Slashed MTDs rumour

Got it from XXX last night , you think , no TA buildings running light/leccy/heating for one night in the month across the UK , Gordon Broon would save quite a bit of cash. I imagine it won't be such a big deal unless there is a XXX ex that weekend !

MTD's are getting slashed left, right and centre, as regards to weekends. Not heard of it getting to the point where the unit has to close though :?

Yep our Brigade SAAM was cancelled due to this

Budgets are tight.

Each Regional Brigade will react in a different way to trim costs. Some will take it full on in the face and just cut training (regular mentality - OJAR concerns!) whereas some will take a more pragmatic view.

It depends where you are - in a region where someone has a brain, or in one where they have not.

Where are the ones where training is being cut?

I know we've had our MTDs cut to 80day maximum, which is a coincidence as we have to do 80 minimum as well!

Our MTD's are being capped at 32 per year, anyone who will go above that has to apply to Bde for more. Its all a big effort to save money as the army is nearly broke. Also in August of this year the TA will have to pay for meals, won't be eating in the TAC then :x

Sounds like the cuts are region wide. The cuts are a bit of a p**s take when we are expected to up the tempo with our training in order to close the gap with our regular counterparts so that we are more effective when mobilsed. Its a bit like saying you need to get fitter and run faster but we are going to first smash you in the goolies and take a crowbar to your knees.

Whilst I am certainly not condoning the cuts in any way, we are now even more focussed in ensuring that the Tuesday nights and weekends are spent more efficiently and are even more packed to the gunnels with training. So it initially has had a good effect in a bizarre way, in kicking our arrses into doing something positive about it.

With some of the newly formed units the training Tues/weekends are completely necessary to shake out and get the soldiers into the new organisational way of thinking. It is also a great recruiting and retention tool and so sacfrificing weekends might have a negative affect on them. I hope not though.

The advantage of having a micro-managing RHQ means the past few weekends have not really required the full compliment of Sqn Snrs or Officers thus saving quite a few MTD's!!

Ever thought it might be somthing to do with all the folk who do upwards of 200 days, being told to have a reality check?

CBA & Helmet on..

Our Regimental budget has been reduced from £750K to £700, which if you consider a w/e costs somewhere in the region of £30k, means we either have to loose 2 w/es or make savings on weds or go for a reduced camp. I don't think either of the later are particularly sensible.

The real problem though is that under FAS, this organisation is increasing in size by approx. 50%. So in real terms it is a massive hit. Coupling this with a restrictions on travel to a max of 50 miles each way, some individuals will now be paying to come in on a weds eve. The sad thing is that alot of time and effort has been put into getting people to come in for all training, which now seems to be wasted. At present the Regt has £2770 per man but with FAS and budget cut this falls down to £1820, quite a sizeable cut in real terms. More manpower, less money, same training standards, same operational commitments, good game, good game.

This is a small saving off each Regts budget, and when added up across the TA will amount to a few million here and there, but what is the price in good will? Penny pinching for MBEs and OBEs, but ultimately making the TA more and more unattractive. I liken this salami slicing to the execuative at a match making company who reduces costs each year by putting one less match in their boxes, until one day no one is buying their product and he can't understand why until he buys a box and realises there aren't any matches in the box.

200 days is abit much for anyone to do. Verging on the point of sad.

The 'cut' on MTD's appears to be mostly smoke and mirrors, the money is still there (in some cases more than last Trg year), it seems to me that they desperately dont want an overspend.

However this current 'cut' is harming the effectiveness and quality of training, as the key enablers are unable to put the work in to prepare decent training. Most units have individuals that pick up the slack doing 100 or so MTD's - These individuals whom most would agree are value for money, cant fulfill the valuable role they have done for years.

Ah well, the TA will fall over one day, it certainly wont be our fault that it did...

marabout said:
Our Regimental budget has been reduced from £750K to £700, which if you consider a w/e costs somewhere in the region of £30k, means we either have to loose 2 w/es or make savings on weds or go for a reduced camp. I don't think either of the later are particularly sensible.

The real problem though is that under FAS, this organisation is increasing in size by approx. 50%. So in real terms it is a massive hit. Coupling this with a restrictions on travel to a max of 50 miles each way, some individuals will now be paying to come in on a weds eve. The sad thing is that alot of time and effort has been put into getting people to come in for all training, which now seems to be wasted. At present the Regt has £2770 per man but with FAS and budget cut this falls down to £1820, quite a sizeable cut in real terms. More manpower, less money, same training standards, same operational commitments, good game, good game.

This is a small saving off each Regts budget, and when added up across the TA will amount to a few million here and there, but what is the price in good will? Penny pinching for MBEs and OBEs, but ultimately making the TA more and more unattractive. I liken this salami slicing to the execuative at a match making company who reduces costs each year by putting one less match in their boxes, until one day no one is buying their product and he can't understand why until he buys a box and realises there aren't any matches in the box.
This certainly pricked up a few ears when we had the briefing off the RAO, as quite a few of our soldiers easily cover that in a tues night due to our location. After SDR and rather than changing cap badges they came to their new 'nearest' unit with the promise of travel expenditure being covered. We thought we were going to lose our 2IC, a few SNCOs, JNCOs and Soldiers over this 50mile limit, however, it turns out that the limit can be waivered by applying to either the CO or Bde Cmdr (I forget which), through the PSAO.

If the 50mile limit was enforced then most of our unit strength north of the border would have to field the rest of their travel expenses themselves. And we all know that the Jocks tight purse strings would not be having any of it :D

I have read with interest the remarks about cuts to MTDs within other units.

At my unit we hads a briefing from the PSAO that this years budget was being don on a 'per capita' basis and mot on MTDs.

So for a weekends training the budget is set at xx no of bodies at an 'average cost of £xx per head.

Obviously the amount per head is an average of the daily rate of all ranks and is set at approx £80 per day per body.

Now this would seem fair and equitable at first sight, however, when you look a little deeper it does not add up. As a corps we have a larger propotion of people with rank and not an insignificant number above the rank of Sgt and therefore costing more than £80 per person per day.

This has led to a situation were the weekends are being considered on a rank structure basis: Do we need SSgt X in or not? If not it means we can have 3 Pvts or 2 LCpls etc instead. Leading to some weekends without any Officers! (not always a bad thing I know) but of course Officers need training as well.

Incedently before this was announced we were told that under the old system out MTDs were to be cut to 32 per year and that the new system has been worked out to give a similar result.

Nishka

I have been told that I am to inform the PSI when I approach 30 MTD's so the Bn can bid for more for me, so I guess we as an organisation are not worth the money, suppose I'll have to stop supporting the regular army on operations then, oh well your loss mr Brown (Wnaker!!!!). :x