Sleep Deprivation

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Officer Recruiting' started by Sentinel89, Jan 22, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I can find a million threads on the briefing press up test and the bleep test and sandhurst run times ect..... But I can not find a thread on sleep deprivation, which is funny since almost everything I read about RMAS repeatedly says the sleep deprivation is the worst bit of it all.

So the question is, can you prepare for sleep deprivation in any way? I was thinking attempting a bit of a camping trip with a few friends in which we aim for 3 hours sleep a night or something, just to get a taste of it, though I fear without a CSgt screaming at us we may simply sleep through alarms once we are tired enough. Any thoughts?
  2. I'd say that sleep deprivation is more of a temperament thing. I get quite ratty if I don't get enough sleep, furthermore the knowledge that others are getting more could make me jealous. Once I discovered these things, I was able to counteract it.

Not sure you need to train for it...
  3. Not really. I get really ratty as well, but the best thing to at least try and remember is everyone feels just as dog-shit rough as you do. Complaining about it just gets everyone down.
  4. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

There has been a lot of studies carried out and research published even during my service. I found the best way to deal withh it in training is to balance out the logic. Its only an exercise/training run etc and therefore will end in x days. Its not as if you are going to war. How that works out when you are on ops is different. I used to find counting down to planned return to base helped but sometimes you just cant get enough sleep.
    Brecon used to be scary for lack of sleep until you realise that simulating routine on ops is difficult and you soon settle into short sleep patterns.
  5. Totally agree except to say that physical fitness helps you deal with lack of sleep, as does simply being in a position of command or responsibility. Can't quite explain the last bit other than to say that if you know you are in charge and need to be the one taking the critical decisions, then it tends to give you a bit of inner strength allowing you to beat the tiredness; bit like the "leaders' lung", I suppose.
  6. There were trials conducted at Warminster during the seventies. An armoured Platoon in an NBC environment were the subjects... Once over a certain threshold military functions are not that seriously impaired. Side effects such sleep disturbance following the experience are long lasting. The younger soldiers are more prone to dropping off... Although training is not nescessary, prior experience on how to deal with it is an advantage.
  7. On Exercise you will be hanging out, very little sleep, puts you under similar sort of stress to Operations to see how you cope according to DS.

Back at camp, you will get used to 5-6 hours kip a night ime.
  8. As everyone has said, I don't think there is any point trying to "train" for it. Just turn up and deal with it like everyone else, whether in camp or on exercise.

I remember a visiting American General giving a presentation on Vietnam to the whole of our intake in a darkened lecture theatre (known as the concrete sleeping bag). At one point I woke up and looked around to find the General talking to several hundred sleeping Officer Cadets. I chuckled and went back to sleep.

Crikey we got beasted for that one!
  9. The only way I can think of to train for it is to have a ratty toddler and newborn twins. Could you borrow some?
  10. Learn how to "catnap" or get "value sleep".... then tell me how!
  11. ISTR that we didn't. If that was the Kermit Roosevelt Lecture then CC951 slept right through it, as did the staff. You could tell by the way the audience progressively woke up during the applause at the end of the lecture.

Sleep deprivation is an unashamed RMAS technique. There's even a pre-exercise briefing for one of the more hellish ones in which they say; 'the aim of Part A of the exercise is to exhaust you so that we can have more fun assessing you in Part B.'
  12. You can't train for it. The idea of the sleep deprivation exercise (the digging in one - whatever it's now called) is that you keep digging through the night and into the next day - so no sleep. I remember seeing some pretty weird stuff (halucinations...) and you can't prepare - we were already probably on less that civvi amount of sleep per night, so on ex you reduce.

The digging in one tested everybody - can you go on patrol and sleep standing up? I did. Still function in a comd task? Again, most did.

And yes, an element of it can only last for the duration of the exercise...or worst case, it can only last for a year at RMAS!
  13. skid2

skid2 LE Book Reviewer

Apologies, read this as Sheep deprivation
  14. Yeah the space cadets.
  15. It depends on the individuals upbringing and circumstances. If you have never had less than your required eight hours under a quilt, with hot water bottle and central heating you will be in for a terrible shock finding yourself going as little as one night without sleep and being asked to carry out physical and mental tasks. You are in for a shock and will be at a disadvantage to your more robust peers. Just try going without sleep for one night to see how it feels.

On the other hand do not loose sight of the fact that Sandhurst is simply a Basic Training Establishment not SAS selection.