Slave Names?

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I'm watching a film and an African American chap was twittering on about why he should not be called John Smith anymore because it was his slave name but now he is 'Masoud'.

I did a little Google and found that this is bit if a social phenomenon amongst African-Americans and Jamaican-Americans. Think Mohamed Ali etc.

I'm all in favour of personal choice and anyone should be able to call themselves whatever they like as long as its not for criminal reasons but I can't help wondering if they are not a lite confused.

As far as I'm aware black Africans are not usually of a muslim background - indeed islam's involvement in black Africa would be as slave traders - so I'm at a loss to understand why African American would wish to pretend to be muslims.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

I just watched Django unchained, there were lots of slaves, if I had a slave I would call it after that dog, you know which one....

Thats right, Goldy from blue Peter.

Easier entry to the benefits system?

Actually wah shield on I think they turned Muslim and changed their name in line with that religion rather that pretending to be wah/

This sort of rubbish was doing the rounds about 15-20 years ago. People of Afro-Caribbean descent, particularly in the US, took to giving African names to their kids. But of course the arse fell out of that idea, because so few had any idea what an African name might be, and thus we ended up with LaTrine and DeNegrius. Similar to Taigs in NI making up "Gaelic" names for their kids.

Horseshit, the lot of it.

I find calling them boy seems to annoy them.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using ARRSE mobile app

There was a lad on the Late Late Show on RTE years ago who was definitely Afro although his mam and dad were white. Something genetic since we all started out as Africans. That's what his mother told him anyway since at the time there wouldn't have been many black lads in Ireland. Anyway this lad was fucked in the head and had changed his name from Pat Murphy to Soweto Africa or something even though he had a Kerry accent and wasn't descended from slaves.

There was a lad on the Late Late Show on RTE years ago who was definitely Afro although his mam and dad were white. Something genetic since we all started out as Africans. That's what his mother told him anyway since at the time there wouldn't have been many black lads in Ireland. Anyway this lad was fucked in the head and had changed his name from Pat Murphy to Soweto Africa or something even though he had a Kerry accent and wasn't descended from slaves.
And then years later he became a moderator here.

Aye, his Mum was shagging a black guy at one point.

Al Pha Gibson
P Rime Gibson.......

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
surely 400 years down the line it's rather irrelevant whether they were named after or by their plantation owners

what they should be complaining about isn't the whiteys who took them from africa but their fellow africans who captured them to sell to the whiteys - its the great taboo never mentioned anywhere. inter tribal slavery was a way of life in africa and to wasn't uncommon for a tribal chief to sell his rival brothers and sisters to the slavers to get rid of them along with his enemies. it's a great way to get rid of the inlaws.

the trade was allready thriving before the white man we just set up an export market.

when you look at the successes of those ex slaves worldwide then it could be said that it was actually good for the people of africa. overseas they were one people of a black race rather than a thousand dispossessed tribes.

they are very quick to rename themselves and declare their heritage or demand redress but you wont find them going back - oh no - the place is a shit hole and they don't like the inter tribal racism which makes the klan seem like good old boys out for a bit of harmless fun on a saturday night. most of them invent their past and decide which area they wanted to be from and get a bit upset when they find out they aren't decended from proud zulu warriors but millet farming slave tribes to the zulu, matabele etc...

you'll also notice they don't try to upset the arabs who were at it far longer, never stopped and are still reportedly at it. we went to war against slavery partly due to wilberforce but also due to the slave raids from africa into europe for white slaves where there is documented evidence of raids on the atlantic coast up to cornwall and ireland.