if I wake up in the middle of the night. I just slot in the mental virtual reality DVD, run the scenario through, and am usually asleep before I reach the conclusion - which is sad as the scenario involves a couple of wimmin and me.

The logic behind the process is that you need to be thinking about something relaxing and not mulling over the days issues, or life's problems.

It is a variation of the techniques taught by these peoples........

My son can't switch off at night, even with lack of screen, warm bath etc, every time we went to bed he'd be wide awake. I can remember the first morning after we gave him melatonin, he was like a new person. That led to a separate issue as he now needs to take more for the effect and can quite often grizz through the effects and not sleep. Not sure how long he's going to have to live with it for.

I was interested to know why the lists I found included getting more exposure to sunlight durng the day. To do with serotinin and melatonin as muhc as re-establishing the circadian rhythm, I suppose.

Yokel

LE
The American RAND Corporation produced a report on the economic costs of insufficient sleep - the clever people get it.

Why Sleep Matters

Sleep deprivation was identified as a factor in those two collisions involving US Navy Ships in recent years. @alfred_the_great and @jrwlynch may be able to comment on the hard charging culture.

Blogg

LE
Sleep pattern disruption is a pig even if you don't have an existing sleep disorder

Spent years doing frequent long haul travel because my cheapskate employer decided that everything could be resourced from UK and Europe.

Throw in cheap flights with outlandish routes and it all went to rats. Increasingly zombified: brain fog irritable, unable to sleep through, always feeling like crap and prone to any lurgy going around

And that was the whole team, not just me. Guy who had always done early morning runs and a big gym rat claimed this was only because we were all weaklings and tried to keep it up.

Denied all the very obvious warning signs, eventually keeled over and off for 6 months with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

Impact of long term sleep disruption and debt is dreadful and poorly understood

Went to a "Sleep" lecture at work by Nick Littlehales, expected mumbo-jumbo brain twattery and didn't want to go: no, this was sensible, down-to-earth stuff anyone can arrange, no mantra's or whale noises, but simple stuff like a dark blind in the room, making a tired mattress sleepable, etc. Besides the Man U sleep coach, he's also Brit Olympic & Cycling Team and US Marines sleep coach amongst others. Lifetime working for Dreamland mattresses, a solid sensible non-academic background and people take him seriously. EG the search to take 25 or 50g off a Tour de France racing cycle could cost ££,£££'s, but a decent (free) kip for the rider far exceeds that performance gain. See if you can find his stuff.

I was so impressed, I even bought a blind. Not from him, though.

Five to six hours and sometimes only three. It seems I need less sleep as I get older.

I know of the theories about sleep but we really don't know why all animals need to sleep. It is so essential that some animals, e.g. dolphins, sleep with one half of the brain at a time.

Used to sleep for five or six hours at most and weighed eleven stone. Then I was diagnosed with an over active thyroid which was removed. Now I can easily do ten hours per night.
If I do a lot of physical work I drop after a few days and just sleep until my thyroid balances out. Weight went up as well Despite plenty of exercise.

I wonder how many serious illness and accidents could be avoided if people were able to get more sleep?
Wouldn't be the first time I've arrived at work and have no recollection of the drive. Combination of route familiarity and tiredness. Not a good recipe for alert driving.

Knocking booze on the head has improved my sleep considerably. It doesn't feel any different getting to sleep (after the first fortnight anyway) but I actually wake up and get out of bed alert now. Previously I'd be fighting the alarm clock and then stumble about for the first quarter of an hour still half-asleep.

Still getting about 6-7 hours per night but it must be better quality as I don't get up feeling knackered any more.

Yokel

LE
As a teacher do you find some of your class are tired and yawning, having done computer games or whatever to stupid o'clock? I can imagine that you can tell which kids have had a proper sleep. As an eighteen year old engineering student I often finished off coursework after midnight. Imagine my surprise when I looked at a marked piece of work and found that I had written 'Indermate' when I had been copying a diagram with the word 'Indeterminate'. Doh!

Sleep that knits up the ravell’d sleeve of care,
The death of each day’s life, sore labour’s bath,
Balm of hurt minds, great nature’s second course,
Chief nourisher in life’s feast.

From Shakespeare's 'Scottish play'.

How much sleep does an average person need? What with acting as a carer, I seem to not get to bed before 0100, am usually up again at somewhere between 0500 and 0600 and then struggle to get back to sleep. I am tired most of the time, not helped my medication, and am too tired to do all the things I need to do, which then stops me from relaxing.
I used to have the same problem. It’s a vicious cycle and difficult to break as it spins become habit.

my wife was the one that helped me break the cycle, I now sleep like a baby.

go to bed early and read. Don’t read a book as you need to be sat up in bed with the lights on. Buy a kindle. You can read that lying down and you don’t need the lights on. You can also put it down in bed and fall asleep.

don’t read hard going books. Stick to easy reads like Jack Reacher or Sharpe.

it took about a month to get used to it.
Now, I’m in bed by 21:30 and asleep by 10:00. I get a chapter done a night now.

never felt better for it.

A short spell of light reading is also a good way to reset for sleep if you wake in the night.

It is interesting that in the last few years wherein sleep research has gained traction that, among many findings, the 'lazy teen constant sleeper' has been debunked. The body heals and grows when shut down to sleep. That's why babies mostly sleep during the first few months. Teens going through the physical, emotional and cerebral rewirings and changes of puberty and post-puberty may actually biologically require more sleep to facilitate this efectively. Morning alertness increases in their age group if they are able to wake later.

edit: typos

Last edited:
I struggle to get a good nights sleep, usually 5 - 6 hours if I'm lucky. Some of it is my own fault, staying up too late gaming or watching Netflix, dicking about on my phone when I get into bed etc, and then other factors are struggling to get comfy, too hot, too cold, pillows not right, itching skin, bladder nagging at me for a slash at 4am or a head full of thoughts that won't switch off.
I've found self hypnosis helps, there's a few apps available that do it. Every now and then if I'm really struggling I'll have a little shot of Night Nurse which knocks me out for the night, but leaves me feeling groggy most of the next day so it's only when I've gone days without much sleep that I'll resort to that.
Zopiclone is excellent but only available on prescription, guaranteed a good nights sleep on that!

The best sleep I usually have is the first night back home after an exercise which has involved lots of patrolling, stagging on, staying up all night doing CTR's and the subsequent reports etc. I'm out for the count then, full 8 hours sleep and still feeling jet lagged the next day!

I struggle to get a good nights sleep, usually 5 - 6 hours if I'm lucky. Some of it is my own fault, staying up too late gaming or watching Netflix, dicking about on my phone when I get into bed etc, and then other factors are struggling to get comfy, too hot, too cold, pillows not right, itching skin, bladder nagging at me for a slash at 4am or a head full of thoughts that won't switch off.
I've found self hypnosis helps, there's a few apps available that do it. Every now and then if I'm really struggling I'll have a little shot of Night Nurse which knocks me out for the night, but leaves me feeling groggy most of the next day so it's only when I've gone days without much sleep that I'll resort to that.
Zopiclone is excellent but only available on prescription, guaranteed a good nights sleep on that!

The best sleep I usually have is the first night back home after an exercise which has involved lots of patrolling, stagging on, staying up all night doing CTR's and the subsequent reports etc. I'm out for the count then, full 8 hours sleep and still feeling jet lagged the next day!
Ditch the phone in the bedroom and a TV.

iPhones give out a different type of light to things like kindles.

as well as reading a kindle in bed which gets me to sleep in no time at all, my phones been left downstairs to stop me staying up reading Wikipedia to the early hours and the TV was binned. No more watching family guy and American Dad until 3 in the morning. (I know I’m tired but I’ll just watch the end of this…..oh, this looks like it could be interesting.)

Ritch

LE
I rarely sleep more than 3-4 hours a night unless I've reached the end of my tether and i crash for a long time (the longest has been 17 hours).

Mostly it's due to the chronic pain syndrome and even with heavy duty meds, it's hard to drop off and stay asleep. For example, last night I was utterly broken - went to bed at 2000 and fell straight asleep. I was awake at 2350 and didn't manage to drop back off until after 0430.

One incident about four years ago scared the bejesus out of me. I'd been running back and forth as a family member up in Leeds was dying. I'd be driving up early in the morning and back to Sheffield late at night. That lasted for about nine weeks. The inevitable happened and they passed away. On my return to Sheffield, I promptly fell asleep in lane one at junction 40 of the M1. Only a matter of seconds but that was enough to terrify me. I pulled off at the services at 39, booked in a travel lodge and crawled into bed fully clothed and slept for 14 hours.

I'm always tired but now I just sleep when I can get it. I've learnt that to try and hold out until bedtime when you're in desperate need of a kip at midday is unhealthy.

Dwarf

LE
As a teacher do you find some of your class are tired and yawning, having done computer games or whatever to stupid o'clock? I can imagine that you can tell which kids have had a proper sleep. As an eighteen year old engineering student I often finished off coursework after midnight. Imagine my surprise when I looked at a marked piece of work and found that I had written 'Indermate' when I had been copying a diagram with the word 'Indeterminate'. Doh!
Oh yes. But generally two types of student, the video gamer and those with a heavy workload.
A lot of teens I find exist on only six hours a night, which at their age is not a good idea. But school workload especially at exam time doesn't permit much else.
Gamers tend to binge and then catch up with sleep when they can. Definitely not with it when they binge.

Actually the worst was with covid and online stuff, you could see which ones were concentrating on a different screen while you were talking but difficult to monitor or enforce discipline in that sense.

Oh yes. But generally two types of student, the video gamer and those with a heavy workload.
A lot of teens I find exist on only six hours a night, which at their age is not a good idea. But school workload especially at exam time doesn't permit much else.
Gamers tend to binge and then catch up with sleep when they can. Definitely not with it when they binge.

Actually the worst was with covid and online stuff, you could see which ones were concentrating on a different screen while you were talking but difficult to monitor or enforce discipline in that sense.

The other thing with young gamers is that companies like this have aggressive advertising campaigns all across social media for these energy drinks that let them stay up all night gaming, and they're convinced that it's "healthy" because it says sugar free on it.

Energy To Create

Some of the younger lot at my work bring a couple of cans of Monster in with them every day and sit there swigging them all day to stay awake. They're stuck in a cycle of using high amounts of caffeine to stay up all night and then using it to get them through the day as well.

Latest Threads